• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to Navy OCS as a prior service officer

Azorian

I am a prior service officer in the Marines (currently IRR) and was told after applying to the most recent board that this disqualifies me and I should look into the direct commissioning program or inter service transfer. However, my goal is to pursue aviation, and that isn't an option with the DC or IST programs. The strange thing is, I know a prior Army officer who got selected as an aviation candidate and was able to go to OCS and resign his commission as an O-3 and commission in the Navy as an O-1, so this should be possible. (I also know multiple prior Army officers who resigned their commissions as O-3s and commissioned in the Marine Corps as O-1s). I included a signed DD-368 with my application and am prepared to resign my commission preemptively if necessary. I have reviewed OPNAVINST1120.13B and it does not prohibit prior service officers applying as aviation candidates and nothing that I have read anywhere else does either. Does anyone know where else I could look to get some clarity on this?

Thanks in advance.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I am a prior service officer in the Marines (currently IRR) and was told after applying to the most recent board that this disqualifies me and I should look into the direct commissioning program or inter service transfer. However, my goal is to pursue aviation, and that isn't an option with the DC or IST programs. The strange thing is, I know a prior Army officer who got selected as an aviation candidate and was able to go to OCS and resign his commission as an O-3 and commission in the Navy as an O-1, so this should be possible. (I also know multiple prior Army officers who resigned their commissions as O-3s and commissioned in the Marine Corps as O-1s). I included a signed DD-368 with my application and am prepared to resign my commission preemptively if necessary. I have reviewed OPNAVINST1120.13B and it does not prohibit prior service officers applying as aviation candidates and nothing that I have read anywhere else does either. Does anyone know where else I could look to get some clarity on this?

Thanks in advance.

The aviation program authorization (linked here: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Career/OCM/PA-106_OCS_Pilot_and_NFO_May-2022.pdf?ver=-ozpW_mJ0KOxwXaugU7uWQ==) states the following:

d. Active or Reserve officers, or former officers of other branches of the armed services are
not eligible to apply for the officer candidate program under this Program Authorization.

Perhaps try the Army or National Guard to see if there are aviation opportunities for you. There just won't be any with the Navy.

Azorian

The aviation program authorization (linked here: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Career/OCM/PA-106_OCS_Pilot_and_NFO_May-2022.pdf?ver=-ozpW_mJ0KOxwXaugU7uWQ==) states the following:

d. Active or Reserve officers, or former officers of other branches of the armed services are
not eligible to apply for the officer candidate program under this Program Authorization.

Perhaps try the Army or National Guard to see if there are aviation opportunities for you. There just won't be any with the Navy.
Ahh thanks, that clears things up. The guy I know who went to Navy OCS after resigning his Army commission went a couple of years ago so I guess paragraph d is a new addition to the policy. I wonder why they added it. Do you know how often they update it? I can't imagine they will remove that requirement anytime soon but I'll keep an eye on it.

exNavyOffRec

Ahh thanks, that clears things up. The guy I know who went to Navy OCS after resigning his Army commission went a couple of years ago so I guess paragraph d is a new addition to the policy. I wonder why they added it. Do you know how often they update it? I can't imagine they will remove that requirement anytime soon but I'll keep an eye on it.
He may have known someone and was able to get a special deal since going back over 15 years they have said the same thing, then when I was an OR I had several that would ask, NRC would always so "no" and refer to the OCM to review for IST.

We also had several ROTC O-1's that ended up getting commissioned into the National Guard when they had originally planned to go active ask as well, even with only a few months of service NRC still said "no".

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He may have known someone and was able to get a special deal since going back over 15 years they have said the same thing, then when I was an OR I had several that would ask, NRC would always so "no" and refer to the OCM to review for IST.

We also had several ROTC O-1's that ended up getting commissioned into the National Guard when they had originally planned to go active ask as well, even with only a few months of service NRC still said "no".
This is my experience going back to mid 80s and late 90s OR work.

Lionel Hutz

pilot

Just curious, do you have any idea what the rationalization is for this policy? Seems like the Navy is excluding some potentially great candidates, including proven entities, at least as officers.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Just curious, do you have any idea what the rationalization is for this policy? Seems like the Navy is excluding some potentially great candidates, including proven entities, at least as officers.

