• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AMEX Platinum

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Download their app on your smart device. Go to offers and several local and nationwide things pop up. Amazon was on there until dec 31st. You may be able to do it via their website also, I dunno.

Also: to anyone who has the card, if you haven't used your $200 airline credit this calendar year, you only have a couple of days left to use it. With most airlines, you can purchase gift cards in $50 or $100 increments and it will credit your account. Go to flyertalk.com for details and to see if your airline that you chose allows it. I did it with AA. You can turn around and do it again January 1st and have $400 total in airline gift cards that you can use for airfare, etc.

I just really haven't had the time to go look into this, so figured I'd ask here... That $200 is for one specific airline, correct? I bought myself a "hearty" sandwich on my way home this holiday season while flying Delta, but after the fact, I realized that I think I have United as my airline of choice for AMEX. Am I mistaken or do I need to "eat" my $9 sandwich (which is probably more filling than the actual sandwich)?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You have to call AMEX and pick an airline for the reimbursement. I picked Delta due to American switching away. Just bought two $100 certs before the end of the year. Haven't seen the statement credit yet though, and it's been 2ish weeks. Anyone had to call to get them?

The points are nominally worth 1 cent, so 50,000 works out to about $500. As for using your points, transfers to airlines during specials are usually the best way to maximize them. Using them on their points store or on Amazon usually makes them worth less than a cent, but spending them is easy.

Also, Platinum Concierge is money while on boat-net. One email can get reservations, flowers, dinner plans, etc.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
You have to call AMEX and pick an airline for the reimbursement. I picked Delta due to American switching away. Just bought two $100 certs before the end of the year. Haven't seen the statement credit yet though, and it's been 2ish weeks. Anyone had to call to get them?

The points are nominally worth 1 cent, so 50,000 works out to about $500. As for using your points, transfers to airlines during specials are usually the best way to maximize them. Using them on their points store or on Amazon usually makes them worth less than a cent, but spending them is easy.

Also, Platinum Concierge is money while on boat-net. One email can get reservations, flowers, dinner plans, etc.
I did the exact same thing with AA and it showed up in about a week. It depends on how the airline bills it to your statement, some people have had trouble recently with certain airlines but I thought DL was still working.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
The points are nominally worth 1 cent, so 50,000 works out to about $500.
Can they be redeemed for a statement credit? Just curious, since my MasterCard has that setup, where 10,000 points is worth either $100 in airfare or $75 if you want cash back.
Not a deal breaker either way, I put my application in the mail today.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Can they be redeemed for a statement credit? Just curious, since my MasterCard has that setup, where 10,000 points is worth either $100 in airfare or $75 if you want cash back.
Not a deal breaker either way, I put my application in the mail today.
Yes, but it is a horrible way to spend points. I would have to look it up, but I believe this is one of, if not the lowest value per point. It is a cheap way for Amex to buy their points back.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Yes, but it is a horrible way to spend points. I would have to look it up, but I believe this is one of, if not the lowest value per point. It is a cheap way for Amex to buy their points back.
I figured as much, the Mastercard's the same way. Thanks

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
To wrap up my year of Amex Platinum:
I paid nothing ($600 normally for 2 cards)
I got:
25,000 points ($250 value, still spending them)
Zero lounge visits (didn't comm air all year)
$400 in AA gift cards ($200 each calendar year)
About $150 in statement credits for discount deals via their app
Hilton HHonors Gold Status (yet to be seen, but I estimate about $100 value, we stay at Hilton about 10-15 nights a year)
I don't go out of my way to use it, really only when TAD and when I get a good deal on something.

It would have been about a zero sum gain if I were actually paying the annual fee, but then again I wouldn't have gotten my wife a card if that were the case, so I would have come out a little ahead.

We will see what the new year brings. Looks like their travel bennies are slowly eroding like the rest of the world.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You just made me realize we didn't use my wife's $200 credit. God damnit.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
You just made me realize we didn't use my wife's $200 credit. God damnit.
As long as your wife is an additional card, you're good. It is only $200 per account. If she has her own account then she gets the additional 200 obviously. Global entry and the clubs apply to additional cards, but not the airline credit.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Just got mine as well... surprised they over-nighted it. No more standard mail, like the poor-people credit cards.
I imagine it's for two reasons:
a) they wanted some tracking info on it to cover their asses while it's enroute (plus, the quicker it gets to you, the less likely it gets lost along the way)
b) they couldn't fit the big-ass benefits guide book in a regular envelope :D

It's gonna be interesting trying to clear 3 grand in 3 months, though, especially without carrying any balance. Looks like my truck's getting a few goodies.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's gonna be interesting trying to clear 3 grand in 3 months, though, especially without carrying any balance. Looks like my truck's getting a few goodies.

Not for non "poor-people" it isn't.

The douche factor of this thread went up exponentially two posts ago. Congratulations, you got a credit card. This isn't "American Psycho", no one fucking cares what color your card is.