• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army "Right Sizing"

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rachel Maddow could make a Republican senator kissing a baby harp seal he rescued from the bludgeon sound like pedophilic bestiality. Even though I think congress should authorize funds to pay bills that arise from the budgets they pass, traditionally you don't see "clean" debt ceiling bills. Tying the cola fix to raising the debt limit should be a win win. Both sides want it repealed and the President throws a bone to GOP leaders so they can placate their more enthusiastic members. But the President wants a fight. No compromise.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You don't really see a 'clean' bill for anything, just for the reasons you state: It is easy for one side to 'compromise' while still appearing that it gained something to placate the 'base,' even if both sides actually agree on the main issue.

In this case, I don't think that most members of the GOP could care less about the 1% COLA; they just want to be able to tell their fiscally conservative constituents a reason why they raised the debt ceiling besides 'we had to,' and to convince conservative hawks that they're still pro-military.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't really see a 'clean' bill for anything, just for the reasons you state: It is easy for one side to 'compromise' while still appearing that it gained something to placate the 'base,' even if both sides actually agree on the main issue.
I afraid I don't quite understand your point. A "clean bill" doesn't mean there is no compromise or changes to the originally introduced bill. The Senate's official definition of "clean bill" : Generally, after a committee has amended legislation, the chairman may be authorized by the panel to assemble the changes and what remains unchanged from the original bill and then reintroduce everything as a clean bill. A clean bill may expedite Senate action by avoiding separate floor consideration of each committee amendment.

In this case, I don't think that most members of the GOP could care less about the 1% COLA; they just want to be able to tell their fiscally conservative constituents a reason why they raised the debt ceiling besides 'we had to,' and to convince conservative hawks that they're still pro-military.
Disagree. By most measures the GOP is still pro military and more so than the DEMS. As a party they do care about the cola. Check quotes coming out of DC. Republicans were the first to condemn it, even though it was in a Ryan bill. We do agree though that the party leadership does feel they have to get something for raising the debt limit. Some members want something in return because it is historically done that way and they want fairness, tradition. They still chaff at the unilateral rule changes in the Senate. A small issue like the cola adjustment is perfect. More ideological members want either no compromise for the debt limit raising or want to use the vote to extract major fiscal change. Pick your side, you know who they are.