Program authorizations are intended for civilian / enlisted (or prior enlisted) candidates. Not so much prior / current officers.

There’s a SECNAVINST out there that outlines ISTs into or out of the Navy.

CWO_change

Agree on a special deal if this has been the language going back decades it seems. I know someone as well who was able to resign his commission as an Army infantry officer and go to OCS under an aviation slot; he was later an MH-60 pilot before lat transferring to PAO.

@Azorian I don't have any specifics for how my friend did this (he also made it to O3 in the Army but was made to start over again as an O1 after Navy OCS . . . this all is within the last 8-10 years mind you), but I can try to ask around and report back if I get some good information. I'd encourage you to talk to whoever you know as well and try to get more details.

Azorian

Agree on a special deal if this has been the language going back decades it seems. I know someone as well who was able to resign his commission as an Army infantry officer and go to OCS under an aviation slot; he was later an MH-60 pilot before lat transferring to PAO.

@Azorian I don't have any specifics for how my friend did this (he also made it to O3 in the Army but was made to start over again as an O1 after Navy OCS . . . this all is within the last 8-10 years mind you), but I can try to ask around and report back if I get some good information. I'd encourage you to talk to whoever you know as well and try to get more details.
Thanks for the response. It's good to know that others have done it as well. My current plan is to submit an ETP request to OPNAV N13 to allow me to apply. The other guy I knew who did it changed his phone number so I've been trying to find him on social media--no luck yet. But last I talked to him, it sounded like he just applied without a waiver and was selected. I'm guessing he may have fell through the cracks somehow. But if you have any further insight or knowledge through your friend I would be very grateful.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that others have done it as well. My current plan is to submit an ETP request to OPNAV N13 to allow me to apply. The other guy I knew who did it changed his phone number so I've been trying to find him on social media--no luck yet. But last I talked to him, it sounded like he just applied without a waiver and was selected. I'm guessing he may have fell through the cracks somehow. But if you have any further insight or knowledge through your friend I would be very grateful.

The thing is is you should be “applying” via an IST instead of OCS. Most program authorizations are intended for enlisted / civilian applicants.

Azorian

The thing is is you should be “applying” via an IST instead of OCS. Most program authorizations are intended for enlisted / civilian applicants.
Yea, I've looked into the IST program--it wouldn't allow me to pursue aviation since I wasn't an aviator in the Marines. The prior Army officer who I know who did it was able to apply via OCS. Sounds like it was the same case with @CWO_change's friend.

taxi1

pilot
Yea, I've looked into the IST program--it wouldn't allow me to pursue aviation since I wasn't an aviator in the Marines. The prior Army officer who I know who did it was able to apply via OCS. Sounds like it was the same case with @CWO_change's friend.
We had a reserve O2 direct commission 1515 naval officer switch designators to SNA and go off the Pcola for flight school. Not an interservice transfer, but similar.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
We had a reserve O2 direct commission 1515 naval officer switch designators to SNA and go off the Pcola for flight school. Not an interservice transfer, but similar.

That probably sounds like the best way to go. I’ve heard about that reserve move laterally from someone else on here also

FormerRecruitingGuru

Like what others have said, just because something happened 15 years ago doesn't mean it can happen now.

Additionally, what hasn't been mentioned is your years of commissioned service. Assuming you're a Capt with at least 4 years... that would be huge risk in terms of getting to flight school, training, and to your first squadron before you're even in zone for O-4. You will likely 2xFOS (failure of selection) because you don't have the qualifications and FITREPS like what your peers have.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Strange things happen for all sorts of reasons. That everything will align the same and you see it again is usually incredibly small. Had a guy in my Reserve TACRON who had been an active duty commissioned Army helo pilot. Got off active duty and went into the Navy Reserve as a 1310. Never flew a Navy aircraft, but proudly sported gold wings because he could. The only thing you can expect/rely on is the program authorization and promulgated regulations and Instructions. Anything more is witchcraft and magic.