• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

Flugelman

Contributor
And it will be interesting to watch the first wave of flightsuit-clad aviators descend upon the public in places like Norfolk where legions of rabid retired SWO CPOs will be will be met with a hearty and well deserved "fuck you." :D

FIFY
Myself, I could give a shit less what some JO is wearing... :cool:

Renegade One

None
Concur. I could give a shit less about some of the minutia re: flags, wti patches, covers, and black/blue tshirts. THE MAN FINALLY DECIDED TO LET US WEAR THE BAGS IN TOWN.
I'd advise a bit of caution concerning your "GAS" concerning the minutiae..."THE MAN who giveth also has the power to taketh away."...if you ignore the minutiae and go "full retard".

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd advise a bit of caution concerning your "GAS" concerning the minutiae..."THE MAN who giveth also has the power to taketh away."...if you ignore the minutiae and go "full retard".
I'm not advocating ignoring it and fully agree that there's still plenty of ways for a few ding dongs to ruin this for the rest of us, I'm just not getting bent over patch concerns that doesn't seem to change what is the norm for my community.

Renegade One

None
And hot weather desert flight suits is a win for the guys in Kingsville.
Need some education. How is a desert tan-colored NOMEX flight suit any more "a win" than sage green-colored NOMEX flight suits? Isn't this kind a specious argument? Unless you're spending a large part of your day on perimeter security or repainting the runway centerline, don't even try to go all "coefficient of spectral heat absorption" on my ass.
You want to wear them because they LOOK cool...not because they ARE cool. "It's okay...you can say it...they know..." [My Cousin Vinny]
I'm not saying that "the cool factor" isn't important..."cool" is, well, crap..."cool". It's why your previous generations of Air Warriors have been lobbying for this for years... Maybe you should just be happy for a bit instead of arguing for "one more thing".

Renegade One

None
I'm just not getting bent over patch concerns that [don't] seem to change what is the norm for my community.
I probably need an education...what's "the norm" for your community, and how might it deviate (if at all) from the currently-defined regs? Truly curious...hell, we were all over the page "way back when"...which is EXACTLY why we weren't allowed to wear bags outside the gate.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
WOW. With all due respect sir, over the past 11 years I believe enough of us have been to places where we wore brown for a reason - enough that "looking cool" is a non-factor. You can disregard the "coefficient of spectral heat absorption" all you want, the FACT of the matter is that lighter colors ARE cooler (particularly when they've been run through ship's laundry as often as mine). Few of us are in this business to make money and even fewer are in it to look cool.

I don't care what I look like - and to be frank I'm not too concerned with whether you can appreciate that or not.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Just abou all helo drivers I've ever known wear a flag on the left and some other patch (wti, type, det, etc) on the right. A few guys may go minimalistic and wear nothing on the shoulders.

It would seem to me that the flag vs wti patch is meant to address jet wtis who tend to wear their wti patch on the left shoulder and their squadron color type patch on the other.

In my non-cvw experience it seems that this particular rule is speaking to a very small group.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Need some education. How is a desert tan-colored NOMEX flight suit any more "a win" than sage green-colored NOMEX flight suits? Isn't this kind a specious argument? Unless you're spending a large part of your day on perimeter security or repainting the runway centerline, don't even try to go all "coefficient of spectral heat absorption" on my ass.
You want to wear them because they LOOK cool...not because they ARE cool. "It's okay...you can say it...they know..." [My Cousin Vinny]
I'm not saying that "the cool factor" isn't important..."cool" is, well, crap..."cool". It's why your previous generations of Air Warriors have been lobbying for this for years... Maybe you should just be happy for a bit instead of arguing for "one more thing".

Lighter color is cooler in hot weather. It doesn't matter if you're outside for 5 hours or only for the 5 minute walk to the jet.

But alas, this order doesn't pertain to me as I am a Marine. I won't be wearing my flight suit (or my cammies) out in town because I am not allowed to. I'll wear the desert one because that is what we Marines wear in the summer time. (Because lighter colors are cooler than dark colors)

Renegade One

None
I don't care what I look like - and to be frank I'm not too concerned with whether you can appreciate that or not.
I understand the reasons why you wore [desert tan] for a reason in certain combat zones. I certainly appreciate that but, perhaps naively, thought that may have had more to do with E&E in that sort of terrain. My bad...no disrespect intended...all my time in the GOT/IO/PG/AG/KSA not withstanding.
WOW...you've convinced me. ;)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Lighter color is cooler in hot weather. It doesn't matter if you're outside for 5 hours or only for the 5 minute walk to the jet.

But alas, this order doesn't pertain to me as I am a Marine. I won't be wearing my flight suit (or my cammies) out in town because I am not allowed to. I'll wear the desert one because that is what we Marines wear in the summer time. (Because lighter colors are cooler than dark colors)

Actually, I think that Renegade hit the nail on the head here.

Being stationed at the hottest base in America and having deployed to other really hot places many times, I think I can speak with some authority here.

The color makes little, if any, difference. We wore green bags here in Yuma for many years. It's not an insurmountable inconvenience or burden. You won't even notice.

But don't listen to me. By all means continue to sealawyer the shit out of this and then largely ignore what you don't like anyway.

After all, if anything has remained constant in the great flight suit debate over all these years, it's that.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Tan bags shouldn't have anything to do with looking cool, it should be about using all the uniforms the Navy gave you to do your job in. I only have 4 bags, two tan/two sage. Bully to those of you who've accumulated more than that, but I'm just a nugget. That means the Navy took away half my working clothes because someone thought we looked too expeditionary or something INCONUS. So, in hot climates like Milton/Corpus/etc, I sweat my nuts off, and I get to choose between being a shitbag who smells and has sweat rings or doing laundry semi-daily. Granted, I'm up in Nah-fack now, but I'm sure studs and instructors alike will appreciate being able to use all their issued uniforms.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Being able to wear tan INCONUS for hot weather is a big win because two piece is currently only authorized in tan. Combat shirt wins on staying cool/comfortable every time!

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I understand the reasons why you wore [desert tan] for a reason in certain combat zones. I certainly appreciate that but, perhaps naively, thought that may have had more to do with E&E in that sort of terrain. My bad...no disrespect intended...all my time in the GOT/IO/PG/AG/KSA not withstanding.
WOW...you've convinced me. ;)

Since this has turned into you telling us how much smarter you are than the rest of us - I'll gracefully bow out and get on with living my life.

Cheers.:rolleyes: