• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army "Right Sizing"

jmcquate

Contributor
Meh..............wars are ending. Funny how wars aren't won anymore............they just end.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Holy crap! This is a bit scary, hoping the good idea fairy doesn't try this on the blue side.

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20...t-4-000-captains-majors?odyssey=mod|nextstory

We need to start cutting at the O6+ level first. But really, this isn't such a surprise. It will probably be done more on wickets than actual ability though.

Meh..............wars are ending. Funny how wars aren't won anymore............they just end.

That's what happens when you don't have goals for them.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
We need to start cutting at the O6+ level first. But really, this isn't such a surprise. It will probably be done more on wickets than actual ability though.
Welcome to Navy Management 101. Don't recognize and level of aptitude, ability or motivation. Instead use arbitrary wickets, random number generators and asinine PT regulations to deal with budget and force shaping issues.

Here is an article on what the AF is looking at. Cutting 25,000 personnel and 550 aircraft.
http://www.stripes.com/news/air-force-announces-more-force-reductions-1.257164

How about we start cutting with BS overbudget programs and equipment we don't need and fix the acquisitions process instead of going right for the heart of our military. But hey, Congress is already locked in to breaking the retirement promise, so we'll see what that does for retention anyway.

Renegade One

None
You smart guys should be in charge. Sadly, I think this requires sticking around long enough to be in charge.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Big surprise......not. The Army expanded rapidly to meet the needs to two manpower-intensive wars and they are drawing down after the end of one and the winding down of the other. The Army could use some trimming at all ranks from what I saw when I was stuck with them. The boys in light blue are also facing a big reduction in forces though not as large as the Army, if they cut squadrons and maybe even whole aircraft fleets they might as well cut the personnel supporting them too. Coupled with sky-high retention thanks to the economy, except for USAF fighter pilots apparently, they are doing as expected. The service that is probably going to get away with the fewest number of cuts is the Navy, fortunate for us I suppose.

Last edited:

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I guess this is what the ERB feels like...

I saw what it did to my Sailors and their families.

It will be interesting to see what criteria the USA uses for breaking out the bottom 4000 after they run out of the NPLOC cases and fat-bodies.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
How about we start cutting with BS overbudget programs and equipment we don't need and fix the acquisitions process instead of going right for the heart of our military. But hey, Congress is already locked in to breaking the retirement promise, so we'll see what that does for retention anyway.
You smart guys should be in charge.
I have heard a few very senior officers recognize this very problem and assure that they are working it. The thing is, you can't just undo a contract by saying "thanks, but we'll be taking our billions of sunk cost back now" or "yea, we signed this contract that awards your staff 6-figure salaries for this project, but we'll be changing the terms now." I would also say that for those of us in the Navy, the ability to acquire new ships and aircraft is at the very heart of our capabilities.

The change in acquisition and the way DoD contracts are awarded is going to happen very slowly. There's a ton of institutional inertia, lessons learned can only be applied to future contracts, and contracts aren't directly awarded by military personnel, and those are not the only issues senior officers face. I'd guess that given the choice, the Generals would rather have more experienced, capable mid-grade Officers around for operational flexibility than a gigantic stash of M1 Abrams that is collecting dust, but even the Army CoS doesn't get to make that call. In the meantime, current retirees under 62 get to see their annual CPI increases cut -- there was no 'contract' for that one.

Reading about the exchange between Gen Franks and Donald Rumsfeld, I cannot imagine a more frustrating position than being told by your civilian boss that you are out to lunch when you have 30+ years of experience. It's the system in which we operate, and I think it's unfair to crucify a group of people who, when push comes to shove, have very little real control over how federal dollars are allocated and spent.

I get the overall impression that "smart guys" are in charge. There is just a big mountain to move and a lot of people who need to sign off on moving it, and a lot of those guys are more interested in their own careers as legislators, nepotism, and keeping constituents employed than doing what needs to be done to untangle the big-picture financial mess.

Last edited:
Regardless of the ultimate fate of the current House budget proposal, the damage is beyond done. Any fence sitter can rest assured that "it's on the table" no matter how this is rescued. And I think in the end most lobbyists and interest groups supporting military pensions will capitulate to the "something is better than nothing, and we have it pretty good" rationale. (And rightly, if you ask me.)

Now someone go get me the # for GCI Federal; we have some BOL retirement calculators to update...

Yikes. Sorry to hear this guys, not a good feeling.

smoke_screen: Well said. Tough times, and hopefully reserve-transition or a 15-year retirement will make it worthwhile for those forced to get out.