• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Auburn University

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
I am currently looking at Auburn University. I hear many good things about it, but I wanted to hear what it was like for anyone who's been there/is currently enrolled.

So, what is the University like? How crazy does it get during the football games?

Thanks,
~oz

Cleonard19

Contributor
Being from the south, and having been to more than a couple tiger games, I can tell you hands down that Auburn, like most SEC schools have some crazy football games. Remember, down here, football is a religion to many, and Auburn is no exception.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
I know that my Divo just picked a billet for instructor at the NROTC unit down there, so at the very least you'll have one cool instructor!!

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Man, Auburn keeps sounding better and better every time I talk to someone. At least I'll feel more at home - my family is all from the south (albeit different states), but I'll be right where I want to be.

Does it get cold at all during the winter?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Auburn is a crappy school that smells like cows. There are much better places to go.

FastMover

NFO
None
What type of degree were you thinking of getting? Each school has its strong suits. Is there any particular reason why you were leaning towards going to Auburn?

Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't put in a plug for UF here. The football atmosphere is fantastic, campus is very nice, plenty of hotties, etc. It does get cold in the winter...at least to me it does.

Navywareagle would be the person to ask about Auburn. I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees this thread. If you have any questions about UF feel free to PM me. Go Gators!

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
What type of degree were you thinking of getting? Each school has its strong suits. Is there any particular reason why you were leaning towards going to Auburn?
I'm looking at getting an electrical engineering degree - I've seen the STA-21 degree plan from the Auburn NROTC unit and it looks pretty attainable - provided I can keep up with the studying during my involvement there, that is.

Primary reasons? They'll take credit from the universities and colleges I've been to, their cost of tuition isn't astronomical, and it's within 2 hours of family.

boobcheese

I got picked up for STA-21 in 03' (nuke submariner/ELT) and graduated from Auburn in August 06'. Overall I liked the town/school/unit. Auburn has a good engineering school, hot chicks (fun to look at even if you're married) and Football/tailgating is awesome. As far as the unit OCs will be expected to attend drill in the afternoon with the mids twice a week. One day in uniform where you will be doing close order drill, i.e. marching, for about an hour and one day where you will be doing GMT related to whatever community you plan on going to or a Battalion PT. There is also company PT once a week, again usually in the afternoons. The marching kind of blows and it gets old quick but it could be worse. Every home football game 4 OCs will be required to lead the freshmen mids for a flag ceremony prior to kickoff. This is divided up amongst all but the senior OCs and usually means only one or two games a season. After your first semester or two you will probably be expected to hold some type of billet (Ops, Academics, Company CO/XO, etc) which can require a decent amount of time depending on the billet. There is an occasional all-hands weekend event like helping out with a JROTC field meet but these are infrequent enough to not be a big deal. Keep in mind that while my info is fairly recent things can change quickly if there is a new CO/XO around.

**OC's don't/didn't have to do freshman orientation

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
a plug for UF here. The football atmosphere is fantastic, campus is very nice, plenty of hotties, etc. It does get cold in the winter...at least to me it does...Go Gators!

I was there today... Met with a few LT's and got a quick look around as I dropped off my Transcripts to the Admissions Office and then went to look and the College of Engineering... Nice Campus, Nice View :D, good sports, but in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE IN FL!!!!

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
I got picked up for STA-21 in 03' (nuke submariner/ELT) and graduated from Auburn in August 06'. Overall I liked the town/school/unit. Auburn has a good engineering school, hot chicks (fun to look at even if you're married) and Football/tailgating is awesome. As far as the unit OCs will be expected to attend drill in the afternoon with the mids twice a week. One day in uniform where you will be doing close order drill, i.e. marching, for about an hour and one day where you will be doing GMT related to whatever community you plan on going to or a Battalion PT. There is also company PT once a week, again usually in the afternoons. The marching kind of blows and it gets old quick but it could be worse. Every home football game 4 OCs will be required to lead the freshmen mids for a flag ceremony prior to kickoff. This is divided up amongst all but the senior OCs and usually means only one or two games a season. After your first semester or two you will probably be expected to hold some type of billet (Ops, Academics, Company CO/XO, etc) which can require a decent amount of time depending on the billet. There is an occasional all-hands weekend event like helping out with a JROTC field meet but these are infrequent enough to not be a big deal. Keep in mind that while my info is fairly recent things can change quickly if there is a new CO/XO around.

**OC's don't/didn't have to do freshman orientation

Thank you. That tells me quite a bit. As for marching, you might think I'm a little bit sick here, but I have a slight taste for it. A small part of me even misses it a little bit. Overall, it sounds like Auburn University is a nice area. Thanks for all the input guys.

As for the universities in Florida, I've been in Florida a time or twelve. I like to visit the state but I don't really like the thought of attending college there. I don't know exactly what it is, but I don't think I'd want to go through college there.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
You could be a Colorado Buffalo...if you like beautiful babies and beautiful views. The engineering school is one of the best in the country as well.

My wife went to Auburn and I couldn't handle hicksville...I mean Alabama.