• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

akjim101

If anyone has applied and not entered their stats into the spreadsheet it would be great if you would.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...SJCIq5RZZgPvubxPGr4/edit?pli=1#gid=1909157406

If you enter the username, aor, pfar, fofar, oar, and gpa the rest of the information will calculate itself. I keep checking the spreadsheet for a rough estimate of how many people have applied for the board. Last board about half of all applicants were in the spreadsheet.

exNavyOffRec

1) I have my PPL. This issue has been discussed heavily on this forum. Bottom line... no it does not help you tremendously. Does it hurt? Absolutely not.

2) Follow this link for info on OHARP: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=76708

The link is kind of misleading, or maybe the better way to say it is the way we use the term is misleading, OHARP is for only 2 weeks, normally when say SNA's are sent to an NRD because of a backlog it is for much longer, it is more about TAD orders, but OHARP is just the term used, but used improperly.

AaronJB

Dumb Ensign, VT-6
1. guys applying for SNA only, do you already have your pilot's license, and if so, how much do you think that helps your kit?
I went to school to be a commercial pilot and somehow managed to work my way through my Certified Flight Instructor ratings. As far as your OCS "kit" is concerned, I've heard that having prior flight experience helps a lot and I have also heard that it does not really make a difference at all. It is my opinion that any amount flight time gives you an edge at the board over someone with zero flight time.

Where I believe prior experience as a pilot will really make a difference is after OCS during the academics in API. Most of what you are taught in ground school and required to exercise as a civilian pilot translates well into much of the items taught in API. Having working knowledge of the aerodynamics of an airplane, FAA flight rules and regulations, aviation weather, aircraft systems, etc will be tremendously beneficial. That being said, you don't necessarily need to be a pilot to learn that stuff. All of it can be taught to yourself with the wonderful help of the interwebs. Even the API coursework is online if you look hard enough.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I went to school to be a commercial pilot and somehow managed to work my way through my Certified Flight Instructor ratings. As far as your OCS "kit" is concerned, I've heard that having prior flight experience helps a lot and I have also heard that it does not really make a difference at all. It is my opinion that any amount flight time gives you an edge at the board over someone with zero flight time.

Where I believe prior experience as a pilot will really make a difference is after OCS during the academics in API. Most of what you are taught in ground school and required to exercise as a civilian pilot translates well into much of the items taught in API. Having working knowledge of the aerodynamics of an airplane, FAA flight rules and regulations, aviation weather, aircraft systems, etc will be tremendously beneficial. That being said, you don't necessarily need to be a pilot to learn that stuff. All of it can be taught to yourself with the wonderful help of the interwebs. Even the API coursework is online if you look hard enough.
You would be surprised. I know more people in API now that have failed the exams that have flight experience. It is not what you know or have learned it is what Big Navy says.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
1. guys applying for SNA only, do you already have your pilot's license, and if so, how much do you think that helps your kit?
2. I came across this term OHARP? I know it is duty work but can anyone explain exactly what it is?
was selected and had no flight experiance...a lot of the selections had none

yhaniclb7

was selected and had no flight experiance...a lot of the selections had none

I saw that many applicants without pilot's licenses got selected but I also saw an applicant with low ASTB scores and a ppl who got selected which made me bring up that question. With that said, i saw some guys with solid ASTB scores who did not get picked up. I know they're looking at the whole individual and perhaps the motivational statement has a big impact?

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I saw that many applicants without pilot's licenses got selected but I also saw an applicant with low ASTB scores and a ppl who got selected which made me bring up that question. With that said, i saw some guys with solid ASTB scores who did not get picked up. I know they're looking at the whole individual and perhaps the motivational statement has a big impact?
Not so much. Could be age and their backgroud (i.e. drug waivers).

exNavyOffRec

You would be surprised. I know more people in API now that have failed the exams that have flight experience. It is not what you know or have learned it is what Big Navy says.

Seen guys with all type of certifications fail (the guy was flight instructor).

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Wish I could know if mine had an impact or not. Would like to think it gave whomever was looking at my application a better idea of my attitude at least. And yeah there were some non selections may have been background related.

Gunfyter

Failure with flight experience, some thoughts....

Previous flight experience can lull a person into making a serious mistake....

Generally things happen faster and as a single pilot you have to be thinking ahead of the airplane... Anticipating what's next. The navy trainers are more complex and much higher performance than what most people have civilian flight experience in.... You can't have your flight profiles and procedures memorized too well.

I think the mistake is some with previous time sometimes don't realize they have to study as hard as the zero time studs.