• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone with an OAR 65+?

Bp00

Gentlemen,

First off, I am new here so if my question has already been covered my apologies, but if you could please just make fun of me and point me in the right direction that would be very much appreciated. Secondly, does anyone have a breakdown of how someone studied who scored a 65+ on the OAR? I had a days notice to take it, scored a 55, and will have another opportunity as my kit got postponed for the next board. I have no prior knowledge of the Mechanical stuff so I believe that is where I lost about 90% of my points. If anyone could enlighten me that would be great. Thanks for your time guys.

P.S. I saw a function question on the math portion; which, I thought was very strange as I didn't think the OAR had function type questions in it.

exNavyOffRec

I am guessing you are under the impression that the OAR is key to getting selected, hate to tell you but it is not, essentially anything over 50 is good, and for the most part anything over mid 40's isn't bad, if you are going for aviation, then what are your PFAR and FOFAR, if you are going for anything else then GPA and degree are key, the designator will depend on specifics.

Bp00

NavyOffRec,

Thank you for your reply. I know that the OAR merely has some bearing on the decision; however, I thought that based on my ability I had a poor showing than I otherwise would with proper time to study. Therefore since my board got delayed I have nothing to lose by taking it again and in the grand scheme of things wouldn't take a large amount of time. I also believe it would go up significantly if I had proper time to study the Mechanical section. I studied Finance and Economics so I will be applying for Supply. My GPA wasn't good; however, it was on purpose as I focused more on the application and Finance and Economics isn't exactly a cut and dry subject if you catch my drift. You can see my information section to see more information on this.

Thanks for your thoughts.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I got in with a 58 OAR and a 3.02 GPA...you need to study for the ASTB you are already above the median score by a good chunk...and quit nuking it.
Pickle

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,

Thank you for your reply. I know that the OAR merely has some bearing on the decision; however, I thought that based on my ability I had a poor showing than I otherwise would with proper time to study. Therefore since my board got delayed I have nothing to lose by taking it again and in the grand scheme of things wouldn't take a large amount of time. I also believe it would go up significantly if I had proper time to study the Mechanical section. I studied Finance and Economics so I will be applying for Supply. My GPA wasn't good; however, it was on purpose as I focused more on the application and Finance and Economics isn't exactly a cut and dry subject if you catch my drift. You can see my information section to see more information on this.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The OAR gets no more than a glancing look, for Supply your GPA, LOR's, leadership, community involvement and motivational statement will get much more attention, if you meet the age requirement I would add SWO to your list, Supply has a low selection rate (not as bad as IDC) and they tend to be picky, I had one person that I can remember who was picked up with a GPA less than the mid 3's for supply and that person had a very impressive application. If you want to be a USN officer apply to the designators that you have the best shot at.

Bp00

I am only interested in Supply from what I have gathered from doing my homework as I think it would make much more sense given my background. My application is a very unique application so if they choose not to accept me I would understand; however, I would say merely taking my GPA as an indicator of success would be quite presumptuous. Without getting into Economics and Finance too much, do you really think your average state University is 100% candid when it comes to teaching people how to invest? For example let's say there is a guy who has 60+ years of beating the S&P500 (you can guess who I am talking about by looking at my profile) and you listen to what he says and read every book that he has ever recommended and applied his theories beautifully. Then you go to school and they teach you a bunch of other theories that are in direct contradiction of that man. Are you just going to sit there and pound theories into your head you know aren't true? I'm not.

Ok that is all I am going to say about that. I want to do Supply, if they deny me that is certainly their right to do so and that would obviously not be what I want. However, I am not going to do something I am not 100% set on just because I have more of a chance to do it. I am kind of an all or nothing kind of guy.

