• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATSB Questions

Rasczak

Marine
It depends on what gets thrown at you. On the answer form is a spot that you fill in to show which supplemental section you took and there was about 15-20 different supplemental spots that could be bubbled in.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Thanks!

So I just recently have been looking into the BDCP and my recruiter told me last Friday about the ASTB. He had been mentioning an 'Aptitude test' for a while, but I had no idea what it was or what it was called. Anyways, he told me on Friday that he could give the test to me on Tuesday. I panicked, since there was a total of FOUR days to prepare for this test that one could only take three times in one's lifetime. I immediately jumped on the computer and found this forum, and it was definitely a great crash course to familiarize myself with the test.

FastMover

NFO
None
So I just recently have been looking into the BDCP and my recruiter told me last Friday about the ASTB. He had been mentioning an 'Aptitude test' for a while, but I had no idea what it was or what it was called. Anyways, he told me on Friday that he could give the test to me on Tuesday. I panicked, since there was a total of FOUR days to prepare for this test that one could only take three times in one's lifetime. I immediately jumped on the computer and found this forum, and it was definitely a great crash course to familiarize myself with the test.

Four days isn't enough time to study, especially if you don't have any aviation background. Don't let him rush you. It shouldn't be a problem for your recruiter to give you the test later on. Don't waste an attempt if you're not ready!!

drock

I just took form 5 and had all reading comp for the supplemental section. I was wondering if the supplemental section of the ASTB is counted toward your score? If so, which ones? Thanks

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Four days isn't enough time to study, especially if you don't have any aviation background. Don't let him rush you. It shouldn't be a problem for your recruiter to give you the test later on. Don't waste an attempt if you're not ready!!

Ay, that's ok. Too late...haha...We'll see how the scores are when they get back from NOMI. If not good, I guess I can always re-take, even though I wouldn't want to.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Im planning on taking the test over the summer. The Aviation officer here has tons of ASTB prep books so i'll be studying like crazy over the summer months.

reggieslu

Columbia.edu ASTB gouge

Good evening, I have noticed that the gouge that was formerly available at columbia.edu is no longer there. Does anyone know if this same page is available somewhere else now, or is it best just to find another source. Thanks.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
If you search around, you can find some of the PDFs that were offered on the Columbia site that are linked on AW. Some of the other things on the Columbia site are the FAA website and a Boating Education site called "Know your Boat".

vincentjus

I'm preparing to take the test as well. Which books should I study and what sections? Or should I strictly go by the gouge?

BigRed389

None
You know, ultimately this is all relative to how ready you are to begin with, and what you're shooting for(just pass, or max out?).

If you think taking the SAT now would be a friggin joke, then you can probably skip any studying on the math and verbal, as the ASTB is the same, if not easier.
Similar points apply to physics(the mechanical section), the vast majority is mechanics and basic electrical, but they might throw in a curveball like optics in a question or two. Also expect a lot of "gears" and "pulley" stuff which isn't covered in your typical physics course, but is pretty easy to figure out, and is covered by the Marine gouge.

If you read up on aviation/naval history for "fun", you're covered for roughly half, if not more of the aviation/nautical portion. Then there's stuff you probably learned already while getting a PPL, boating license, or meterology degree.
If like me, none of those apply, you're going to have to do your own dirty work and research that stuff.

For the spatial, I recommend figuring out a system...I used heading, pitch, horizon and tested it on the Arco as a confidence booster.

The Marine gouge is good and basically helps you study for the stuff you can probably expect on every form, but IMO getting that stuff down cold won't guarantee that you'll ace it. It's really up to you to figure out what you want and how hard you want to work to get there.
The Marine gouge will probably pass you, but won't guarantee you'll ace it.

My $0.02 on the subject.

bsubdevils

My little piece of advice:

Slow down. Don't rush. Read carefully, relax, and just make sure you're doing everything correctly. You will have enough time - I promise. It really helped me:

First try: 49/6/6/7
Second Try: 56/7/7/7

Tombstone

Hey everyone I need some help with an issue that has come about with my little brother! He took the ASTB for the second time and has not yet recieved a good enough score for Aviation OCS with the Marine Corps! I have passed my ASTB and have been selected for Aviation OCS in the Marine Corps! So of course he is not feeling good with his scores, and it upsets me to see him like that. Here is my question, when he went through the test he said the things he had the most trouble with was the reading and mechanical comprehension part of the test! We have all the study guides from ARCO and the marine astb overview on this website. So I need to know if there is any thing else out there that can help him with those two portions of the test. I don't know how else to help him out so maybe some of you can help. Anything would be appreciated. He will take the test for the last time in August. Thanks Again.