• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm wondering if the "approved color of T-shirt" thing means the dark blue T-shirts that are the same ones you have to wear with NWUs... Wouldda/couldda/shouldda gone with that color when this whole everyone-wear-the-same-T-shirt-with-flight-suits thing got started.

I'd like to say something snide about the "NUB" and common sense... oops, I just did. :rolleyes:

Renegade One

None
Well...if you can't have a beer while rocking' your bag...? Is this really all about mackin' a Number 1 Meal at McDonald's for breakfast?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The regs talk about off-base drinking... nothing about drinking on-base, although that's not much of a change.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"An improved design of the male E1-E6 Service Dress Blue (SDB) Uniform, incorporating a side zipper on the jumper and a hidden center zipper on the trousers, is approved. The uniform is scheduled to begin distribution in October 2015, at Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes, and Fleet availability is expected by October 2018. Specific details regarding fleet availability will be announced in a future NAVADMIN."

Wow, only six years to get a new pair of trousers out to the fleet. Impressive. (NOT)
Hell, my crackerjack top had a zipper on the side (which was money) and some bitchin' embroidered liberty cuffs back in the early 90s, and I didn't need an NAVADMIN to "authorize" it. :)

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I have the NAVADMIN, but the fourm wont let me post it due to being too long. One of the interesting things is that it specifically states that NSAWC is exempt from the undershirt color rule. I was out there a few months ago and noticed that they were all wearing light blue undershirts.

(A) GREEN FLIGHT SUITS WILL BE WORN WITH EITHER BLACK OR NWU TYPE I BLUE UNDERSHIRTS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF BLUE ANGELS (RETAIN SIGNATURE BLUE FLIGHT SUITS/YELLOW UNDERSHIRT) AND NAVAL STRIKE AND AIR WARFARE CENTER (NSAWC)(RETAIN LIGHT BLUE UNDERSHIRT). UNDERSHIRTS SHALL BE 100 PERCENT COTTON, CREW NECK AND PLAIN FRONT.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Somehow the Nav managed to even make digis look weird. First time I saw them, I though there was a foreign unit here for training.

squorch2

pilot
Courtesy of Hokie, here it is. Fun parts quoted below...

I. FLIGHT SUIT REVISED OCCASION AND MANNER OF WEAR.

EFFECTIVE 60 DAYS FROM THE RELEASE OF THIS MESSAGE, FLIGHT SUIT OCCASION FOR WEAR IS ALIGNED WITH THE NWU OCCASION FOR WEAR POLICIES AS OUTLINED IN REF C, PARAGRAPHS 3 AND 4. THIS POLICY APPLIES TO ONE-PIECE FLIGHT SUITS ONLY.

THIS DECISION UPDATES THE MANNER AND OCCASION FOR WEAR POLICIES CONTAINED IN REFS A AND C.

(1) OCCASION FOR WEAR:

(A) GREEN FLIGHT SUITS WILL BE THE PRIMARY FLIGHT SUIT WORN IN CONUS.

(B) TAN FLIGHT SUITS WILL ONLY BE WORN IN CONUS IN HOT WEATHER ENVIRONMENTS (FALLON, EL CENTRO, CHINA LAKE, LEMOORE, ETC.) AS AUTHORIZED BY THE TYCOM.

(2) MANNER OF WEAR.

(A) GREEN FLIGHT SUITS WILL BE WORN WITH EITHER BLACK OR NWU TYPE I BLUE UNDERSHIRTS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF BLUE ANGELS (RETAIN SIGNATURE BLUE FLIGHT SUITS/YELLOW UNDERSHIRT) AND NAVAL STRIKE AND AIR WARFARE CENTER (NSAWC)(RETAIN LIGHT BLUE UNDERSHIRT). UNDERSHIRTS SHALL PAGE 05 RUEOMFB0023 UNCLAS BE 100 PERCENT COTTON, CREW NECK AND PLAIN FRONT.

(B) TAN FLIGHT SUITS WILL BE WORN WITH BROWN, 100 PERCENT COTTON UNDERSHIRTS. UNDERSHIRTS SHALL BE CREW NECK AND PLAIN FRONT.

(C) FLIGHT SUITS INSIGNIA/PATCHES. INSIGNIA/PATCHES SHALL BE WORN ON FLIGHT SUITS AS FOLLOWS: THE US FLAG PATCH SHALL BE WORN ON THE LEFT ARM SHOULDER APPROXIMATELY 1 INCH BELOW THE SEAM. A WEAPONS SCHOOL PATCH (IF AUHTORIZED) SHALL BE WORN ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER ONLY, APPROXIMATELY 1 INCH BELOW THE SEAM AND OFFICER RANK ON THE SHOULDERS.

ENLISTED PERSONNEL DO NOT WEAR RANK INSIGNIA ON FLIGHT SUITS, BUT RANK SHALL BE INDICATED ON THE REQUIRED NAMETAG.

(D) OUTER WEAR: BROWN LEATHER JACKET. GREEN NOMEX JACKETS ARE ONLY AUHTORIZED ON BASE AND AFLOAT.

(E) HEAD GEAR: KHAKI GARRISON CAP FOR OFFICERS AND PAGE 06 RUEOMFB0023 UNCLAS CHIEFS, BLACK GARRISON CAP FOR E1-E6. BALLCAPS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR OFF-BASE WEAR.

(3) SINCE FLIGHT SUITS ARE NOT A LIBERTY UNIFORM, CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL WHILE OFF-BASE IS NOT PERMITTED. PER REF A, CHAPTER 1, SECTION 2, PARAGRAPH 1201.2, THE AREA OR REGIONAL COMMANDER (PER TABLE 1-2-1) MAY FURTHER RESTRICT UNIFORM POLICY WITHIN THEIR GEOGRAPHIC LIMITS.

Attachments

• NAVADMIN 164-12.txt
    22.9 KB · Views: 47

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, I think it just means you can't wear them on the left and SHALL wear a flag on the left.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Finally, the fixed the tan flight suit rule. Amusing, as I was watching a F-5 taxi by me today with a tan flight suit-wearing pilot.

A WEAPONS SCHOOL PATCH (IF AUHTORIZED) SHALL BE WORN ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER ONLY, APPROXIMATELY 1 INCH BELOW THE SEAM AND OFFICER RANK ON THE SHOULDERS.

Why can they not fix this sentence? Multiple people have spoken with CNAF about the wording of this sentence and it's still just as vague as it was last time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No, I think it just means you can't wear them on the left and SHALL wear a flag on the left.

Unfortunately, that's not how "everyone" reads it. I think most people understand it the way we all interpret it, but there are others that expend a lot of energy enforcing exactly how it's written and not the intent.

squorch2

pilot
Unfortunately, that's not how "everyone" reads it. I think most people understand it the way we all interpret it, but there are others that expend a lot of energy enforcing exactly how it's written and not the intent.
*cough*SWOs*cough*

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Ahhh makes sense. Funny they mention that because Marine tacair is the one place (of all places) where I have consistently seen a lack of conformity with this. Some wear flag, most don't, some wear only one t/m/s shoulder patch, some wear that as well as a topgun or wti on the other side. East coast wears t/m/s on the opposite side as west coast. Every navy guy I've known has worn the standard national ensign on the left, and some sort of airplane patch on right. So I guess this is just a fancy way of telling topgun grads to wear that patch or airplane patch but not both?