• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB FORM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTP

Great...F*cking word problems. I knew there was going to be a reason to pay attention in High School. Sorry for the vulgar tone, I'm just tired of looking at math.

Hey Rogers, thanks for the gouge. What parts of the Military Flight Aptitude book sticks out? I have been through both inside and out. Is the Math/Verbal section as good as the Mechanical?

J. Tyler Pate

GO DAWGS!

cuculeis

hey jtp, if you plan on taking the astb again, form 2 is easier. atleast i thought so. the math was mostly geometry so study that. the rest is basically the same. i even thought the mechanical was easier than form1...

spidrwmn

JTP - I know what you mean about hating math - I took algebra 3 times! And ended up having to take a lower class in order to get a passing grade.... lol. [:p] But ARCO makes a book called How to Solve Algebra Word Problems. It covers EVERYTHING! And even shows you how to set up the problems so they're less confusing. Might be worth a look if you need a little refresher in that area.

- nikki

psrogers

Intel Officer
First, practice matching the little pictures of airplanes to pictures of a horizon featuring water and land. That's all spacial perception, like visualizing stuff, and understanding where you are- there is a whole section just on that, and I think it is probably important for the PFAR, since pilots need to be able to quickly figure out where the hell they are and where they are going. That section is also important because you probably don't have any other experience doing that, and it's easier to improve than your vocabulary or trigonometric skills. Second, dude, don't be discouraged by this, but practice up on those math problems- word and geometry. The geometry practice will snowball and help you with the spacial stuff, probably. Finally, know just really basic stuff about flying, but you probably already know that.

Most importantly? Practice what you think you are bad at. Its always easiest and best to strengthen the weakest link. Good luck to you and- as you always say- do not get discouraged: look at each section as a unique opportunity to prove your intelligence.

John F.

I am also scheduled to take form one in a week. I have been studying the Marine Corps guide. My problem the first time I took the test was the math and the mechanical comp. What do mean by word problems on form one: are you just referring to many of the problems in the guide or more tricky problems. Any other helpful hints would be awesome. Thanks a bunch.

John F.

royjones

If you study the gouge guide you will be cool but you really need to brush up on your mech. skills quickly. you need to be able to understand the factors involed. the form i also will have the nautical information and the spacial so you really need to take some time out and study before you take the test. It will do you well to get every resource you can buy and study your butt off.....
Good Luck
Roy

bbell

Hey Guys,

I took form 1 yesterday. I was amazed how many questions were the same or similar to the study guides on this site. Know the gouge backwards and forwards and you will do fine. Lack of time was my biggest enemy. With more time I would have nearly aced it. Also, the spatial apperception is a bit more difficult on the test. I highly suggest taking as many practice tests under test taking conditions as possible. This will help condition you to the pressure you will be under during the actual test.

Brady

Undertow

Hey all I'm new to the board here. I just took form 2 yesterday and screwed the pooch. I haven't been in school for 7 years now and am an aviation afficianado. I went into the exam thinking I was gods gift to the aviation world with very little prep time. I left pissed off at myself for my arrogance. Although I know I answered 90% of the questions I answered correctly because I didn't pay attention to the time I didn't finish the last 7 questions in the MVT and the last 10 in the Spatial section. I have time in cockpit and simulators so I thought the spatial test was going to be easy. I thought I was keeping good time but I would have to had flown through that section to finish it. The mechanical was a piece of cake, however I do have some gripes about the electrical schematics they used. When you take the test if you haven't I have 2 pieces of advice for the civilian and active duty guys, #1 pay attention to the time #2 it's not the SAT so as per usual Navy Gouge "When in doubt, Charlie out".

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
JTP. How'd you find out which form you were going to be taking? I'm taking it AUgust 13th, and didn't know if I should ask or not. From what I understand, by looking at this website, the Marine Study Guide is the best. If you need any explanations on the math I can help you. I know how to do all of them... they're pretty easy once you look at them... just a matter of bringing back some forgotten high school math.

sdkahuna

Taking form 1 on moday, could someone explain this monkey question to me and in the Marine Study guide could domeone explain question 33 cause I come up with answer B not A.

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
The monkey supposedly stays in the same place as he pulls the rope. Not exactly sure how to explain it, but that's the answer. For number 33, if the planes take off at the same speed at a 60 degree angle, they form a unilateral triangle where all angles are equal to 60 degrees, which means all sides are equal. (You need to draw the triangle out). This also means that when the two airplanes are 1200 miles apart, the other two sides of the triangle will also be 1200. So all sides = 1200, and all angles are 60 degrees. All you do after that is see that they've both flown 1200 miles before they're 1200 miles apart. Then divide 1200 by 500 and that gives you the right answer... 2 and 2/5 hours. Let me know if you don't understand. Also, if you could, let me know anything you find out about the test. I take it Wednesday.. right after you! I'd appreciate it!

Later,
Warlord

Status
Not open for further replies.