• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATSB Questions

Conaway

Ok I took the ASTB today and made 5/5/5 with a 51 on the OAR. My recruiter said that this was really good with my 3.5 gpa.

Thanks to everyone here.

Man, are you serious? Your OSO told you that was good? I have to take it again and I scored a 5/6/5 and a 47 OAR. Whatever, more reason to get those 8's.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
My recruiter said that GPA is more important than test scores for BDCP guys. She also said that test scores were more important than GPA for straight-to-OCS applicants like myself. If this is true, that could have something to do with him being recommended to send in the package.

All the same, if your recruiter says it's pretty good, then send it. If you don't get selected, though (and hopefully you will), consider retaking the test.

Conaway

My recruiter said that GPA is more important than test scores for BDCP guys. She also said that test scores were more important than GPA for straight-to-OCS applicants like myself. If this is true, that could have something to do with him being recommended to send in the package.

All the same, if your recruiter says it's pretty good, then send it. If you don't get selected, though (and hopefully you will), consider retaking the test.

Oh ok, you're BDCP. Other than your gpa that's your advantage that I don't have. I already I am planning to take it again, just a bummer that I need to, you know? Good luck.

collegegrad

Hey Conaway, don't worry - I'm in the same boat. I scored 47 5/5/5 on the ASTB and although I'm not looking into aviation, my recruiter recommended I retake. So I'll be going over some math problems until I take the test at the end of January.

FastMover

NFO
None
Pointers for taking the ASTB

Hi everyone. I took the ASTB yesterday ( 5 Jan 2006) in Gainesville and thought that I would try to give you guys some tips since I used the gouge here on Airwarriors so much myself.

First, I would highly recommend the ARCO book. I know others have said that it doesn't really help that much, but I don't agree. At least not for the form that I took. Several of the questions that I had in the Math and Mechanical Comp sections were the same as they were in the ARCO book, only they had different numbers. If you are studying for the ASTB and don't have this book, find it on the internet or buy it from a bookstore NOW. I felt that it helped me quite a bit.

Secondly, use the Marine gouge. Know how to apply the concepts listed in it.

I don't think that any of the study guides that I used were a good representation as to what I saw on the Spacial Apperception. I did very well on the practice tests in the ARCO book and on the guides I found on the internet, but the time limit killed me on the real test. The drawings were quite a bit different versus what were in the guides. You must work quickly on this section!

The reading comprehension was a little tougher than I had anticipated as well. Again, time is a factor here. I have always been an "English person," but found myself reading through the passages six or seven times trying to get the answer. I found that several of the passages were kind of tricky to read.

The easiest part of the test(for me anyways) was the Aviation/Nautical information section. You should know about all of the control surfaces of an airplane, the kinds of altitude (density, pressure, etc), how altitude affects lift, parts of ships (freeboard, draft, forcastle, etc). Know about runways, how they're numbered and so on. My brother is currently training for his private pilot's liscense, and I found a couple of his books extremely helpful for this section. The best one that I used was Jeppesen's Private Pilot Handbook (ISBN 0-88487-333-1). If you can find this book used on the web I'd highly recommend it. It covers everything you would need to know.

That's all that I can think of right now. If I remeber any other good pointers I'll post them for you guys. Good luck and GO GATORS!

Daniel

FastMover

NFO
None
I recieved my scores today.

AQR: 7
PFAR: 8
FOFAR: 5
OAR: 54

My recruiter said that's good enough for NFO, but recommended that I take it again since I'm trying to get SNA (they would like to see an OAR of around 58 or better. My GPA isn't that hot either, but I'm working on that). I would gladly take either, but would rather go SNA. Provided that the forms don't vary that much I think that I could do at least that well or better on the next try.

Daniel

FastMover

NFO
None
I went back for round 2 with the ASTB this morning. The first time I had Form 3, this time Form 4. Most of the stuff was basically the same, but I found Form 4 a little more difficult. The biggest problem was time. I would highly suggest that anyone studying for the test try to work each question as FAST as possible.

If any of you who are studying for the ASTB don't already have the ARCO book, buy it now!!

Rasczak

Marine
I called my recruiter.
me: "Hello sir, I wanna schedule a date to take the ASTB"
him:"Oh yea? Hey, I'll be in harlingen this weekend, you ready to take it"
me:"Sure!"
about a minute later I realized, oh crap, I didn't want to take it for another 2 weeks. Oh well.
Ehh. I'm ready.

MettGT

pilot
^^^ Similar thing happened to me. After trying a couple weeks to get a hold of my OSA, he finally calls me back:

Me: Master Gunny, I need to get the ASTB scheduled
MGySgt: Ok, how does tomorrow morning at 9am sound.
Me: Great
*Hangs Up*
Me: Crap, so much for my plans for tonight.

Rasczak

Marine
Math math math math math. Study Math.
The supplemental stuff caught me off guard and I don't feel I did that section to the best of my abilities. The rest of the test was alright though. I felt I did exceptionally well, up until I took the supplemental stuff.

FastMover

NFO
None
My recruiter called with my scores from my 2nd attempt yesterday. I got the exact same score on every section that I got on my first try. What are the chances...? Oh well, at least it didn't go down.

badger16

None
Math math math math math. Study Math.
The supplemental stuff caught me off guard and I don't feel I did that section to the best of my abilities. The rest of the test was alright though. I felt I did exceptionally well, up until I took the supplemental stuff.

What is so different from the supplemental compaired to the other sections? I thought it was just a mix of the other parts?

Rasczak

Marine
Not for me. It was all math. I made the mistake of dwelling too long on a couple of questions and it cut into my time really bad.

One good tip, be well rested. By the end of the test I was tired as hell.

badger16

None
@ rasczak- thanks for the heads up.

is the suplimental section all math on all forms? Or does it depend on the form you take?