• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any new Meridian Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you can score some househunting leave, I believe the Housing office on base will have some info.

LSUMarine

Lay off me! I'm starving!
Lairdjp and Spin, get the lead out and get up here. They're running short of people for IWO duty. :D And I want to take some more leave before classing up. And yeah... and you'll have plenty of time to pre-study then.

Lairdjp

pilot
LSUMarine-
I will definitely be taking leave when I get to Meridian in 2 weeks. However, you can give your IWO duty to my Marine buddy that'll be there next week.

AprilFool

So, yeah . . . a couple of ideas for housing. First, there are a few realtors around town that can help out. Second, the base housing office has many possibilities and the ladies that work there are VERY helpful. The housing office can also hook you up with people that are looking for roommates. Third, there are some posts in the squadron spaces of homeowners that are moving and are looking to rent out their home. Any of these options pretty much require you to come and look around town and find out what you like. To be honest, it wouldn't take you much time to look at houses that interest you if you called ahead. I've had two places here and both times I found what I was looking for in a day or two. Good luck!

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
concur with chewie. i got a contract on my house the weekend I was up here for house hunting... (there's a good deal on a new construction directly next door to me if interested) have your ducks all lined up before you get up here.....

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I've been leaning towards Northwood Place apartments. Talked to a friend who recommended them and said they were a pretty nice complex. I'm now just debating over whether to live in an apt or a house. My girl/fiance will be coming down in Sept after we get married so a roomate situation doesn't really make sense as it will be for like 2 months. Any takers in the house vs. apartment thing.

Peace,

-Spin

usmcnole

Marine SNA, Advanced, HT ?
Well Spin, congrats on jets...I know that's what you wanted. Personally I wouldn't be so hell bent on leaving Pensacola or with starting TS Jets before it actually starts. From what I hear P'cola is paradise compared to Meridian. Granted it's no West Palm or Ft. Lauderdale, but it's got a beach and it's still Florida. Furthermore, you'll be in TS for at least the next 56 weeks...I would enjoy the time off if it were me.

As for a house or apartment? After my experience in King's Mill I would have to say I will NEVER, EVER live in in an apartment again; provided that I have a choice in the matter. Too many rules, and on top of that there is some shady stuff going on here with the management (holding some people accountable for their "rules", and not others). Besides you can always get more for your money with a house vice an apartment.

Lastly, to find a house, go to Meridian (i hear it's only 3 hours or so away from P'cola) and find a realtor. They will look up houses for rent on the MLS system with the Realtors Association in that area. You will find something pretty quick that way. Trying to do the search yourself will take ages and it will appear as though nothing is up for rent. Anyways, hope this helps.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like stated before, the best resource for finding a place is NAS Meridian's base housing office. They are really good.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Based on my househunting a few months ago, Northwood Place doesn't seem too bad. The Woodlands is also right next door. The Mark up on North Hills seems decent as well, as do Landmark Apartments and Stratford Manor.

Most of the rest on Base Housing's list seem to be in various stages of ghetto-ness or are horribly far away. Supposedly some guys live on the west side of town in the two apartment places down there, but that would be one hellacious commute, IMO.

AprilFool

Just a couple more thoughts about the subject . . . Nit is right that there are a lot of ghetto joints (that I live in one by choice is another subject). However, there are some pretty nice places that you can find for affordable prices - especially if your soon to be wife is going to work. A buddy of mine's fiance just moved down and they have a nice little house for about 1100/month. Sure its more than an apartment, but with a wife, you're going to start sitting at the big kids table, so it'd be nice to have a place where the neighbors won't hear you. There are quite a few houses between highways 45 and 39 that are about 10-15 minutes from base and 5-10 minutes from town. Final thought . . . if you're thinking about doing an apartment and you're getting married, then think about base housing as a possibility. Not the nicest joints, but you're very close to work (ie you can run home for lunch), you'll save on utilities, and there are lots of people your age that you and your wife can socialize with. Downside, places aren't as nice (but certainly liveable) and the social atmosphere can get a little Desperate Housewife-ish, but it has some real bonuses. All right, I'm shutting up . . .

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
One point about Northwoods that you won't figure out until a few months after you signed the year lease...The cable sucks! Unless you have a southern facing balcony, then Americas communications will be your only choice. I always thought cable was cable, but everybody in the complex sends them hate mail on a regular basis.
The Woodlands has Comcast, so they are ok.

LSUMarine

Lay off me! I'm starving!
Ok Ok, no one listen to me, I'm just the FNG, but Northwood Place apartments are freakin terrible, and yes, I do live here. Now granted, I may be biased because I'm just moving here from Compass Bay apartments on the Island in Corpus and these are a real step down, but my apartments in college were nicer than these. And among the many things that suck in this place, the cable is right up near the top. I had Comcast while at TBS and was happy with them, but can I get them here? Oh hell no. This complex has a contact with some po-dunk local company based out of Jackson and you have to get your cable through them. Now I've previously dealt with Cox, Comcast, MediaCom, and Time Warner, and while there have been a few things I didn't like about them, for the most part I was happy with all of them. But this company here, Americas Communication is the devil. I was talking with them several times trying to get setup up and I basically told them to Fuk off. So now I have rabbit ears next to my 42" plasma and I get three broadcast channels, and which, because the wall are so thin, I know my neighbors hear every word of. Lets see, try to find something positive to say about this place.... hmmm.... well, there is a semi-cute chick working in the office... don't know if she's available or not though....
I'm I making my point?

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Chewie said:
...think about base housing as a possibility. ...there are lots of people your age that you and your wife can socialize with.

I can't speak about the housing in Meridian, but I lived in the housing at Whiting Pines for API & Primary. I was hesitant about living in base housing, but it turned out to be the best decision I made down there. You really can't beat the community in base housing and you will make some great friends. It's especially important for the wife to have close friends when you are in a po-dunk location so she doesn't go crazy. I really can't speak highly enough about my experience there. I still keep in touch with all my old neigbors from the "Pines".

Bottom line, give base housing a serious look.

Status
Not open for further replies.