• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to Navy OCS as a prior service officer

exNavyOffRec

Yea, I've looked into the IST program--it wouldn't allow me to pursue aviation since I wasn't an aviator in the Marines. The prior Army officer who I know who did it was able to apply via OCS. Sounds like it was the same case with @CWO_change's friend.
The biggest thing that has changed in recent years is that the PA's were updated and now specifically have the below verbiage, in the past they didn't have that, due to it being absent it led to many OR's who were unfamiliar with what was and wasn't allowed trying to submit those who were prior officers, after a while NRC I guess became tired of it and now added that info to the PA.

Since each review level is supposed to verify a person meets the PA you would need the recruiter, OACR, NTAG processor, NRC processor, and NRC PM to ignore the PA.

d. Active or Reserve officers, or former officers of other branches of the armed services are
not eligible to apply for the officer candidate program under this Program Authorization.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Active or Reserve officers, or former officers of other branches of the armed services are
not eligible to apply for the officer candidate program under this Program Authorization.
That may not have been printed in the same place, but 40 years ago when I went to officer recruiter school ( called it ROMO back then) that was instructed to us and the reference pointed out in the CRUITMAN.

Azorian

Like what others have said, just because something happened 15 years ago doesn't mean it can happen now.

Additionally, what hasn't been mentioned is your years of commissioned service. Assuming you're a Capt with at least 4 years... that would be huge risk in terms of getting to flight school, training, and to your first squadron before you're even in zone for O-4. You will likely 2xFOS (failure of selection) because you don't have the qualifications and FITREPS like what your peers have.
The guy I know who did it went through fairly recently--2019 or 2020. But yea, I'm concerned with seniority as well which is why I want to go the OCS route, that way I would be able to commission as an Ensign and be on the same level as my peers.

Azorian

The biggest thing that has changed in recent years is that the PA's were updated and now specifically have the below verbiage, in the past they didn't have that, due to it being absent it led to many OR's who were unfamiliar with what was and wasn't allowed trying to submit those who were prior officers, after a while NRC I guess became tired of it and now added that info to the PA.

Since each review level is supposed to verify a person meets the PA you would need the recruiter, OACR, NTAG processor, NRC processor, and NRC PM to ignore the PA.

d. Active or Reserve officers, or former officers of other branches of the armed services are
The strange thing is, I applied last year and was not selected but was eligible to reapply. When I applied more recently, I was told not to reapply. When my recruiter inquired with NRC, he was told it was because of my prior service. So I'm thinking maybe some prior officer packets just slip through the cracks? Not sure what to make of it. Either way, my current COA is to request an ETP from N13.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The strange thing is, I applied last year and was not selected but was eligible to reapply. When I applied more recently, I was told not to reapply. When my recruiter inquired with NRC, he was told it was because of my prior service. So I'm thinking maybe some prior officer packets just slip through the cracks? Not sure what to make of it. Either way, my current COA is to request an ETP from N13.

How would an ETP fix this? Slips and cracks do happen with packages/applications but if you were told "do not return" by the board, an ETP won't fix this.

Azorian

How would an ETP fix this? Slips and cracks do happen with packages/applications but if you were told "do not return" by the board, an ETP won't fix this.
If my application was eliminated from consideration based on my prior service, an approved ETP request would mean that it could be considered for consideration, wouldn't it? Maybe I'm missing something but that's my rationale.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If my application was eliminated from consideration based on my prior service, an approved ETP request would mean that it could be considered for consideration, wouldn't it? Maybe I'm missing something but that's my rationale.

Under other circumstances like a GPA or ASTB score issue however you’ve already been told “do not return” by the aviation community.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
If you want to be a military pilot your best bet is probably to go start pledging ANG units. Do you have any civilian ratings yet?