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My GPA wasn't good; however, it was on purpose as I focused more on the application and Finance and Economics isn't exactly a cut and dry subject if you catch my drift.
I find it beyond belief, that your low GPA was "on purpose"? You want to ACE your OAR, but purposely blew your GPA. I'd call that a conflict of interest. No, I don't 'catch the drift', but then most of us are not Wall St Mavens!:rolleyes:
You can see my information section to see more information on this.
Right, that certainly clears things up. You are overthinking (gaming?) the whole approach to your application kit prep, to the point that it could negatively affect your chances for selection for anything. I think your real destiny is in the pits on Wall St.:eek:

JMHO, other opinions may vary....
BzB

exNavyOffRec

I am only interested in Supply from what I have gathered from doing my homework as I think it would make much more sense given my background. My application is a very unique application so if they choose not to accept me I would understand; however, I would say merely taking my GPA as an indicator of success would be quite presumptuous. Without getting into Economics and Finance too much, do you really think your average state University is 100% candid when it comes to teaching people how to invest? For example let's say there is a guy who has 60+ years of beating the S&P500 (you can guess who I am talking about by looking at my profile) and you listen to what he says and read every book that he has ever recommended and applied his theories beautifully. Then you go to school and they teach you a bunch of other theories that are in direct contradiction of that man. Are you just going to sit there and pound theories into your head you know aren't true? I'm not.

Ok that is all I am going to say about that. I want to do Supply, if they deny me that is certainly their right to do so and that would obviously not be what I want. However, I am not going to do something I am not 100% set on just because I have more of a chance to do it. I am kind of an all or nothing kind of guy.

I think you may have a misconception as to what a Supply officer does, there are a few here on this site that are Supply officers, I believe tiz84 is one, but investing is not a part of it, the ones that I have known it was pretty much inventory management, and personnel management, but a few could give a clearer picture.

You might also talk to a few SWO's on here and compare that to Supply, there are some similarities.

The USN essentially believes they can train you to do the job, that is why I have had not only a business major picked for Supply, but also history, English, engineers, and even a film studies major accepted into Supply.

While you and others may not like that GPA is used as a measure of success, it is, with some boards quite heavily, it is just one of those things.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

Well now you just sound like a douchewaffle...Go SWO, you'll fit in better...or go make a million dollars with your sixty years of investing advice...but don't lecture an Officer recruiter on selection criteria.
Pickle

Bp00

First of all, thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the advice/ your time as I am obviously new to the process so every bit helps.
@busybee - See this is why I don't want to get into this. I could sit here and post 4 years of Economics and Finance and walk you through it so you can understand how I am making decisions starting out with basic Supply and Demand curves and getting through the history of monetary policy; however, that seems a little much for the point of this post. :) If you look at my information and you have a advanced degree in finance or Economics you should understand exactly what I was doing. Plus a lot of the information at this point is public information. I am not gaming the application at all, I am just being candid about my general experiences. I am not quite sure what you meant about me gaming it, trust me, that is not at all my attitude or intention. My father was in the subs back in the day and I think joining the Navy is a very respectable career path. I also think putting yourself in harms way in order to carry out what is in the best interest of the country is incredibly selfless and admirable.Plus, John F Kennedy is a personal hero of mine.

@NavyOffRec

Of course I know Supply doesn't have anything to do with investing. However it does have a lot to do with leadership skills, getting experience in a leadership type position, and doing a job that I believe serves a good purpose. It is an incredible amount of responsibility from what I have gathered. I figured after graduating I would either do investing type stuff (which is virtually impossible to get into unless you graduated first in your class from Harvard, thus why I focused on beating the S&P500 as that is how money managers are universally evaluated- I mean what is more important to you a 4.0 GPA or having the skill of being able to do it in the real world?) or try to join the Navy like my father. After that I would either make a career out of it if I loved it after the first four years, use it to transition into Public Finance (somewhere I believe I could have a large impact), or go back to investing after getting an MBA (thus the GMAT score). I don't obviously know yet as I haven't been a Supply Officer.

Anyways, this thread is getting way off track it's original intention. I have enjoyed the conversation guys. Again, if anyone has an OAR score of 65+ or knows of someone who had a thread explaining exactly what they studied I would love to hear what they have to say so that I can retake it as I want the best possible showing I can achieve. Thanks for your time everyone!

Bp00

@pickle

A Douchwaffle? I wasn't lecturing him about anything. In fact I believe I wrote multiple times that I would completely understand if I was denied for that. I was merely stating as to why perhaps in my area of study it may not be completely 100% transparent; therefore, I tried to get a record of success at it that was actually a universal way to be judged.
What does being on the fast train from Spain mean?

Bp00

@pickle

I got that after the picture came up for some reason it didn't show up the first time you replied. I think it's fine. Anyways, like I originally asked, if someone has a link to somebody's explanation of how they got a 65+ Oar that would be great. Thanks.