• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Prep Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_ttu

Ok, another question. I think I'm pretty studied up for this. But I wanted to get some fine touches. I know the one I took had word problems and no graphs. Can someone tell me what kind of graphs to expect and what they will want from them? Do I need to study sin, cos, tan? And if so what do I need to know about them? Do I need to just know how they are graphed? Or is there something I need to know? It's been so long I can't remember how each looks on a graph *grins*

sonnyb

cman:I'm submitting my application for an NFO slot too. My recruiter told me that the board is looking for an AQR of 6 and a FOFAR of 6 or 7. my stats were 51, 6,6. so hopefully that'll be competitive enough. It's funny, I've always heard that the Navy is always in need of NFOs. I guess with the influx of all these applications, every slot is becoming more competitive..just my luck. My recruiter insists that I have a better shot if I submit in Oct. But of course, everybody else will being doing the same thing.

ghost:I took test 1. I remember a couple of graph problems. There was one problem in which i used the soh cah toa principle (sin=opp/hyp cos=adj/hyp tan=op/adj) I think it was pretty straightforward. They give you a 3,4,5 right triangle. They either ask for sin/cos/tan of an angle or the side of the triangle. There was also a question on how to find the distance between points on the coordinate plane. For example, what is the distance from (2,3) to (-1,-1). subtract the y values, you get -4, the x values, you get -3. from there, you can tell that it's a 3,4,5 triangle. so the distance is 5.

cman

Sonnyb

Yeah, I've heard that from some other people about applying in Oct. That's different from what my recruiter told me, but who know with those guys. His logic was that after Oct 1, the apps. would start flooding in and it would be better to get it in before that. Like I said though-- who knows.

My plan was to go ahead and get it in before, but I'm having to jump through some hoops to get a med. waiver, so that is slowing me down and at this point I'll be lucky to have everything ready by then.

Chances are you'll be applying before me, so let me know when you do send you package in. Our stats sound similar and we're both going for NFO, so I'll be interested to hear what happens.

Chris

cman

One other thing. Most of the people on this board are shooting for pilot. It makes me wonder just how competitive NFO is going to be.

Just a thought.

Chris

Yukon

Hey dudes, this is all excellent info on the ASTB. Thanks everybody for answering my original question about how closely the Marine prep resembles the actual ASTB. I'll be sure to divulge any info I can about the test when I take it in a couple weeks. Thanks again!...Pete

ghost_ttu

I looked this up last night. It makes since now, thank you!

quote:
cman:I'm submitting my application for an NFO slot too. My recruiter told me that the board is looking for an AQR of 6 and a FOFAR of 6 or 7. my stats were 51, 6,6. so hopefully that'll be competitive enough. It's funny, I've always heard that the Navy is always in need of NFOs. I guess with the influx of all these applications, every slot is becoming more competitive..just my luck. My recruiter insists that I have a better shot if I submit in Oct. But of course, everybody else will being doing the same thing.

ghost:I took test 1. I remember a couple of graph problems. There was one problem in which i used the soh cah toa principle (sin=opp/hyp cos=adj/hyp tan=op/adj) I think it was pretty straightforward. They give you a 3,4,5 right triangle. They either ask for sin/cos/tan of an angle or the side of the triangle. There was also a question on how to find the distance between points on the coordinate plane. For example, what is the distance from (2,3) to (-1,-1). subtract the y values, you get -4, the x values, you get -3. from there, you can tell that it's a 3,4,5 triangle. so the distance is 5.

kent1644

Ghost,
Just wondering if you can remember any of the Math and Mechanical from the test you took today. Its definitely time to begin the regeritation process.

ghost_ttu

Kent:

If you take the 2nd test (the brown book) the math and mechanical is right from the marine study guide. You will need to know the cos, sin, tan formulas. I remember a question about when a standard plane approaches the ground what does it do. One answer was begin to yaw to one side, another answer was float (I put float b/c not all airplanes would begin to yaw) you'll need to know how to find the area of a perfect triangle. I don't remember the formula off the top of my head. There is a graphed question that gives you the box with the triangle like in the marine study guide, but it doesn't give you the sides it will give you a few coordinates so you'll need to figure out the sides to get the area of the triangle. None of the aviation questions are jumping out at me, but I think a lot of that is due to the fact that if you study the marine guide I think it touches on most of the questions.

kent1644

Ghost,

I really appriciate it. Its been so long since I have taken form 1, does that form have more word problems, I can't remember? Is the Mechanical Comp. on the Marine study Guide pretty close to the actual test? The reason I ask is because I am stongly considering taking the test for a third time in December if I don't get accepted, and this time I will have the Marine Study Guide to use, it really sucks having to give up an OAR of 53.

ghost_ttu

Kent what are your AQR, PFAR? for pilot they are looking for 6,7 respectively. With a 53, I imagine you have that. But the brown book has less word problems, and the mechanical is from the marine review.

kent1644

Ghost,
Actually my PFAR was 4 and my FOFAR was 5 my AQR was 6, I didn't have the Marine study guide when I took it, and I had some problems with the nautical questions, not to mention I ran out of time on the Spatial part, I was thinking I had more time than I actually did. I am going to submit anyway, because everything else with my package looks good, Instrument Rating, College Athlete, and a really good prt, not to mention a 3.2 gpa in Finance, but it probably isn't going to matter because it seems all the board looks at is that PFAR score. The thing is I have scored perfect 100's on both my private pilot written exam and my Instrument written exam, but I don't remember aviation questions on the ASTB being the same type of questions they ask on those written exam for the FAA. Man I wish I would have had the Aviation/Nautical part of that Marine study guide when I took it, because I won't be able to retest until December, and I am 24, hell by that time the Navy is going to be accepting pilots for 2006 and I am going to be to old to reapply. On the other hand I might just get my commercial and CFI then reapply without a retest, because the needs of the navy change all the time, but its definitely not looking like its going to be anytime soon.

ghost_ttu

have you taken it twice already? With those scores do you meet the previous minimums? I don't remember what they were previously. And you are dead wrong about the age thing. I'm 25, I'll turn 26 next May. If you have to wait till December you can retake, and resubmit and you still will be ahead of me, but if age becomes a factor they will get you into a quick OCS class to get you commissioned.

kent1644

Ghost,
I was just joking about 2006, and the minimums are still AQR 3 PFAR4 FOFAR 4, but they want you to have 7's to be competitive. I talked with my recruiter 2 days ago and that is what he told me. He told me to submit with what I have since I am instrument rated, and since my prt scores are really good, he also told me that with an OAR of 53 that would probably make a good impression, but I guess we will just have to wait and see. I personally think I am wasteing my time the way things are right now. My recruiter told me he has had tons of people get accepted with those same type stats, but its been a while. From reading other peoples posts on this forum it is obvious that that the Board wants one thing and one thing only, and that is a 7 on the PFAR. By the way I have taken the test twice already but the first time I took it, I took it with no studying and I did not do so well on it.

Edited by - kent1644 on 09/11/2002 22:52:49

Status
Not open for further replies.