• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB: How much studying?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
^
Way a to shove a boot way up your own ass on that one. Try not to take a little good natured ribbing to heart.

There's a difference in good natured ribbing and just being an asshole. This isn't a one time thing with him. So without knowing the history, please refrain from coming to his defense. Thanks.

-Ken

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Second time I took the ASTB cold as well, but this time as a college junior (after all the math/science USNA puts you through) and got a score good enough for the Marines.

I am in a similar boat (sts). I took the test cold my junior year in college and did good enough for atleast Navy pilot. IIRC it was good enough for Marine too. I also did have the benefit of the same kind education that phrog73 had.

Didn't someone around here mention that it is an aptitude test? As such, studying too much can cover your "lack of aptitude"? I am not trying to say don't study, but just trying to learn more about the test.

red_ryder

None
I'd say as long as it takes you to personally get a good mastery of the material. I found the ARCO book to be a big help, the marine gouge was probably a bigger help, and for the knowledge part I looked up the FAA pilot's handbook and some online nautical terms glossaries, and that worked...so however long it takes for you to feel comfortable with those. I'm sure it depends on the person.

Course, the sooner you start, the better.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I got a 7/7/7 57 my first try, with 10 hours of studying spent on brushing up my math skills.

As far as the actual administration of the test...I had extra time in every section to check back over my answers but hauled ass through them the first time. If I couldn't make much progress right away I would mark the question and move on.

It really is an aptitude test that requires skills you have built over a long period of time. It's difficult to wing. I found the mechanical comprehension the most difficult. Math was about geometry/trigonometry level.

I recommend using all the study materials on this site. I used the ARCO book and a few of the other supplements you can find on here. I also went online and practiced random math story problems.

rezendesn

I got a 7/7/7 57 my first try, with 10 hours of studying spent on brushing up my math skills.

As far as the actual administration of the test...I had extra time in every section to check back over my answers but hauled ass through them the first time. If I couldn't make much progress right away I would mark the question and move on.

It really is an aptitude test that requires skills you have built over a long period of time. It's difficult to wing. I found the mechanical comprehension the most difficult. Math was about geometry/trigonometry level.

I recommend using all the study materials on this site. I used the ARCO book and a few of the other supplements you can find on here. I also went online and practiced random math story problems.

How much aviation knowledge did you study? That is what I am worried about the most atm.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I already had some grounding in this area b/c of my PPL. In general I'd say have a pretty solid all-around understanding of the material... but don't go crazy over it. Make sure to study the other areas just as intensely.

red_ryder

None
How much aviation knowledge did you study? That is what I am worried about the most atm.

All of it. I read this: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/

online. You don't have to remember everything in it by a long shot, but it's got all the info and it's worth skimming for basic concepts. Like they said, the test covers stuff a mile wide and an inch deep, so you don't have to read too far into anything.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor

Didn't see this question when it was posted. I've got my PPL and spent no time on studying that. I haven't flown in about four months or even studied but a lot of that stuff is ingrained in my brain.

I did, however, memorize the parts of a ship and looked at buoys, lights, and basic methods of navigation. I recommend checking out the book above for aviation and just googling "parts of a ship" or something similar.

Sorry if I'm too late and this isn't relevant, otherwise, good luck.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
A quick read through the Coast Guard Rules of the Road would help too.

You can probably find it online, or at a library.