• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Australia requests authority to purchase 24 more Super Hornets

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Point being we stroked engines all the time in the Orion. In year and a half I was in the P-3 I saw 4 engines shutdown. Hell my FAM 1 in the P-3 was a 3 engine (NTS INOP). My squadron did something like 6 3 engines in 6 months.

And sure we have been training to all the single engine contingencies but I certainly don't expect to ever see a single engine landing.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
You can tell VP-30 has tried to get their claws into it, but thankfully P-8 is almost its own separate squadron. It has a building across the street, a strong cadre of instructors who don't P-3 everything. Also a plus is the fact that they have brought a lot of comair 737 guys and C-40 guys over to help, and they don't give a flying fuck about minutia.

So you're saying MPRA might not, for lack of a better term, MRPA things to death with the new aircraft?

Hmm...I'll believe it when I see it.

statesman

pilot
It remains to be seen. Thankfully I'll be long gone before the MPRA Nazis can really get their teeth into this plane.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know anyone who is upset the P-8 had half the engines. This community is very aware that the CFMs have a 0.0000001% fail rate, and no pilot I know has ever looked back after they flew the P-8, even with a 24k derate take off.
You took that too seriously, was tongue in cheek... meant to be a Poseidon sequel to the Orion "dreaded 3-engine approach". Standard half century- old VF/VA/VFA v VP 'nose tweaking'!:p

* "24k derate take off"?, duh wha' dat?:confused:
BzB

MasterBates

I've been told that losing one in a P-3 is worse than losing one in a E-2.. I'm still not buying that. Even if it's the left outboard one.

statesman

pilot
I've been told that losing one in a P-3 is worse than losing one in a E-2.. I'm still not buying that. Even if it's the left outboard one.

Thats news to me, considering that we regularly shut one down just to save gas.

Whoever told you that was an idiot.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

I doubt that, though I've never flown the Hummer. Two out on the other hand is a pretty significant issue.

MasterBates

Were you in chat when that happened.. Granted my metric was "how many HP do you have lifting X pounds" assuming both planes have enough control authority (read- above Vmcg and Vmca if you lose one on the takeoff roll).

What's a P-3 MTGW? I can wiki it, but what's the realistic number.. A Hummer is 54-55k, and a COD can be a good chunk heavier.

Granted the Hummer (and maybe someday the COD) have 5100 vs 4600 SHP, but it's still on half it's engines vice 3/4.

MasterBates

The problem is, I don't know many (if any) who have significant time in the E-2/C-2 and the P-3. I'm sure someone does, but none of us arguing did.

I've flown a Herk, and I didn't think a 3-engine would be bad, but that's the closest I've come, and that was only one flight. Not sure how an empty (save about 3/4 full fuel) Herk compares to a P3 for flight characteristics.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

I could see in a max gross weight/high/hot takeoff there being 'less to work with' with three turning and burning in 135,000# P-3 vice a what, 50 thousandish E-2. Electric P-3s, I assume, are even heavier at MGTO.

The landing/wave off...no. 3 engines aren't a real big deal...2 engines, yes.

MasterBates

P3 at Max Gross.. 135k.. 4600x3 available.. 13,800 hp

135,000/13,800 hp = 9.72 lb/hp

E-2 at Max Gross.. 56,000 5100x1 (if it's really hot... maybe 47-4900)

56,000/5100 = 10.98 lb/hp.. Not scary more, but more..

Now, the COD
56,000/4600 = 12.17 lb/hp
And it's less aerodynamic. (COD has more drag from being "boxy" than the dome adds to the E-2)