• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone know this guy?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
F-8 was sexy. Damn sexy.
Right on, younger Brother!

If the F-8 Fighter 'rons were still truckin' when I got my Wings ... that's where I would have gone. All they were staffing for Nuggets was VFP-163 and the VFC @ Gitmo .... sniff, sniff .... so long, Gunfighters.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
There is a great F-8 in the Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola. Spent alot of time poking around in there. They have a couple of the guns removed and displayed, a tribute to the "Last of the Gunfighters"...

Know its a long trip for ya A4's...but if anybody ever gets the chance...its worth a look.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
That's not what The Last of the Gunfighters means...The F-8 was the last US airplane (maybe last period??) that was designed with guns as its primary weapon.

<edit> actually cannons...but I don't think that is anyones point.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
I don't know what you guys are talking about... the Hornet is a better gunfighter than the F-8 could have ever hoped to be. 6000 rounds/minute, and unlimited alpha, and radar aquisition and tracking anyone?

Sorry ... :) ... I know you love your new mount. And with good reason... and remember ... it ain't the machine -- it's the man. And the F-8 boys were second to none in ACM.

But let's face it --- the Hornet will NEVER have the "panache" of the last of the U.S. Navy Gunfighters ... ain't no way. :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Controlsreleasefeetoffruddersspeedbrakesinifstilloutofcontrolthrottlesidlealtitudeaoayaratecheck...

I can do the whole thing in one breath

Most IPs here will hit you for doing it that fast...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What is alpha?

I assumed he was referring to AoA, but I may be wrong. Just out of curiousity (and to anyone w/ experience), wouldn't the lack of rearward visibility in the F-8 (or F-4 for that matter) be a huge disadvantage in a turning-fight, or any sort of BFM?