• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Prep Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon

I've got a question for anybody that has taken the ASTB and used the Marine ASTB Prep Test as a study tool. I've got both the Arco book and the ASTB prep test and was wondering how closely the marine prep test questions resemble those on the actual ASTB? As far as the types of questions and the way they are written? If you know the stuff on the prep test are you prepared enough for the different kinds of word problems, math knowledge etc.? Thanks in advance for your responses and accept my apologies if these questions have already been answered..I'm a newbie --Pete

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Pete,

I took the ASTB in Feb of 2000 when I was a Fresman and failed the math portion. The next 2 semesters I took Algebra and Trig, and then took the ASTB again and did good on all portions. I think the study guide is great and helped me a lot. If you're good at math, I wasn't, then you'll have no problem. I just needed a couple of refresher courses. I don't know what to say about the word problems, they are still "mind boggling" to me.
Hope this helps.

"You forgot your furtune cookie"

Dirty Harry

kent1644

Yukon,

The ASTB Marine study guide is a lot like the real test. Several of the questions are exactly the same. The aviation/nautical is very much the same. The Spatial in the ARCO is a little different than what is on the actual test.

cman

Pete, I took the ASTB last month and the Marine study guide was almost on the money. The math is real close, but on the test I took (I think it was form 2) there were two trig problems mixed in. For the most part it's all algebra and from what I remember there were maybe 6 or 7 questions that are right off the study guide. As for the rest, the question may look different, but the way it's solved is the same. If you can do the problems on the study guide you shouldn't have a problem with the math section. I can also tell you that the mechanical section of the test is to the letter, as well as the aviation/nautical information section. So study those pretty close because you WILL see the same questions with the same wording on the test.

Chris

ghost_ttu

cman:

Off the top of your head can you think of something close to what trig questions were asked? Like can you give me an example? I don't remember any trig questions on the first version that I took and I'm taking the 2nd one this next week.

kent1644

Ghost,
On the Marine study guide the question where they give you the Equilateral Triange and the sides are 6. That question is on the test. They ask you the average of 1/50 + 1/150 and the answer is 1/75 I know there is a Parabola question, I know they ask you to solve the sides of a triangle using trig with sin and cos, they ask you a couple of electrical circuit questions on the mechanical, I know the Rocket ship question is also on the test, the same one that is in the Marine study guide. On the aviation/nautical know that Marine study guide backward and foward, because like a day after I took the test I discovered this webpage and the Marine study guide, it really looked the identical to the actual test. What killed me on the test was time on the Spatial, and the fact that I don't know sh** about ships Nautical Info and Naval History. Right now I don't have that study guide with me, but when I get home I will look at it and see if I can remember anything else. When you get done taking the test Tuesday try to jot down some of the questions that you remember and let me know what they are. I don't think there was very much trig at all, all I can remember is that one question about the Triangle, Just lots of Geometry.

ghost_ttu

Thank you Kent, anything else that comes to mind is very welcome. Now I have to look over sin and cos cause I can't remember squat about parabolas (not even sure if that is spelled correctly).

kraemer77

Can anyone tell me where I can get the Marine test prep for the ASTB? I am not very pleased with the ARCO test prep and need to improve my math scores. I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Kraemer77

cman

Kraemer -- get the study guide here: http://www.geocities.com/seadog138/

Ghost, what Kent said he remembers about the trig stuff sounds about right to me. Honestly, I saw the questions, recognized they were trig, knew I didn't have a clue, guessed, and moved on. I hadn't had trig since like 1991 when I was a junior in HS.

For anyone else who may be following this thread and has taken the test more than once, which of the test did you feel were more difficult? I've only taken it once and had TEST 2 at the top of my test book. Although my scores were ok, I'm concidering retaking the test due the navy raising its "minimum" score reqs.

Thanks, Chris

ghost_ttu

Chris that is the boat that I'm in. I have a 50 OAR, but I have a 5 on one of the scores that needs to be a 7. I didn't have any flight hours when I took the test and I have over 100 hours now so I think that will help a lot. And I have the marine study guide this time :D but my recruiter seems to know what he is talking about (he is an aviator) and he told me that I need to take it again to get a slot.

Ray

Are you going for a marine slot? I thought the highest Navy section score requirement was 5. But its been like four years since I took the test. So what do I know.

Honk if you demand satisfaction.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
cman,

I thought that test 1 was harder.

Dirty Harry

cman

E5B-- thanks for the input, one more question though. Which section is the most different, and how does TEST 1 compare with the marine study guide? I really only need to improve my math/verbal to raise my FOFAR to a 7. I did pretty well on the other sections but could improve there too-- except the mechanical where I only missed 2; I'd rather just keep that score.

Ghost-- yes, I think we're rowing up the same stream at the moment. Are you going for pilot or NFO. I'm caught by the age restriction and will have to apply for NFO if I want to be any where near an aircraft. My scores were 6, 5, 53 and my recruiter told me that for NFO the board is wanting AQR 6, and FOFAR 7. However, after talking with my recruiter after the test, he said that 6 months ago I would have gotten my acceptance for NFO within 48 hrs with the same scores and that I should go ahead and submit and see what happens. But now after reading some of the other post around the forum, I'm starting to think that I should retest. I wish there was some more gouge for NFO, most of the people on here are seeking SNA.

Thanks, and keep the info flowing guys, that's what makes this forum work.

Chris

ghost_ttu

I had 5,6 50 I'm going for pilot, and yes same boat I submitted back at the middle of May and I was denied. So I'll just roll the dice again.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
cman,

I thought Math was the only real difference. As for the comparison with the study guide, I don't remember. Thats been over 2 years, and over 100 college hours ago. I am a Marine of 8 years now, and was finally accepted as an SNA. I'm not familiar with what all the NFO gets to fly in, other than the F-14. What are your other options, and do ya'll get to pick? I'm just curious. I recommend all to read the book "Air Warriors--The making of a Naval Aviator". Outstanding reading material and insight. I couldn't put it down. Good luck to all that will be testing. See ya'll in the fleet.

Dirty Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.