• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Annoying Pilots

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
liveatc.com definately helped me to get through primary and intermediate to a point where I feel comfortable on the radios.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
Another annoying thing, this time from ATC. If you mean for me to switch to 120.475, than say that. Do not say 120.47 and just let me figure it out. You're just sitting at your ^%#@$ desk so say the whole damn freq. It will help my lonely chimp mind to cope...

From the FAAO 7110.65R (ATC's bible):

j. Frequencies.
1. The separate digits of the frequency, inserting
the word “point” where the decimal point occurs.
(a) Omit digits after the second digit to the
right of the decimal point.​

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I just got on this thread, but I have to agree whole-heartedly. The problem here is not the pilots, it's the other side of the comms. There's one individual at metro especially who is friendly as can be, but when you're trying to launch on a 15 minute alert you don't want to spend five of those minutes listening to him tell you that it's hot and dusty outside.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
... It's almost a bad cliche to hear a pilot say "Standby for the flash" after that. To me, that has super geek written all over it. How about "Roger?"...

I have no idea your background, but is it perhaps a helo/prop think to think that "Reaper 7 with a flash" or whatever is awful?

I remember in Primary hearing P-3 and Helo pilots go on and on about how much they hated it. When I got to advanced it was all I heard. Different strokes?

But to add to pet peaves, when I am on Center on a Uniform and hear, "Switch to 2-8-2-2-5" then switch to 282.25 only to be greeted by silence, I get annoyed. If I am possibly on a Uniform (which I usually am with center) how about throwing me either a "1-2-8-2-2-5," or a "decimal" in there.

But oh well.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of comm abortions, I heard the absolute worst ever example last week here at NUW. No surprise, it was a P-3, first clobbering up ground by requesting then receiving an excruciatingly long clearance (I hear they have a whole separate freq for that), THEN completely screwing up the read-back on a DP that is totally standard ops for the local area! Jesus Christ! I don't know what folks are doing at other bases, but when I read-back a clearance for a canned route, I read-back the departure button and the squawk - that's it. Everything else is standard - it's canned for a reason.

Brett

plc67

pilot
At your busiest airports the ATIS will often tell you to only read back your transponder code and ATIS unless you have a question when receiving your clearance.
My pet peeve is to be on approach in IMC being vectored for a final turn on to the ILS when someone comes on freq and delivers the Gettysburg Address while the loc is coming alive and the controller can't get a word in to give me the final intercept heading and clear me for the approach.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot

Quote:

j. Frequencies.
1. The separate digits of the frequency, inserting​
the word “point” where the decimal point occurs.
(a) Omit digits after the second digit to the​
right of the decimal point.​
Yeah, and I bet you were the one who read the rules to Monopoly too. I can't argue with the pub, but I'll sure try. The single most screwed up radio comm in the ATC world is the freq readback/switch. (I can't back this up so it won't help to prove me wrong) Simply reading all six digits, as is the requirement in Europe and other parts of the world, would actually save time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, and I bet you were the one who read the rules to Monopoly too. I can't argue with the pub, but I'll sure try. The single most screwed up radio comm in the ATC world is the freq readback/switch. (I can't back this up so it won't help to prove me wrong) Simply reading all six digits, as is the requirement in Europe and other parts of the world, would actually save time.

Why would you even worry about the 6th digit in the US when it's not even used? It's completely superfluous comm. When in Europe, act accordingly.

Brett

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
Why would you even worry about the 6th digit in the US when it's not even used? It's completely superfluous comm. When in Europe, act accordingly.

Brett

It is used, not as often but that would make it even more important to be explicit and read the whole damn freq. I KNOW when told to push 132.22 it means 132.225, it's not a big deal but a small pet peave that occasionally arises. Using that logic we should be able to drop the first digit off the altimeter too, right? "Set 0.10" obviously means 30.10, but I don't hear that 'time saver' being used.

What are you doing up now anyway? :icon_wink

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is used, not as often but that would make it even more important to be explicit and read the whole damn freq. I KNOW when told to push 132.22 it means 132.225, it's not a big deal but a small pet peave that occasionally arises. Using that logic we should be able to drop the first digit off the altimeter too, right? "Set 0.10" obviously means 30.10, but I don't hear that 'time saver' being used.

What are you doing up now anyway? :icon_wink

I have never heard a controller use the 6th digit in CONUS. Again, what would be the point? It's not like there's a 132.226. Again, superfluous comm. Now, dropping off the first number for VHF is another story altogether, but now you're mixing analogies. BTW, lots of folks drop the first digit of an altimeter setting - I hear it all the time both on readbacks and in ICS comms.

Brett

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
But to add to pet peaves, when I am on Center on a Uniform and hear, "Switch to 2-8-2-2-5" then switch to 282.25 only to be greeted by silence, I get annoyed. If I am possibly on a Uniform (which I usually am with center) how about throwing me either a "1-2-8-2-2-5," or a "decimal" in there.

But oh well.

Wouldn't that put you just a little outside the VHF comms range? :p

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently 121.X freqs mean you can drop off the whole first three digits; I remember being told "Contact ground point niner" all the time flying out of Pensacola Regional.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bad: a hornet RAG instructor bitching about how shitty and slow the CQ deck is working while holding overhead on base while a squadronmate has his radio relay unknowingly selected to tower...

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Apparently 121.X freqs mean you can drop off the whole first three digits; I remember being told "Contact ground point niner" all the time flying out of Pensacola Regional

That one threw me for a loop when I first started working here.. "Blah, blah, contact ground on point 65 at Spot whatever.." But now have gotten use to it and don't have to look at my Jepps/LIDO and try to decifer what the heck he/she mean't.. Heard it at lots of places.. Seems that .9, .65, and .8 are the common ground freqs..

BTW Go Jags! :football_

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Witnessed this one from time to time..

Prowlers during man-up/hot-switch some how switching their ICS over to their main radio and listening to some very interesting conversations on tower.. Funny when you were on the launch but not so funny watching the boss rip into the Powler rep in pri-fly... :eek: