• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadetgirl

Anyone else here receive a Naval Academy Appointment for the class of 2009? Mine came yesterday. My appointment to West Point came a little over a week ago.

bigspy007

My appointment to the Merchant Marine Academy came christmas eve, still waiting to hear from navy. Congrats!!!!!!!!

Alex

Perhaps this will help as well:

What do a West Point Cadet and an Annapolis Midshipman have in common?
They both got accepted to West Point. :D

erinbynight

erinbynight
Have you visited either academy? I live near annapolis, and I can tell you, it's breathtaking and I wish I had thought to apply there. Maryland is the bomb.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
you guys are missing out, Kings Point is only a 30 minute ride from NYC.

by train i might add.

cadetgirl

I attended both summer seminars in June. I also spent some time on ships as a guest where midshipmen were doing their summer training. I thought that the workouts at Navy by the Seals and Marines were more rigorous (which I liked), but I also thought WP's campus was more impressive (a subjective thing, I know) and felt the cadets there looked to be in better physcical "shape" physically and displayed more "military bearing" than the midshipmen I saw (again subjective). I also noticed that the dorms at Navy seemed to be in a bit less "repair" than at WP (may have just been where I was staying). Both academies are very impressive but there are some "personality" differences. I have a positive and negative list for both and I'm sure it will come down to what do I want to do in the service after I graduate. Midshipmen seem to get more "liberties" at Navy than the cadets do (esp the plebes), but I don't see that as necessarily a good thing. Oh well, time to decide is approaching. Happy New Year Everyone!

adam28270

Dont really let the campus or the dorms decide where you want to end up. Think about the type of people there, who would you get along with more? because those are the type of people that you will generally be dealing with for the next 8 or more years.

Think about what type of degree you want to major in. That is what the academies are there for, to get you a college degree while training for the military. The naval academy is very technically oriented.

Also think about which service you would like more, since the navy is more technically oriented, it would probably be a better choice for an engineer if thats where your headed.

I wouldn't really base the decision off who is "squared away" more. Both academies are great schools, and the people that get accepted are great people, and get their stuff done when they need to. So the officers that are commissioned are top of the line.

Or..... you could just put everything i said aside and just GO NAVY!

Congrats on your nominations!!

cadetgirl

Iam basing it more on the fact that while the Naval Academy is more "technically" based as you said, WP seems to be much more a leadership school. Not a put-down, just a difference that is necessary based on their missions. I am leaning more towards WP as a better fit for me. Good luck everyone!

usnafury

Career wise, what is better, going to an Academy or doing NROTC at somewhere like Georgetown? I loved the USNA SS when I went, but the more and more I think about it, the more and more I wonder what I'd miss out on if I went there. For example, I could do lots of internships and study abroad if I did NROTC, but not with the USNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.