• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

Mozart

I am pretty good with PT, but to be honest I dont know how to swim very well. That will change the day I get accepted and have an OCS date. I will be hiring a crossfit trainer and taking major swim lessons. I pick things up easily so im not concerened. I cant bring myself to devote that much time and money yet if I dont know for sure. I already work 12 hour shifts for my job and have PT 3 times a week. not a lot of time to learn how to swim at the moment.

Facepalm

SNA hopeful
I am pretty good with PT, but to be honest I dont know how to swim very well. That will change the day I get accepted and have an OCS date. I will be hiring a crossfit trainer and taking major swim lessons. I pick things up easily so im not concerened. I cant bring myself to devote that much time and money yet if I dont know for sure. I already work 12 hour shifts for my job and have PT 3 times a week. not a lot of time to learn how to swim at the moment.

Maybe hire a swim coach or something but please for the love of "insert religious beliefs here", don't hire a crossfit instructor unless you want to take your chances with injuries and such. Of course you could make the argument that "that's what the instructor is there for," but honestly it's a waste of money. I maxed out and surpassed all of my peers on the Marine PFT when applying for PLC without crossfit and I'm sure you could too. Just figure out your goals, read up about plans that will help you get there, then execute them!

-Facepalm

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
While we're all (not so) patiently waiting to hear definitive news...

Anybody been working on their fitness swimming?

I consider myself a pretty strong ocean swimmer/surfer... But I'm pretty confident I look like a house cat in a bathtub swimming laps. Kinda tough yo!
I haven't swam in a while, and well, I'm going to have to break myself of that. Yeah patient is not how I would describe myself at the moment. This past Saturday I just was able to get a passing score on the run. This has been a long battle and I finally pulled it off. So I know I'm going to be at the back of the pack at least at the start of OCS.

And Ahh, okay I misread what @NationalOPO wrote then. Well, shucks.

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
Maybe hire a swim coach or something but please for the love of "insert religious beliefs here", don't hire a crossfit instructor unless you want to take your chances with injuries and such. Of course you could make the argument that "that's what the instructor is there for," but honestly it's a waste of money. I maxed out and surpassed all of my peers on the Marine PFT when applying for PLC without crossfit and I'm sure you could too. Just figure out your goals, read up about plans that will help you get there, then execute them!

-Facepalm
Just to add to that. I don't know how much you all know about Reddit, but checking out www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness might be able to give you some pointers on fitness without any equipment.

Mozart

ya im a definate on the swim instruction. I am not new to the PT game. I hike 14ers every year, run 5k and 10k's. I only was thinking about crossfit beacuse my best friend is special forces and he highly rec. it. I can do it myself but figured I would go the extra effort.

Facepalm

SNA hopeful
ya im a definate on the swim instruction. I am not new to the PT game. I hike 14ers every year, run 5k and 10k's. I only was thinking about crossfit beacuse my best friend is special forces and he highly rec. it. I can do it myself but figured I would go the extra effort.

Well crossfit has some really good principles i just recommend you stay away from the olympic style lifts, because they want you to do them till you can't even walk anymore, which is just asking for an injury.

Google stew smith. Just do his push plan and sit up plan and you'll be good to go. In my experience running is what sidelines people most. Shin splints and stress fractures were always rampant for the non runners in enlisted boot camp and air crewman school.

Mozart

as in there was an issue with their packet or they didn't think board would even consider it. So it was denied the chance to even be seen at the board. That's how it was explained to me

as in there was an issue with their packet or they didn't think board would even consider it. So it was denied the chance to even be seen at the board. That's how it was explained to me

Wow never heard of that. Oh and for the guy that want's to spend money on a crossfit trainer, you don't need it, save your money for pay issues or uniforms while at OCS. I did the same amount of PT in boot camp as we will do in OCS and some people made it who never worked out in their entire lives. They don't expect you to be a PT god but then again don't show up looking like a sloth. As long as you can exceed the minimums before you show up you should be fine because you should be improving on everything throughout the training process. I went from a 12.5 min 1.5 mile down to the low 10's from the time I entered bootcamp to graduation.

Mozart

Wow never heard of that. Oh and for the guy that want's to spend money on a crossfit trainer, you don't need it, save your money for pay issues or uniforms while at OCS. I did the same amount of PT in boot camp as we will do in OCS and some people made it who never worked out in their entire lives. They don't expect you to be a PT god but then again don't show up looking like a sloth. As long as you can exceed the minimums before you show up you should be fine because you should be improving on everything throughout the training process. I went from a 12.5 min 1.5 mile down to the low 10's from the time I entered bootcamp to graduation.

I am at a 10 min 1.5 mile, so I can look forward to getting down to 8 min!! JK. Great insight. I will keep that in mind. I tend to agree that I want to save my money.