• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

MasterBates

As someone who spends 250+ days a year in hotels.. Get the best hotel you can be reimbursed for.. And sign up for their rewards program.

(Who doesn't pay for hotels when on vacation? This guy)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
How far do you have to travel for the Navy to split the trip into 2 or more days?

The Joint Travel Regs have this detail:
C. POC
1. TDY. Generally, 1 travel day is allowed for each 400 miles of official distance of ordered travel. If the
excess distance is 1 or more miles after dividing the total official distance by 400, one additional travel day is
allowed. When the total official distance is 400 or fewer miles, 1 day of travel time is allowed. This applies to
travel by:
a. POC, if to the GOV’T’s advantage, and
b. Special conveyance (vehicle) as an authorized TDY transportation mode, and
c. GOV’T conveyance (vehicle).
2. PCS. Generally, 1 travel day is allowed for each 350 miles of official distance of ordered travel. If the
excess distance is 51 or more miles after dividing the total official distance by 350, one additional travel day is
allowed. When the total official distance is 400 or fewer miles, 1 day of travel time is allowed.

SeabeeIT2

Pros: A place to stash your "other" stuff, ie cell phone, so they don't hold on to it for you, being able to drive on liberty, being able to hang around and go where you please, when you please once you graduate.

Cons: Um...cons? You have to drive there, I guess.
We get liberty? When? How much?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Just some clarification: You get a flat per diem rate for you PCS travel, plus an additional 75% of that for each dependant over a certain age and 50% for dependants under. That is for food and lodging. You then get $.24/mile for gas. Hotel receipts are not required as you get a flat per diem either way, but keep them just in case. So if you go over budget on hotel you pay out of pocket. If under you get to keep it.

Toll receipts are only required if you exceed $75, but again keep them anyway.

Hotel receipts are required for TLE, which must be at the Navy Lodge or you must have a certificate of non availability from their front desk. Note that once you are within 50 miles of Newport you no longer get per diem for lodging but instead must claim TLE and stay at the Navy Lodge. This will be written on your orders as something like "member not authorized per diem in vicinity of destination duty station."

Liberty at OCS is highly dependent on your class team and the policy in the Officer Candidate Regulations that can change, so "when do I get liberty" is impossible to answer. Bank on week 12 and you'll never be disappointed.

SeabeeIT2

Just some clarification: You get a flat per diem rate for you PCS travel, plus an additional 75% of that for each dependant over a certain age and 50% for dependants under. That is for food and lodging. You then get $.24/mile for gas. Hotel receipts are not required as you get a flat per diem either way, but keep them just in case. So if you go over budget on hotel you pay out of pocket. If under you get to keep it.

Toll receipts are only required if you exceed $75, but again keep them anyway.

Hotel receipts are required for TLE, which must be at the Navy Lodge or you must have a certificate of non availability from their front desk. Note that once you are within 50 miles of Newport you no longer get per diem for lodging but instead must claim TLE and stay at the Navy Lodge. This will be written on your orders as something like "member not authorized per diem in vicinity of destination duty station."

Liberty at OCS is highly dependent on your class team and the policy in the Officer Candidate Regulations that can change, so "when do I get liberty" is impossible to answer. Bank on week 12 and you'll never be disappointed.

Copy. My Mode of Transportation form I am filling out advises of $.16 per mile. Does fluctuate or how do I find current rate?

red_ryder

None
We get liberty? When? How much?
Dude I don't remember, that was more than 5 years ago. It all depends on your class but mostly it's towards the very end. It's pretty much just a safe place to stash your stuff for the rest of the time.

nombrescreeno

Do most people stay at the Navy Lodge or Navy CBQ on base the Saturday night before OCS? I assume people who fly in will, but what about people who drive their POVs?

Renegade One

None
Do most people stay at the Navy Lodge or Navy CBQ on base the Saturday night before OCS? I assume people who fly in will, but what about people who drive their POVs?
I assume many have stayed in their POVs. Plan for that, even if you get a better deal.
"A pillow and a blanket? Priceless"

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Reccomend the Lodge on base. It's decent.

Agree with the Navy Lodge. It was good to have a place on base right before checking in. Have your orders ready when you drive on base and tell them you are at Navy Lodge and checking into OCS and should be no problem

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Supposedly you have to stay at the Navy Lodge if you are within 50 mi of your final destination and want to get reimbursed...any truth to this?