• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone with an OAR 65+?

MGoBrew11

pilot
Dude, are you sure you want to join the Navy?

You're planning on applying to one of the biggest bureaucracies in the world, yet you can't "play the game" in college and get good grades because...you don't want to? You're going to be asked to "play the game" a lot in the Navy. In my salty eight months I have already had to endure countless pointless training sessions for various things. But I do them because I still believe in the overall mission and I know it is just part of achieving my goal to get wings. If you can't put in the effort to get good grades because you think that's stupid, why should the Navy trust you to do what they tell you because you might think it is pointless?

NavyOffRec is trying to help you. Don't sweat the OAR, try to improve your app in other ways.

Bp00

That is a great point brenbuck. I would obviously have to take a different approach/ attitude if I were to be accepted as it is certainly a different situation.

Thanks for the advice.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok that is all I am going to say about that.
Promise?
I want to do Supply, if they deny me that is certainly their right to do so and that would obviously not be what I want. However, I am not going to do something I am not 100% set on just because I have more of a chance to do it.
You kinda' sound like one of those entitled fellows who tried to occupy Wall. St last year, or gasp... a TROLL?
I am kind of an all or nothing kind of guy.
I think you rolled craps here tonight.
BzB

Bp00

I pinky promise. ENTITLED? Not at all and I am certainly not one of those fellows who tried to occupy Wall St. After all these overly friendly posts tonight I may just roll up into a ball, turn on some sex and the city, buy myself some ice cream, and have a good cry.
th

Have a good night fellas.

jjryan07

Iron Eagle
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/astb-study-guide.40399/

Above is the page with a modified version of the atrickpay study guide. I pretty much used that as my Bible, studied hard for 2 solid weeks, and came out with a 62. There are plenty of other resources searchable on this forum.

As for everything else that has been said in this thread, I agree with those who posted before me and their opinions, much more heavily weighted than mine.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
At the risk of getting caught in this crossfire on this thread, I'm one of those guys who pulled a 65 OAR on my first attempt. Here's a link to my post on the big ASTB thread where I documented my test prep:

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?posts/732850/

I studied marketing and psychology but I did spend two years in electrical engineering before I switched majors, so the basic physics concepts on the mechanical section were not entirely foreign. A lot of it comes back to the principle of mechanical advantage. You just need to know how to translate each type of simple machine into that MA formula and then solve for X.

Take an objective look at some of the advice above and think carefully about how you position yourself to the selection board (and their fellow officers on this forum). Your profile shows a little bit of leadership and initiative in some of your school work; I would focus on that over the "my professors were all wrong about my field" attitude. You'll be required to conform to the system and take instruction from those with whom you might disagree a lot in big government. Give some serious thought as to whether that meshes with your personality. Network with some supply officers and get a realistic perspective about the day in and day out work life. Don't base your decision on idealized notions alone.

Just my .02 as a wannabe FNG. Feel free to PM me if you have any more ASTB questions.

Buss

None
First off, I am new here so if my question has already been covered my apologies, but if you could please just make fun of me and point me in the right direction that would be very much appreciated. Secondly, does anyone have a breakdown of how someone studied who scored a 65+ on the OAR? I had a days notice to take it, scored a 55, and will have another opportunity as my kit got postponed for the next board.

I think you're too focused on using a quantitative approach to preparing a package that will primarily be judged qualitatively.

That is a great point brenbuck. I would obviously have to take a different approach/ attitude if I were to be accepted as it is certainly a different situation.

Thanks for the advice.

Having a different attitude and taking a different approach is a great lesson to be gleaned from the chiding. Being more receptive and less argumentative would serve you better, especially in the military. A key component of leadership is drawing from other people's expertise, especially when you're this far out of your element. You're getting great advice from some of the most helpful people I've seen on this forum.

Your current attitude will not serve you well here:

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Of course I know Supply doesn't have anything to do with investing. However it does have a lot to do with leadership skills, getting experience in a leadership type position, and doing a job that I believe serves a good purpose. It is an incredible amount of responsibility from what I have gathered. I figured after graduating I would either do investing type stuff (which is virtually impossible to get into unless you graduated first in your class from Harvard, thus why I focused on beating the S&P500 as that is how money managers are universally evaluated- I mean what is more important to you a 4.0 GPA or having the skill of being able to do it in the real world?) or try to join the Navy like my father.

WRONG - that is the excuse that lazy people use. I didn't go to Harvard by any stretch of the imagination - and when I graduated college I spent 4 years at one of the biggest brokerage houses in the world before choosing to leave and fly for the Navy. I do have an advanced degree in Finance and Economics and to me your profile says nothing. You want to know how you get one of those jobs in high Finance? You bust your ass in college to get amazing grades, which MIGHT lead to an interview if your grades were better than your peers, which COULD lead to a job if you can back up your credentials with actual skill. Its a very similar process to getting a desirable job in the Navy. If your perspective is to not listen to your professors when they try to teach you the Dividend Growth or CAPM models because you (with no experience) think they aren't "real world applicable" - you will never survive in the Navy.

Bp00

Alright guys, I am out. Thanks for all the different perspectives and thanks to the people who answered my initial question, I appreciate it.

red_ryder

None
First of all, thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the advice/ your time as I am obviously new to the process so every bit helps.
@busybee - See this is why I don't want to get into this. I could sit here and post 4 years of Economics and Finance and walk you through it so you can understand how I am making decisions starting out with basic Supply and Demand curves and getting through the history of monetary policy; however, that seems a little much for the point of this post. :) If you look at my information and you have a advanced degree in finance or Economics you should understand exactly what I was doing. Plus a lot of the information at this point is public information. I am not gaming the application at all, I am just being candid about my general experiences. I am not quite sure what you meant about me gaming it, trust me, that is not at all my attitude or intention. My father was in the subs back in the day and I think joining the Navy is a very respectable career path. I also think putting yourself in harms way in order to carry out what is in the best interest of the country is incredibly selfless and admirable.Plus, John F Kennedy is a personal hero of mine.

@NavyOffRec

Of course I know Supply doesn't have anything to do with investing. However it does have a lot to do with leadership skills, getting experience in a leadership type position, and doing a job that I believe serves a good purpose. It is an incredible amount of responsibility from what I have gathered. I figured after graduating I would either do investing type stuff (which is virtually impossible to get into unless you graduated first in your class from Harvard, thus why I focused on beating the S&P500 as that is how money managers are universally evaluated- I mean what is more important to you a 4.0 GPA or having the skill of being able to do it in the real world?) or try to join the Navy like my father. After that I would either make a career out of it if I loved it after the first four years, use it to transition into Public Finance (somewhere I believe I could have a large impact), or go back to investing after getting an MBA (thus the GMAT score). I don't obviously know yet as I haven't been a Supply Officer.
You can only do your best...if you want to retake it, retake it. Otherwise wait and see if you got in anyway.

40144438.jpg