• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am i to old to fly? Some help

cameronm168

ok i want to fly. preferrably something with wings and not rotors, and either fighter or even A-10s! im not sure which branch i want to or AM ABLE to join... because im 28 and will be 29 in august and from what im reading im to old for some or all programs.. does anybody have any promissing info on which branch either reserve or etc. that im not to freakin old to join up with.
-also.. i know u join for more than just flying.. but its a passion of mine and i fly small planes already and being able to incorporate that in a career that i enjoy and can actually do something that would give me a feeling of purpose and accomplishment would be a dream... if im not to old!

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
ok i want to fly. preferrably something with wings and not rotors, and either fighter or even A-10s! im not sure which branch i want to or AM ABLE to join... because im 28 and will be 29 in august and from what im reading im to old for some or all programs.. does anybody have any promissing info on which branch either reserve or etc. that im not to freakin old to join up with.
-also.. i know u join for more than just flying.. but its a passion of mine and i fly small planes already and being able to incorporate that in a career that i enjoy and can actually do something that would give me a feeling of purpose and accomplishment would be a dream... if im not to old!

Weather or not you have your degree yet will probably be the deciding factor for you. If you do its not to late for USMC if you get on it right away. Go find the contact information for Officer Recruiters or even the enlisted recruiters and call them this week and talk to them, they will have the most current information and you will have to talk to them eventually.

nugget61

pilot
cinema.jpg

Flame on!

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Officer first, aviator second.....

The Navy does not fly A-10s, only the AF.....

Grammar/Capitalization......

Must I continue?????

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Yes, an unsuccessful night turns into me being in a pissy mood at 2 am....

Sorry dude.

I know you can get an age waiver but I think those are difficult to come by. If you want to fly A-10's then apply for the ANG. I think I heard/saw somewhere that the AF extended the Age limit for pilot to 31, maybe because of the UAV program. So like previously stated above Officer first, Aviator second and if you still want this to happen then you need to be on it like white on rice (sorry for the awesome analysis but it's true).

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
cinema.jpg

Flame on!

Why? He's asking a legit question. Try being a little helpful instead of just trying to get everyone on his case. I don't have the answers he's looking for because I don't know if he has a degree or not, and I'm not familiar with other branches' requirements, so that's all I'm gonna say.

navy09

None
^ I've never understood why it's such a heinous sin to say you want to fly jets- they're cool. The OP could have used better grammar, but the guy seems serious about serving.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^ I've never understood why it's such a heinous sin to say you want to fly jets- they're cool. The OP could have used better grammar, but the guy seems serious about serving.

Seems to me that he's more serious about flying because it would be neat-o. Now, for all we know, the guy could be all about service and he just didn't communicate that in his post, but we get these kinds of posts here all the time from people who, all of a sudden, decide that they want to live out their Top Gun fantasies. To make matters worse, this guy is approaching 30 and he still hasn't decided what he wants to be when he grows up. "HEY, I'LL PICK FIGHTER PILOT THIS WEEK - THAT SOUNDS FUCKING COOL!" Great life strategy. That is why these posts get flamed.

Maybe I'm wrong - probably not.

Brett

navy09

None
Maybe you're right. My point was simply that- despite his egregious use of the English language (common in many internet forums)- the guy's not some 15 yr old kid, he's a grown man. For me, that means he deserves a little respect and no one should get too butt hurt because he prefers X platform over Y.

Welcome back, BTW.

flopper

make matters worse, this guy is approaching 30 and he still hasn't decided what he wants to be when he grows up.
Brett

Gonna have to agree with this statement here. Gotta ask this guy what do you do now and why are you interested in a new career when you should be getting well established in another? I have no problem with people changing career fields due to whatever, but its not like you want to apply for medical or law school here; joining the military late in the game is not the wisest of decisions in my opinion. If you want to get on this and are serious about it, make the most of everyday and go straight to an officer recruiter. If you want to fly A-10's, air guard and reserve units hire pilots on an infrequent basis for various platforms. Lots of info on this can be found at www.wantscheck.com

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what exactly is wrong with someone wanting to fly because it's Neat-O, or a topgun fantasy? Hell if it brings em in the door and the guy or gal can get the job done and do it well, and Uncle gets his time out of him/her, does thier motivation really matter that much?

Because these people rarely understand everything that goes along with the privilege of flying in the military - mainly that the flying is but one sliver of what being a military aviator encompasses. Without this understanding, both parties involved (Navy and the individual) are more likely to be dissatisfied. It's not about Uncle Sam extracting a discrete quantity of labor from an individual, but about the Navy getting their money's worth. We need good officers, not just good sticks.

Brett

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
My point is that we really don't know why he wants to fly now, as opposed to earlier in life or what is job is now. So instead of outright bashing at first opportunity, let the guy explain his situation/motivation/desires, and based on that we can either help him out or flame away.