• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are There Any "Good Gigs" Left?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
There aren't many bitter P-8 guys, but very few have gotten their first set of competitive FITREPs yet... If I could be a P-8 guy id more seriously consider trying to go back VP. That being said however, I can use my GI Bill to buy myself a nice 73 type rating to go use at the majors... The dynamic flying of tacair isn't an experience you'll get flying P-8s, even though the real world missions will be rewarding, stick and rudder flying in VP is somewhat lacking. Anyone can buy their way into flying a 737, or try for the VRs. Go do something different and thank me later.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Re Lemoore;

There's always this: Coccidioidomycosis ...aka "Valley Fever" ...Google it up for an interesting read. When I was teaching the NBC course in VA-122 in mid-1960's, it was included in the curriculum.

Our next door neighbor (off base, several miles east of NIP, just south of the Hanford-Armona Rd) had a young son (age 9 or 10?) flat on his back, in bed, for several months with a bad case. :-(

red_ryder

None
If by "all the speed and adventure," you mean, "orbiting in the rear, comm out, and 3 G limited," then yes. Don't get me wrong, they have a very important mission, and it's undoubtedly more exciting than the Prowler, but a Rhino/Hornet it is not.

Jet guy attitude/cynicism combo? Isn't that called being in naval aviation?

Yes, and anyone will be burned out after more than 3 years in a squadron. If you're not, you're a weirdo and I don't want to know you.

The mission for Growlers is still evolving, but it has a lot of interesting current and future potential. "Orbiting in the rear" maybe, but not as far back as before. Comms out, sometimes, depending on what we're doing. But 3G limited we are not.

HPFDrummer

Don't mind if I jump in on this threat. Great stuff so far, by the way.

Any FOs out there with an input into the best community/pipeline? Mission types, community life, deployments, etc? I've got the same "Who could turn down a chance to fly in jets?" line running through my head, but I'm not sure I want to take the chance of selecting intermediate and then getting stuck in an E-2. P-8 sounds awesome, but again, JETS, right?!

azguy

None

Any FOs out there with an input into the best community/pipeline? Mission types, community life, deployments, etc? I've got the same "Who could turn down a chance to fly in jets?" line running through my head, but I'm not sure I want to take the chance of selecting intermediate and then getting stuck in an E-2. P-8 sounds awesome, but again, JETS, right?!

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I'm curious, why do you think P-8s are cooler than E-2s?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Dude, if you get "stuck" in an E-2, you will be in an NFO-centric community fulfilling a role which can make or break a strike. Oh, and you will be a tailhooker. 'nuff said there. You might even get stationed in Mugu, without having to go through the ass-pain that full Cali residents endure with their taxes and stupid laws.

If shit gets real somewhere and the E-2 moles are not on their game, VFA and VAQ people can die unnecessarily. Don't sell that role short until you get a better understanding of how Navy TACAIR does our job.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't have a dog in the fight, but I'm curious, why do you think P-8s are cooler than E-2s?
For one, some may not be predisposed to land a huge bird on a pitching/rolling deck at night, in a blinding rain & no bingo field (or per diem or cookie oven)!:eek:
BzB;)

Aquonox

Just rolling along
None

There's nothing wrong with striving for a specific community. But all platforms and their communities have their pros and cons. The best advice I can give is to go in with an open mind. Thinking that you are getting "stuck" with a particular community/platform is not how you want to view things.

I did not get my first choice, but I am fine with that. I researched the missions, QOL, crew components, homeports, deployment cycles, etc. so that I would be cool with whatever the Navy selected for me. I would highly recommend doing the same, otherwise you could potentially be bitter like some NFOs I have seen.

That being said, good luck in your endeavors and enjoy the rest of Primary.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's nothing wrong with striving for a specific community. But all platforms and their communities have their pros and cons. The best advice I can give is to go in with an open mind. Thinking that you are getting "stuck" with a particular community/platform is not how you want to view things.

I did not get my first choice, but I am fine with that. I researched the missions, QOL, crew components, homeports, deployment cycles, etc. so that I would be cool with whatever the Navy selected for me. I would highly recommend doing the same, otherwise you could potentially be bitter like some NFOs I have seen.

That being said, good luck in your endeavors and enjoy the rest of Primary.

^^^@HPFDrummer: The man speaks truth. Let's face it (and I'm not being a dick), you don't know what you don't know. Even once you get to selection in primary, you'll still have a very vague idea of what NFOs do in each platform. If you go into it with an open mind, then you'll find something to like about your chosen community.

Look around the site for insights from each platform. Questions like yours have been asked and answered. (I can think of at least two similar threads recently). Once you've done the initial legwork, feel free to PM if you have anything specific about Growlers/Whidbey life.