• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

American Flight 1612

bluesig1

sure thing
None
Luckily she had Autopilot
airplane+AutoPilot+crop.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Another reason for having the 3rd man in the cockpit crew vice two ... personally ... I've 'lost' cockpit crewmen 4 times in a 30 year airline career ... the 3rd qualified cockpit crew member was indispensable to the safe & efficient conclusion of the flight -- especially when on the freighter -- no flight attendants there ... *sigh*.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
So she's a commercially rated pilot. She said the first thing she asked when she sat down was "where are the brakes?" Are brakes in different places on comm carriers?

I realize you don't need to be a rocket scientist to get a comm ticket, but seems that one would know where the brake pedals were/are. Unless they're located somewhere else on that model, in which case I'll eat my words.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Flight Attendant Patti DeLuna tells the paper: "I spent a lot of time in the cockpit looking ...

Having 'experienced' many of the ''Patti's'' of the F/A world ... I can say, w/out hesitation or equivocation: Why, yes ... yes ... yes ... I am certain she did. Looking ... in the cockpit ... quite certain ... :) ... we've had a LOT of 'em over the past few decades in the cockpit ... looking ... looking ... :) ... looking. But looking for WHAT ???

And you-all think the airline gig is 'easy' ... ???

It's SCARY !!!

Treetop Flyer

pilot
"The attendant -- Patti DeLuna -- tells the Tribune she hadn't piloted a plane in about 20 years, and that was a Cessna."

"AA spokeswoman Mary Frances Fagan tells the Chicago Sun-Times that it's protocol to check for off-duty AA pilots on a flight if one of the pilots becomes incapacitated. If no pilots are on board, another crew member can fill in if he or she is capable of the job"

So even if there was an actual pilot on the plane who was not employed by AA, would they still choose a crew member who flew a cessna 20 years ago?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...So even if there was an actual pilot on the plane who was not employed by AA, would they still choose a crew member who flew a cessna 20 years ago?
Actual pilot??? ACTUAL PILOT??? :) I love it ... actually.

BUT: it's CAPT's discretion. It's ALWAYS the CAPT's discretion; especially when the 'rules & regs' and 'procedures & prescedent' don't cover the situation ... it's what we call HEADWORK, RESPONSIBILITY, and ACCOUNTABILITY.

It's why you get the big money ...

And then?? Then you have to answer for it later on ... whether it's SOP or not. Always ...

Me?? I'd have taken the more current ... the hypothetical 'actual pilot' ... anyday, anyway ...

And I would have been 'right'.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Do you want to be the captain who went on the PA saying,"Umm...those of you on the right side will see Hoover Dam...and...uh....does anyone onboard know how to fly a plane?"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Do you want to be the captain who went on the PA saying,"Umm...those of you on the right side will see Hoover Dam...and...uh....does anyone onboard know how to fly a plane?"

That's not the way it works ... if you ever make to 'THE SHOW' ... you'll know ...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Sorry Treetop....Farside cartoons are copyrighted. You can post a link but not the actual cartoon. I deleted your post.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

That's not the way it works ... if you ever make to 'THE SHOW' ... you'll know ...

"The Show?" So what does that make flying for Uncle? The "Pre-Game?"

I just got visions of "Airplane!" thinking about it.

I guess you're saying that you'd take a pilot who's taking his "jumpseat" privileges or other free travel bennies from another airline. That's the only way I'd think you might know who else is a pilot on board, without asking in some form, whether on PA, or via a flt attendant going around.

I mean, you can usually pick out the military on board, but usually the only way to figure out which one's the pilot is to look for the well dressed, good-looking one, enjoying a nice cocktail while chatting up the stew!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"The Show?" So what does that make flying for Uncle? The "Pre-Game?" ....
Well ... you can call it whatever you choose, but like I said: when you make it to 'The SHOW' ... you'll get it. Again, it would take more time & patience than I possess to 'splain it to you right here & now, Lucy ... :)

Some facts of aviation life:

1. Until you realize how little you 'know' ... you'll always be bumpin' your head on the overhead panel. Plan on being a perpetual 'student' when you're in aviation and it will make life 'easier'.

2. When I left active duty w/ @ 2500 hours -- I thought I knew it all.
How WRONG can one person be ... ???

3. When I got to the airlines and 'did it' every day -- every which way but loose -- I realized what being an 'aviation professional' was all about ... and I realized how little I 'knew' about the intricacies and the profession of flying and how far I still had to go ...

4. HEY??? Don't you guys always preach: Officer first ... Aviator 'second' ... or 'next' ... or whatever ???

5. And of course, when it comes to 'aviation' ... you know the score -- 'cause you're military, yea-as ??? Standby for a shock when you go to 'THE SHOW'. If anything, I might say the military is more 'specialized' (and more 'fun'), while the airlines represent a more 'broad-based' application of knowledge where it concerns 'flying'.
:)

6. There's not ONE of you (unless you're God's gift to aviation) who can fly a few hundred hours a year and can compare -- overall -- to the professional knowledge & skills -- overall (I'll say it again) -- w/ a guy who flies over 800+ hours/year.

7. Deal w/ it ... you simply have to ... I did.

8. The defense rests.

ryan1234

but usually the only way to figure out which one's the pilot is to look for the well dressed, good-looking one, enjoying a nice cocktail while chatting up the stew!

Haha....the other pilots are usually the guys who are asleep in an aisle row by the time the cabin door closes.:)

I'm nobody and the company I work for doesn't have jumpseating privis so they have to pay for every ticket to reposition an aircraft... but the other day the FA on an ERJ asked me who I fly for (had normal pants and a polo on) completely out of the blue (no aviation books,etc)... scared the crap out of me at first.. thought I was in trouble with TSA...again.

There's no way they know if you're a pilot.....right?