• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
usnafury said:
Career wise, what is better, going to an Academy or doing NROTC at somewhere like Georgetown? I loved the USNA SS when I went, but the more and more I think about it, the more and more I wonder what I'd miss out on if I went there. For example, I could do lots of internships and study abroad if I did NROTC, but not with the USNA.

Careerwise USNA/ROTC/OCS makes no difference. However ROTC is not going to give you a better chance to study abroad/internships. The ROTC scholarship is not going to pay for you to take a semester off from the program and study overseas. Internships are hard to do in either program because of the summer cruise requirements, however a little hard work and you can usually find something. Also, USNA has a program where you can do internships at places like JPL during your leave periods.

ghost

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
ghost said:
Careerwise USNA/ROTC/OCS makes no difference. However ROTC is not going to give you a better chance to study abroad/internships. The ROTC scholarship is not going to pay for you to take a semester off from the program and study overseas. Internships are hard to do in either program because of the summer cruise requirements, however a little hard work and you can usually find something. Also, USNA has a program where you can do internships at places like JPL during your leave periods.

ghost

Not true, you can study abroad while on an NROTC Scholarship. My buddy will be going to Japan for next semester. We also had people study abroad in Spain and a semester internship with the Senate in DC. I'm not sure how difficult it is to get these though, the people from my unit that took advantage of this were pretty locked on. But it is possible! Good luck.

petescheu

cadetgirl said:
Anyone else here receive a Naval Academy Appointment for the class of 2009? Mine came yesterday. My appointment to West Point came a little over a week ago.

Holy crap, we're up to 2009 already...?

cadetgirl

"Careerwise USNA/ROTC/OCS makes no difference"

As I understand it, part of a new law Pres Bush just signed into law makes it so USMA grads get Regular commissions again instead of reserve commissions beginning with the class of 2005. I know that is the case for WP, is it the same for Annapolis? See below:

"The Fiscal Year 2005 National Defense Authorization Act, signed into law by the President Oct. 28, contains two provisions that directly affect cadets and graduates of the U.S. Military Academy, said Alan Fox, a policy and planning officer in the academys Office of Policy, Planning and Analysis.

Graduates will once again receive Regular Army commissions and cadets and midshipmen of the service academies are now eligible for medical care, dental care and disability benefits.

Fox explained that since September 1996, all newly commissioned second lieutenants, regardless of commissioning source, received a Reserve commission. Historically, USMA graduates received Regular Army commissions. They were a source of pride and viewed as recognition for having graduated from the U.S. Military Academy. There was also a number of Army policies linked to the RA commission that provided a perceived advantage over the Reserve commission, such as protection during a reduction in force. Over the years, Congress gradually eliminated those policies to provide a level playing field for all officers regardless of commission or commissioning source.

Since 1996, however, Congress, the Department of Defense and the services continued to study and discuss the Regular versus Reserve commission issue. Academy alumni also voiced their concerns to the Armys leadership until earlier this year, when Congress decided to return to the policy of awarding Regular Army commissions for original appointments. At USMA, the Class of 2005 will be the first class to again receive RA commissions, Fox said.

Graduates who received Reserve commissions and are currently still on active duty lists will be transitioned into the RA over the next one to five years, according to West Points Maj. Bill Willis, deputy adjutant general/strength management.

The provision making cadets and midshipmen eligible for medical, dental and disability benefits is a very significant change to the status quo, Fox said. This change was brought about after Congress ordered a study on the subject. The findings by an outside contractor recommended that medical and dental disability treatment and care be provided for cadets as it would be for any other individual on active duty, according to Fox.

Historically, cadets and midshipmen at the service academies were specifically excluded from disability by law, he said. We viewed that provision as being inconsistent with the active duty status of cadets, especially given the military training they are required to participate in to graduate and be commissioned.

Fox said the disability legislation is not retroactive, but added that DoD and service specific regulations still need to be written, which potentially could take until next spring."

DMeix

High School Peon
So I've been Triple Q'ed since October...got two nominations offered to me, one from my Rep., the other from a Senator here in Texas...

...and I never got into NASS and have yet to get an invite to CVW.

Is anyone else in the same boat?

oh yeah...I also found out I got the 4 year NROTC Scholarship today

bigspy007

Well I'm kind of in the opposite postion....i got into summer seminar and have a CVW invite and have to nominations to navy, and have recieved the foundation scholarship, so im basically in the naval academy next year if i dont get in this year. But I'm not tripled Q'd academically, according to my B&G officer. Which is kind of confusing because I already have appointments to west point and merchant marine. But I think I'm going to take the foundation and still go to the school I have dreamed about for years.

bigspy007

I think it may be my class rank...but I'm really not sure, my class rank isn't great 35%, but other then that I dont really know. Which still doesn't make sense...I got an early appointments from WP and KP....so my B&G officer is suprised also, I've been checking and so far it seems that the admissions board does it on an case by case basis so their is no really set standards....and while im disapointed....I'll take the foundation. I'll just be even better prepared in the long run.

Integer1

Banned
I thought I read somewhere that one must be tripled Q'd to be a candidate for NAPS. Maybe for Foundation it is different.

bigspy007

See thats what I thought also...because looking at mids who were sponorsed by the Foundation in the past, their stats were very impressive, so this only adds to my confusion...I guess this is my first real taste of the Government, I knew I got lucky with DOBMERB.

NAPSmom05

Bigspy:
One year in the course of your life is NOTHING. In addition, the extra instruction, friendships, maturity, physical fitness etc. etc. do nothing but enhance your experience at the Academy. It is frustrating I am sure to be at the top in your class, on the field and in leadership positions and then be told that you might have to do another year. But, after you get over the little "slam", seriously be grateful for this route. I can tell you that after 2/3 of a year, I only continue to find more benefits to the NAPS year (or in your case the foundation year). Congratulations on your other appointments.

Status
Not open for further replies.