• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

!!!!!!!ASTB TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I took the test a week or two ago, and to make the story short, I need a retest. I did well on everything except the spatial apperception portion. My score would have been pretty competitive if I could have done better on this part. I can do the practice in the ARCO book and get all of the answers right with plenty of time to spare. The real test questions seemed more difficult to me. Maybe just test-taker anxiety. Anyway, does anyone have any tips on how to improve my score? The drawings in the test seemes less "cut and dry" than ARCO and basically I just went too slow. Large bank vs. small bank and angle towards land threw me off a little. Ideas? Thanks.

jason12

ok here is what i noticed about the test version which i am happy to say i got all 35 right with some time to spare....sorry didn't mean to brag but i studied my a$$ of for that section...anyways check this out i used it on almost every question and passed it...when the plane is flying along the shore, not specifically out to sea or back to land....you can see a sort of erosion on the sand....almost makes the sand look like a little cliff...that's how you know when you're parallel with the ocean and land... So basically when you can see the cliff and not just the sand merging straight into water you're goin neither out to sea or to land but straight up the coast...i mean this seemed to work for me on almost every problem i encountered...now unless its extremely obvious that you're headed toward land and you can still kinda make out the cliff..then obviously you're headed toward land or water...but try to remember this next time you take the test...it really helped me out...and you're right the arco book is nothing like the test only in that it lets you know that somethin similar to it is on the test, but the situation of the plane on the choices a b c d is weird the plane looks like its in a dive but its really in straight line look for an aggressive dive and an aggressive turn for banks and turns everything is dramatic on that test...so if it just kinda maybe possibly might be that the plane looks to be climbing...it probably isn't....hope this helps somewhat if not as some more i'm glad to help anyone...like i told skywrdbound in the e-mail i sent him...we're all in this together, its the least i can do to help anyone out with what i learned!!!!

mimisoko9

jason-

do you remember if you took test form 1 or 2?

and can you offer any tips for the math/verbal section in particular? any question you distinctly remember that you might have wanted to have been forewarned about?

thanks.

jason12

i took form 1, and the worst problems are undoubtedly the word problems, look in the ASTB section and check under Help please section its a lengthy e-mail i sent to skywrdbound...gives a rundown of how i looked at and studied the test....i mean its not a definite guide just my experience :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
THe Marine Corp Study guide (on this website under gouge) lists a three step process (in no particular order) to determine the correct answers to the spatial apperception portion of the test:
1: To Land/To Shore/Parallel to Shore
2: Climb/Dive/Level
3: Bank L/R or No bank
The guide goes on to expound on these rules and make some exceptions....Take a look...you may find it worth your while.

As far as you scores, the Navy min's are 3/4/4 (AQR/PFAR/NFAR). The higher the scores the more competitive you are, so a 5/7/6 is not too bad. The AQR is supposed to be an idicator on how well you'll academically (API & Flt pipeline) and the FAR is supposed to be an indicator on how you will perform in the cockpit during training.
ea6bflyr
icon_smile_wink.gif

jason12

well that's a relief....now the only thing that has me a little paranoid is the fact that as my recruiter was reading over my scores, he suggested that i retake the test? i mean should i jeopardize the scores i got trying to do better on a new form (form 2 if i retake) or should i get my stuff together and submit??

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everyone I know that studied after taking the test the first time did a whole bunch better the second time around (and most of them took form 2...I think it might be a bit easier or it might be because you were exposed to the material).

The other score we did not talk about was your OAR (Officer Apptitude Rating). This is a very important score if you are trying to get into OCS. The OAR does not apply to NROTC or Academy folks because they are already in a commissioning program. Do you happen to know how you did in this area? It may be the reason the recruiter is telling you to take it again. Again, the higher the scores the more competitive you are. My advice is that if the recruiter suggests you take it again, take it again. You only have to wait 30 days between the first test and the second test and if you study you are bound to do better on the subsequent test. Good luck!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

skywrdbound

Ok, just got done with the test (Version 2) and scored 6/7/6. The marine study guide is a freakin god send! Practically i-freakin-dentical! my buddy took form 1 and said it too was very similar... he got 9/8/9... geniuses I tell you! Thanks for the tips to all who posted, see you in the fleet!

paullatina

ASTB tomorrow at 2pm...Nervious as all hell...I'll try to remember as many examples as I can for the board...I think I'm ready I think I'm ready!!

Bserton

Just took Test 2. STUDY the Marine Guide. Most questions are EXACTLY the same as the guide. You'll do fine.

Bserton

I do. Both were extremely similiar.....meaning they used the same problems as the study guide with different numbers. If you know how to do EACH problem, you will be fine.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Paullatina,

Good luck ... and just remember ...... when the hell in life are you going to ever need the Pythagorian Theorum ....... on the friggin ASTB (HAHAHA). Let us know how it goes. I'm taking mine again on the 25th!

Peace,

-Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.