• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB: How much studying?

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I'm currently a college junior getting ready to apply to BDCP, but I'm not sure of two things.

1) If I want to work on and complete my application over winter break, when should I start studying for the ASTB, and how long do you thing "enough" time to study would be?

2) Could you recommend any good study guides? I've found quite a few on Amazon, but I'm not sure which are worth a shit.

Thanks!

Mattatron

Now with extra pork!
pilot
There is no such thing as too much preperation. I took the ASTB a few months ago and just got Pro-rec'd SNA and SNFO. The math on the test shocked me at how much more complicated it was than the guides I had studied. I dedicated a few hours a night for about a month and a half to study and could have done a lot better than I did (I felt like I didn't prepare enough). If you have taken math classes in college that are Calculus and above (I didn't) you shouldn't have many problems.I'm not too sure on how many versions of the ASTB there are out there but mine had a bunch of algebraic fractions that I absolutely forgot how to do the second they popped up on the screen. The math was the only section that tripped me up though. The guides listed below and the gouges you can find on AW will help exponentially but the more you can study on all the subjects listed, the better. Good luck buddy.

The 6P's = Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

The guides I used:
http://www.amazon.com/Military-Flig...4834446?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194296569&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Officer-Candi...4834446?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194296569&sr=8-2

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do a search on this website for ASTB and you shall find your answers to question 2.

As far as how much is enough....it all depends. You can take the test three times....there are only three versions of the test. The hardest part to study is the time factor. You have alloted time for each portion of the test. Study concepts and problem solving....you will see very simular questions on the test.

How much you study is directly related to how badly you want a shot a Naval Aviation.

-ea6bflyr

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I don't want a shot at Naval Aviation, I want to go into Intel/IW, actually. I just peruse Air Warriors because there are a lot of officers' wives and shitty gouge on USNavyOCS.com...

Rasczak

Marine
The ARCO books are the best ones. There is a link on here somewhere for a free pdf copy of it. Use that and make sure you know what your doing and youl be alright.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Definitely start studying a few weeks in advance. I went with the ARCO book and the study guide provided by AW. The ARCO book, in my experience at least, offered questions that were slightly harder than the test itself. I ended up doing well and selecting first try using those two resources. Don't stress over it too much, most of the Math is at a college algebra level.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Also consider that the test is designed to determine how you will do in flight school, I know youre not going out for flight but it applies regardless. The test is designed so that studying doesnt help all that much.

Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt have gotten the score I did had I not looked at the Arco book, however that was more just to get me familiar with the format of the test. I didnt really "learn" anything new during my studying.

To be honest playing Halo helped me just about as much. It was only through Halo that I knew the cube root of 343 is 7.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Well, for things like Intel/IW (more specifically Intel), how much math/verbal/mechanical/spatial aperception/etc. respectively is taken into account when determining my score? That is, if the ASTB is designed for flight aptitude and I'm not really trying to be a pilot, then how much of the OAR/AQT is taken into account for say, Intel?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I dont know much about the test outside of what is applicable to Aviation, however as I understand it your OAR will not change with respect to your preferred community. Your OAR is a function of the test only.

Your OAR however may determine if you are selected for your preferred community.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

There are several threads around that discuss what is used to calculate the OAR. Try searching through the ASTB gouge.

MasterBates

I am still amazed at the studying for these tests. Maybe you should do what I did, and while you are in the recruiters office, take the ASTB introduced as the "Pilot Test" and take it cold.

Sometimes overthinking is just as bad as not studying. Maybe worse.

phrogpilot73

I am still amazed at the studying for these tests. Maybe you should do what I did, and while you are in the recruiters office, take the ASTB introduced as the "Pilot Test" and take it cold.

I took the ASTB cold the first time (as a college freshman) in a recruiter's office and passed for Navy pilot, not Marine pilot.

Second time I took the ASTB cold as well, but this time as a college junior (after all the math/science USNA puts you through) and got a score good enough for the Marines.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

I took it cold the first time and got 4/5/5 - 46. The second time I took it I studied for 3 weeks straight and got a 5/7/6 - 50. Got Pro-Rec SNA with that, first board I was on (October).

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I took it cold the first time and got 4/5/5 - 46. The second time I took it I studied for 3 weeks straight and got a 5/7/6 - 50. Got Pro-Rec SNA with that, first board I was on (October).

But you did go to the University of Phoenix, it could have given you the edge.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
But you did go to the University of Phoenix, it could have given you the edge.

Man you are such a tool. Being prior enlisted, I can tell your the Officer in your squadron that nobody respects. They may salute you because of your uniform, but they laugh at you behind your back because you are a joke.

-Ken