• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
I'm envious! Right now, we've got a pile of student loans, and a car payment. Trying to buy a 'Vette right now would be a bad idea for me. If you're in a position to do it, go for it! Though, after watching Top Gear, I kind of have a hard on for a Porsche. Maybe one of these days.

By the way, I'd love to throw down on a plane...yet again, my wife would murder me :)

We both have student loans (though she's teaching and could get them forgiven in a couple more years), she's in a lease (not my idea) and my truck is within a year of payoff, and our debt snowball is kicking into gear to payoff our bills. With the increase in pay of E-5/O-1 plus me not spending all of it while I'm in Newport, that will allow us to get ahead on our bills further than what we've planned. Seriously, look into debt snowball plans (Dave Ramsey and a couple of other people do them), it can help empower each dollar you earn to it's fullest and cut down our repayments from 4-6 years to around 2-3.

As far as the plane, I'm sure we can work out a deal...maybe a "rent to own" or something?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Are car/truck covers authorized for use at Newport?

You can drive it there and park it while you're at training. You won't be able to use it while in training for the first 8ish weeks. If you get authorized off base liberty, usually POV use is acceptable then. I recommend Providence or Boston as the chance of seeing instructors/staff is significantly reduced and there's a better chance you get hooked up for being in uniform.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Myself and 2 others got out dinner tab picked up by someone, plus a free bottle of champagne from some folks at a bar later.

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
Are car/truck covers authorized for use at Newport?

I believe I saw somewhere that you can cover your vehicle while it is parked during your time in Newport.

To build on this question, would any of you recent graduates recommend a car cover? I'm not too worried about the sun and rain, but I've heard the gulls really like to drop shells and shit on the cars; is is bad enough to warrant spending $50 on a cover?

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
...about car covers...
Car covers are pointless. I speak from experience. Mine wouldn't stay on my car and I even tied it down to both ends of the car multiple times during my "stay" at OCS. I determined two possibilities. Either someone was patrolling the lot and took off the cover to make sure it was a legitimately parked car (i.e. the note on the dashboard proving my status as an OC) or the wind was just powerful enough to blow it off given enough time.

Had I gone back in time and done it again, I would have left the cover home. And I never had any issues with birds. My only complaint was the shear amount of salt that collected on my car from sitting next to an ocean.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Either someone was patrolling the lot and took off the cover to make sure it was a legitimately parked car (i.e. the note on the dashboard proving my status as an OC) or the wind was just powerful enough to blow it off given enough time.

I have never heard of someone taking covers off to ensure the car has base privileges, but I can attest to the wind up here in Newport!!
There's a reason they raced the America's Cup sailboat races off Newport for 100+ years...

poobear24

Hi everyone! As previous posts have favored, I will also be driving my car. Just curious though about how often we will get to drive it once we begin training. My car is getting older (it's a 2001) and I'm a little concerned about the battery dying on me due to non-use. From what I've read around the internet is that classes usually get liberty around Week 9. But It would really be embarrassing as a newly minted Ensign getting a jumpstart from AAA on the day of graduation... ;)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Hi everyone! As previous posts have favored, I will also be driving my car. Just curious though about how often we will get to drive it once we begin training. My car is getting older (it's a 2001) and I'm a little concerned about the battery dying on me due to non-use. From what I've read around the internet is that classes usually get liberty around Week 9. But It would really be embarrassing as a newly minted Ensign getting a jumpstart from AAA on the day of graduation... ;)

Disconnect the battery after you park it. Pretty simple.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Investing in a battery jump pack is also another good idea. The charge in it should last long enough, should something happen. Also, jumper cables are a smart idea, though when I was at OCS (a month ago) we had jumper cables available just in case anyone's car wouldn't start.

jtmedli

pilot
My 10 year old truck sat there for 2 months after being driven all over the east coast (sort of partied my way up to OCS) and cranked up first try after being in the Newport winter. In short, I think you'll be ok. I dont recall us having anyone with a dead battery...not in my class anyways.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
The only real problem is corrosion from the bay. The screws for my car tag corroded. Maybe other stuff that I didn't catch...but even with that, well worth owning a POV.

I got many favors (not like that) for stowing people's gear in my vehicle.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
The only real problem is corrosion from the bay. The screws for my car tag corroded. Maybe other stuff that I didn't catch...but even with that, well worth owning a POV.

I got many favors (not like that) for stowing people's gear in my vehicle.

Yeah having a car in Newport is money. Specially if you get Liberty. And there is also the problem of the damn seaguls breaking shellfish on your car, which can lead to broken windshields and/or dents... I only saw one or two cars that this happened to though. I did need a new battery, but that was because mine was old.... A jump start and a quite trip to the store fixed it.