• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone in Oceana area????

kelly

D_macs Wife
We just got Orders!!! yeah Oceana here we come.... Was hoping to get a little info on the area. I have been searching the VA beach area, for rentals, unable to locate anything. Not sure of what areas are good, what is close to base, and what areas to avoid (traffic, bad neighborhoods, etc.). There's not much on AW about Oceana, so maybe some of you that have lived there, or are currently living there could help me out. Anyone know of any rentals that are posted in the squadrons? I dont want to just depend on rent.com or the sort. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kelly

rare21

pilot
Contributor
If you decide to live in norfolk dont, i repeat, dont live at gates of west bay...ever.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
we lived in "the mayflower" on the boardwalk in va beach. it was a pretty small apartment, but worth it. they offer rpp, rent and utilities were within bah, and we were right on the beach--absolutely fantastic.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Renting for now (house), until after the RAG and when we know we'll be on the East Coast for a little longer

kelly

D_macs Wife
Right now we are wanting to rent a home 3+ bedrooms, for we have three kids. Would like to have a garage, and a yard. In about a year we will be up for buying. I have kinda figured that we will be out of pocket some with renting, but until we know if we will be staying that is what we are going to have to do.

Thanks for all the help thus far... keep it comin'!!
Kelly

Fred

Are your kids in school yet? If so, what grades? My husband was stationed at Oceana from 01-04. He's now at Norfolk. We've lived in Va Beach for 5 years.

kelly

D_macs Wife
I have two three year olds and one two year old, so they are not school age yet. Do you know if there is a pre-k-3 there in Oceana?

Kelly

Fred

There may be one on the base, I'm not sure. My son went to Mother's Day Out Pre-school and Kindergarten in Kempsville. I absolutely loved everything about the school.

We rented a house in Kempsville the first year we were here and then bought out near Pungo. It took my husband about 15-20 to get to Oceana from either house.

As far as rentals have you contacted the housing office? In the past they have had a list of rentals. Militarybyowner.com has rentals as well as houses for sale listed. What price range are you looking at for a rental?

kelly

D_macs Wife
I will have to check that out with the schools. We are hoping to stay under 1600. That looks like it will be hard to do though. The housing office said check the base web site, but there were no rentals listed on there, just the apartments. Thanks for the help!!

KElly

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kelly said:
I will have to check that out with the schools. We are hoping to stay under 1600. That looks like it will be hard to do though. The housing office said check the base web site, but there were no rentals listed on there, just the apartments. Thanks for the help!!

KElly

Rental houses go fast. My daughter (30) rents at $1400 in Little Neck neighborhood and has a great house/location (some of best elementary schools and sports stuff going for kids...great pre school through local church). I also have a house I rent out and usually it's rented way before we change tenants due to word of mouth so you have to look and move fast if you find something. Housing market was pretty hot overall until this season (values were climbing like a rocketship). I think it's readjusting slightly downward right now, but a realtor could tell you all that.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
My realtor really hooked me up when I bought a house in Norfolk, and now she's doing property managment, too. She's really cool...in fact we're still friends. She just moved into a rental home herself, so she's REAL familiar with the market as both an agent and a consumer.

Check out her website... www.shanteonline.com or you can give her a call:
757-692-4411

KimberlyD

Since you need a 4 bedroom, King's Grant, Kempsville, Courthouse Estates, Christopher Farms, etc are going to be your "target" areas. There are other 4 bedrooms, Lake Placid has 4 bedroom houses but it's scary to go in at night. Avoid anything that is in Green Run HS & Larkspur MS is iffy. Salem also has 4 BR's but it's scary, a friend of mine lives off Lynnhaven in a 4 BR over there, her rent is $1400.

There is a rental on my parent's street (Falcon Avenue) in Kempsville, I'm familiar w/ the house, it is a 3 BR (since 3 BR's are the norm & the 4 BR's are only ones w/ additions like my parents) but w/ your kids being so young could work HOWEVER, it generally rents around $1500 since you're paying for the ability to send your kids to Kempsville schools. Same thing w/ King's Grant & Great Neck, you're paying for the schools.

VB doesn't have paid Pre-K, I don't know if you're religious but most of the preschool programs are through the churches there, IMO Kempsville Baptist & Kempsville Presbyterian offer the best programs.

Even if we hit VB just for the RAG, we would buy again & keep it as a rental. The market is crazy & just continuing to go nuts. Our realtor is Greta Wiltz at William E Wood, she knows a retired military guy who does rentals, you might want to e-mail her at greta2@erols.com.

kelly

D_macs Wife
Ok another question......How about Ocean Lakes area???? It is a good area? it is safe??? and is it loud with all the jets that close?
kelly

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KimberlyD said:
VB doesn't have paid Pre-K, I don't know if you're religious but most of the preschool programs are through the churches there, IMO Kempsville Baptist & Kempsville Presbyterian offer the best programs.

There are paid Pre-K schools in VB. In King's Grant, Prince of Peace is the one most folks send their kids to and it's been in business for quite some time. It's nondenominational and run as a school using the classrooms and facilities of a Lutheran Church. Both my daughters went there and my grandkids are cycling through it now.