• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
8-10 rep Monday 6-8 rep Wednesday 3-6 rep Friday's. For bench legs and the other good stuff. Weighted pull ups are always a good bet. Dead bugs, planks and crunches for core. My goal is not to be the strongest or fastest but rather to last the longest. Don't forget to train in the water too.

brogdawg32

I hate swimming so much. I did a 1700 yard long slow distance swim and died after. I think people thought I was going to drown

The_Pants

What is your bench routine... how much weight/how many reps/how may sets/how often?
4 sets @ 120lbs about 10-8 reps that's my bench. incline dumbbell bench press 4 sets @ 45lbs 10-8 reps. dumbbell bench press 4 sets @ 45lbs 10-8 reps. finish with cable flys, crossovers, etc. and burn out with dips and elevated pushups. that's my chest. comments welcomed and advice.

tdogsmith

Dangle Meistro
4 sets @ 120lbs about 10-8 reps that's my bench. incline dumbbell bench press 4 sets @ 45lbs 10-8 reps. dumbbell bench press 4 sets @ 45lbs 10-8 reps. finish with cable flys, crossovers, etc. and burn out with dips and elevated pushups. that's my chest. comments welcomed and advice.
brodawg's right, honestly you gotta skip the hammer strength and hit the barbell and dumbell exclusively if you want to improve your chest (lots of flies too). I'm a relatively small/normal sized guy (5'9 165 lbs) but I max 275 on bench and can rep 225. I would say try doing more volume (10-12 reps) with at least 4 sets per exercise and focus more on getting dat dere pump. I do incline, decline, flat, and 2 or 3 flye exercises on chest day along with dips. You really got to put your ego away in the gym and focus on good form and short rest times if you want solid progress. And it takes awhile, I've been lifting consistently (5 days a week) for a few years.

I'm just worried about cardio, other than playing hockey or ball I do none of it so I should probably focus on that. 'cept cardio kills gains...

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot
Top to bottom eye exam for me is $115. I also don't have vision insurance. Could be different for you if you do. There is no guarantee its going to be the same as the ocs flight eye exam though. Close is good for me though.

I ended up having an eye exam conducted as well. I went to one of those national eyeglass store chains (Eyeglass World) and ended up only dropping $65 on the complete exam. I called ahead of time though to ensure they had all necessary equipment, which was a great idea. I brought the checklist that is inside the NAMI waiver packet that has been shared on this forum so the doctor would know the limitations required. The doctor said his location had just received some of the equipment necessary for the Class 1 Flight Physical eye exam earlier this year, so definitely call ahead!

The color vision test was the same as MEPS but the depth perception was different, and much easier. I put on a pair of what looked like 3D glasses and looked for protruding dots from a book he held. I've passed tests both at MEPS and the civilian doctor, but with all the talk of failure throughout this website, I am continually paranoid about that portion of the eye exam. Which leads me to a question, which depth perception test is used at OCS/Pensacola? At OCS, are you able to take your time with the exam to ensure you are positive with your answer before giving it?

Other tests different than MEPS were:
  • the puff test (everyone's favorite)
  • a test where you look into a machine at a hot air balloon which gets blurry and then the test is over before you even know what they were doing
  • field of vision - basically the doctor holding up his fingers and slowly moving them towards you until you can make out how many fingers he is holding up using your peripheral vision
  • dilation - but this dilation was different that those I've had in the past at eye exams. Once the drops were put into my eye, I was instructed to keep my eyes closed for 1 minute and a burning sensation was felt until I was able to open my eyes. Apparently the dilation liquid acts as a muscle relaxer for the part of your eye in charge of near focusing. For about 10 hours after the exam I felt like a 70 year old man and could not read ANYTHING within an arms reach of me. It was actually quite hilarious trying to look at my phone and read texts/emails.
There are likely some other tests that I am failing to mention.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
As a pilot! I'd like the only time I'd need to swim to be when I crash or eject....so never :p
That's like saying the only time I'll have to run is when I crash...If that's the case my ass is going to be in shape because if I have to run from something to save my life I at least need to make sure I'm quicker than my nfo...and I hate running. The one thing I'm going to be at the bottom of the pack in. Can go all day just can't go fast

Last edited:

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
The one mile swim at API doe.
I'm hearing in a flight suit too? But all survival skills aside it's the best way to drop fat in my mind. Every time I slip up for a couple of months I just increase pool time and there goes 10 lbs

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
That's like saying the only time I'll have to run is when I crash...If that's the case my ass is going to be in shape because if I have to run from something to save my life I at least need to make sure I'm quicker than my nfo...and I hate running. The one thing I'm going to be at the bottom of the pack in. Can go all day just can't go fast

Looks like we are going to be the bestest of friends in the back of the pack until I die after the half mile mark.