• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

American Flight 1612

ryan1234

Another reason for having the 3rd man in the cockpit crew vice two ... personally ... I've 'lost' cockpit crewmen 4 times in a 30 year airline career ... the 3rd qualified cockpit crew member was indispensable to the safe & efficient conclusion of the flight -- especially when on the freighter -- no flight attendants there ... *sigh*.

Is it still standard for the whale to have 3 guys?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
So she's a commercially rated pilot. She said the first thing she asked when she sat down was "where are the brakes?" Are brakes in different places on comm carriers?

I realize you don't need to be a rocket scientist to get a comm ticket, but seems that one would know where the brake pedals were/are. Unless they're located somewhere else on that model, in which case I'll eat my words.

According to the article at least, she got her PPL on a Cessna 40 years ago but hadn't flown in the past 20.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Is it still standard for the whale to have 3 guys?

Not 'glass' cockpit birds ...

But:
Yes ... the 'real' WHALES ... and the Diesel-8's and -10's ... the 3-holer's ... the L-10's ... and, of course, the legacy Boeing '07-'s and their progeny ...

ryan1234

Not 'glass' cockpit birds ...

But:
Yes ... the 'real' WHALES ... and the Diesel-8's and -10's ... the 3-holer's ... the L-10's ... and, of course, the legacy Boeing '07-'s and their progeny ...

There was just a job opening for a navigator on a "diesel-8" from NASA... don't see too many of those anymore! Nice lookin birds though!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...."diesel-8" ... don't see too many of those anymore! Nice lookin birds though!
Ditto: I've always been of the opinion that the '-8' was/still is one of the best looking jet transports out there, at least from an eye appeal standpoint. Really 'old school' to fly, however (at least the ones we had 30 years ago) ... :)

deisel8.jpg

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
FE'd on UAL's DC-8s for awhile...had many different series...remember different weight/speed charts for about five different models.

We had about ten 8-62s...worked the JFK-HNL non-stop a couple times...end of the return flight a day (or two) later, felt like I was born on the aircraft.

Joined the "Mile High Club" on the -62 :icon_bigg...as a pax riding HNL-JFK. Pan Am CEO "Jeeb" Halaby and wife were aboard...returning to NYC to get "fired" by the Pan Am BOD...~1971.

Lucy

Just a side comment about the stand-by passengers (whether same airline or a "partner"), the flight attendants know who you are. Whether you are a pilot, maybe they can guess, but at least as stand-by you are more likely to be someone remotely more capable. And on a lot of airlines jumpseat is mechanics/pilots only although often for that specific airline. I would trust the mechanic over a flight attandant anyday (outside if person had the license of course). At least they know where everything is and knowledge about flight, etc.

Just a .02 cents worth.