• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Annoying Pilots

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Does anybody else find it slightly annoying listening to some of the booger eaters on aviation frequencies?

Today, even a military guy (I think) in a T-34, north on the coastline through Palomar Airport's Class D (Southern California) was asked by tower to "ident." It's almost a bad cliche to hear a pilot say "Standby for the flash" after that. To me, that has super geek written all over it. How about "Roger?"

I also have noticed a large percentage of general aviation folks starting their initial contact with controls with the word "And" drawn out for a second or two. I have no idea why this is. It goes like this..."Aaaaand Cessna xyz, over Lakeside with information Alpha for landing.." What's with saying "And" when establishing comms with ATC?

Then there's the folks that turn the aviation comms into a song. I can't even describe it here but instead of just talking to somebody in a plain voice like over the phone or face to face, the aviation comms take on a whole life of their own. Makes me want to slap somebody through the radio.

I'm sure there are some good stories out there. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Rant complete.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even in South America,they say "yyyyyyyyyy" or "ehhhhhhhh LAN XXX...."

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
Then there is the shrill call of the female pilot that violates my eardrums every now and then. Nothing like waiting your turn to key the mic when a deafening "shrieeeeek, nag nag nag, shrieeek" cuts to the front of the line. Yelling/shrieking into the mic won't make you easier to understand!!! Mom!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anybody else find it slightly annoying listening to some of the booger eaters on aviation frequencies?

Today, even a military guy (I think) in a T-34, north on the coastline through Palomar Airport's Class D (Southern California) was asked by tower to "ident." It's almost a bad cliche to hear a pilot say "Standby for the flash" after that. To me, that has super geek written all over it. How about "Roger?"

I also have noticed a large percentage of general aviation folks starting their initial contact with controls with the word "And" drawn out for a second or two. I have no idea why this is. It goes like this..."Aaaaand Cessna xyz, over Lakeside with information Alpha for landing.." What's with saying "And" when establishing comms with ATC?

Then there's the folks that turn the aviation comms into a song. I can't even describe it here but instead of just talking to somebody in a plain voice like over the phone or face to face, the aviation comms take on a whole life of their own. Makes me want to slap somebody through the radio.

I'm sure there are some good stories out there. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Rant complete.

I know the type - sing-song voice on the radio, like they're a fucking TV announcer.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
(1)..... It's almost a bad cliche to hear a pilot say "Standby for the flash" after that. To me, that has super geek written all over it. How about "Roger?"......

(2) I also have noticed a large percentage of general aviation folks starting their initial contact with controls with the word "And" drawn out for a second or two. I have no idea why this is......
1. I don't say anything ... stopped doing it decades ago .... I just hit the "ident" feature of my equipment, and let it do the talkin' for me --- if there's no ID paint you may rest assured the ATC "adviser" will ask again ... and conversely, if he's got you -- he'll do all the "roger-ing" that needs be done for both of you ...

2. They're trying to sound like what they think Chuck Yeager sounds like ...

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
The "annnnddd" comes from people keying the mike before they really know what they're going to say, I also think it has to do with how current you are. I'm flying in some unfamiliar areas these days and I found myself doing it (just slightly) so of course I made myself do eight-count body builders until I died.

Another annoying thing, this time from ATC. If you mean for me to switch to 120.475, than say that. Do not say 120.47 and just let me figure it out. You're just sitting at your ^%#@$ desk so say the whole damn freq. It will help my lonely chimp mind to cope...

phrogpilot73

I used to start transmissions off with "and." A lot. Took the Air Boss to come down to the ready room and embarrass me, for me to even NOTICE. I eventually said what I was going to say twice - once before, then keyed... This helped me stop saying "and". And no, I don't need to say it twice now...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Yeah... I did the"AAAAAAND" thing to... pissed the living hell out of my IPs.. A 2 on comms for an end of block flight cleared that up quick...

All goes back to think, key, speak...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeahhhhh...this is ahhhhh Turbo threeeeee fourrrrrrrrrrrrrr....I'm gonna have to ask for clearance now, yeahhhhhh.

lumberg.jpg

MasterBates

I used to say aaand on the radio as well. Being summoned to PriFly (I was a helo 2P, I had no idea what PriFly WAS, I thought we were picking up some paperwork/crypto/something) cured me of that real quick.

I think I picked it up from a HAC that strongly encouraged you talk like him if you wanted to talk on the radio when flying with him. I did not do it in civ flying or in the VT/HTs, but I was doing it on COMTUEX in 2004.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For SNFOs, since you don't actually fly...how you sound on the radios is part of your professional reputation.

Tape yourself sometime on a flight. We do it in the fleet with HUD tapes and critique ourselves, so it's a valid learning tool.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
you should hear some of the local Japanese x-change students on the unicom at my local field.....:eek: Not to mention the time when I was rolling onto short final (I'd been making regular calls since I was 10 miles out, initially IFR) and I realize some dumb@ss has taxied onto the numbers in his R22.....hilarity ensued...them: " Ahhhhhhhh....hericopterrr xxx hording.....on the (indiscernable babble)"......me: "xxx area traffic, Arrow 6LC, short final, 35".....them: "Ahhhh....hericopterr xxx ahhhh ahhhhh".....me: (pissed off and running out of time) "Helicopter xxx, clear the landing area, traffic short final". The guy proceeds to repeat himself, and I see him plant it on the skids (had been hovering), and with no other option, I go around, and make a nice low pass right in front of him. His respones "Sorry".......ahhhhhhhhhh

Then there are the old guys who ramble on and on, never really getting to the point and using the radio like they were having a personal conversation w/ the controller