• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API vs Primary

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Now I went through API in late 93, early 94 but as I recall, it wasn't difficult at all. Then again, I wasn't sober much either. Primary wasn't difficult, just a pain sometimes, depending on who I had to fly with. I don't think I ever studied more than 2 hours for any flight and that might be pushing it. My roomate studied all night long and did horrible, eventually attriting. Now the FRS was a different story, that was tough, mainly cause I had to study systems. Easy when that wasn't necessary. So my lack of study throughout flight school hurt me when I got to VAW-120, in the sense that I wasn't prepared for the amount of time it took just to prepare for one flight.

Rainman

pilot
FlyingBeagle said:
. . . Also, I keep hearing certain squadrons are better because they pump you through faster, and while I understand that the more frequently you fly, the sharper your skills stay, but it seems it would be advantageous to the student to be in a slower squadron because he would have more time for studying and unwinding. Thoughts?

i think the biggest problems you will have in your flight training involve the time off. Time off for a new platform (first couple months of primary, advanced, or FRS) may be like a week. After a couple hundred hours in a fleet squadron maybe it's a bit more. .Not flying for three weeks or so in T45s or Hornet RAG kicked my a$$. Gotta concentrate on menial tasks like engine start and you are less likely to be ahead of the jet.

Flying once a day or at least every 3 days makes everything go so much smoother.

reapergm

Alot of people complain at how much API and Primary sucked, and how hard it was.. but the question I have.. is did you get your #1 pick? Ive met a few people who said they busted their rears and it was too hard who didnt get their #1.. but for the most part(even for Marines fighting the "needs of the Corps" that week), most people got what they wanted. Seems like thats all anyone talks about before API.. is that theyre going to get this or that... Its annoying as hell. But then they start API and say how they just want to pass (yet seem to get 90s on every test).

Schmuck

reapergm said:
Alot of people complain at how much API and Primary sucked, and how hard it was.. but the question I have.. is did you get your #1 pick? Ive met a few people who said they busted their rears and it was too hard who didnt get their #1.. but for the most part(even for Marines fighting the "needs of the Corps" that week), most people got what they wanted. Seems like thats all anyone talks about before API.. is that theyre going to get this or that... Its annoying as hell. But then they start API and say how they just want to pass (yet seem to get 90s on every test).

Most people do get what their #1 choice. However, their #1 choice when starting primary may be different when they find out their NSS is prior to selection.

On a different note, API doesn't decide what you will fly. It is how you fly the T-34, T-6 or whatever the hell is out there. Just met another guy here in Meridian who was a marginal API grad just like me. Look at what we are doing.

In summary, API-sucks, Primary-cool.