• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API vs Primary

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
So what makes a "great" onwing? Standardization? Knowledge? Or is it that he is easy going and grades easy (and I'm not saying that's what you mean)? Just curious what the perception is.

Standardization, yes. Knowledge, yes. Skill, yes. ABILITY to TEACH, DEFINITELY. They shouldn't be an easy grader, but should be fair. If you fvck something away, you pay for it. Man up and take the hit. I know when I've fvcked up, I've deserved every below I've ever received. If you do something awesome, you get rewarded. Being an IP that is very easy to receive a below from, but impossible to receive an above from only earns you a reputation of being unfair. That's not a good instructor. Personality has a lot to do with it. Being a dick isn't necessarily useful all the time. It has a time and place, definitely. But 100% of the time? No. Like anything, that's a teaching device. You can yell at me all day, I'll tune you out in a very short amount of time. But say, I screw something up and you make a snide subtle comment, when normally you're a nice, personable guy, I feel like a moron and it's very effective. Some IPs forget their job is to teach, not to give you downs. When every flight feels like a checkride, and not a learning experience, something is wrong.

That's my take. I've liked most of my IPs in my flight school travels. Most I've learned from, most are "chill", and most will let you know when you're doing something stupid. Very few I've had personality clashes with and very few I've run across that are absolutely horrible teachers and make me wonder why the hell they're instructing in the first place. They're out there, but few and far between. I think most IPs are pretty good and do their job.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
one person's take:

API sucked for me. not because of academics but because I couldnt swim worth a crap. made it that much tougher

Primary was so so. I hated RIs with a passion. Forms were the best part.

Advanced was really fun...best time so far.

Recidivist

Any ideas about whether they are still constricting the pipeline on aviators very tightly (reflected by that increased API requirement for 04 aviators), or are they more balanced on fit and fill these days?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Recidivist said:
Any ideas about whether they are still constricting the pipeline on aviators very tightly (reflected by that increased API requirement for 04 aviators), or are they more balanced on fit and fill these days?

Nope, they reduced it back to what it was before...HOWEVER about 95% of those who attrit are kicked completely out of the Navy now...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
jamnww said:
HOWEVER about 95% of those who attrit are kicked completely out of the Navy now...

Not news, but... grrrrrrrrrrrr. I'm sure that AF Captain who just got back from a sea tour and checked in w/ me would appreciate that he's now back in Bahrain while Mr. Attrite get's a free education and ticket home.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
gatordev said:
Not news, but... grrrrrrrrrrrr. I'm sure that AF Captain who just got back from a sea tour and checked in w/ me would appreciate that he's now back in Bahrain while Mr. Attrite get's a free education and ticket home.

Yeah I am sure he would be pissed about that...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah no kidding Im sure there are any number of IA billets the attrites could take to steal a phrase from another thread "free a man to fight".

I have seen a couple of attrites from 303 sent to Iraq as convoy commanders and camp commandants. We are too short in all services to say thanks for playing go away.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
skidkid said:
yeah no kidding Im sure there are any number of IA billets the attrites could take to steal a phrase from another thread "free a man to fight".

I have seen a couple of attrites from 303 sent to Iraq as convoy commanders and camp commandants. We are too short in all services to say thanks for playing go away.

Marine Corps are the only ones not sending them packing for attriting...

Crowbar

None
skidkid said:

I'm with you here, but there are definitely some exceptions who should be bagging groceries or selling doors door-to-door instead of...anything military.

theduke

Most people I talk to say that they thought Primary was much more memory intensive than API and concerned less with concepts

that about sums it up

now, i should offer the caveat that i'm an SNFO, so my Primary isn't quite the same.

I thought API was like a part time job. An easy part time job. I studied for about 2 hours the night before every test, and that's about it (in addition to the 4 hour days in class or the pool). I basically never took any notes in class...just sat and listened, then went over the review questions the night before the test. I had a 94 average at the end.

Primary has been MUCH more work so far. Nothing about it is DIFFICULT, it's just that it's an absurd amount of information to just straight-up commit to memory. I've never really had to memorize a damn thing in my life, either, so it's a double pain in the ass for me (my degree was mechanical engineering...conceptually far more difficult, but you don't have to memorize much of anything).

theduke

API? Yeah.

Primary is a pain in the ass, though. It seems like every night I'm just sitting down reading, re-reading, and re-reading some more...and eventually just staring at--a different set of things that I have to memorize. Half the time, it's stuff that I really have to question whether there is any good reason to memorize it at all (as opposed to putting it on the kneeboard).

It's annoying, because so far, there is little learning and understanding involved, and a lot of just memorizing T-6 trivia, for lack of a better description.