• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All you gun owners give me some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
oztin79 said:
Don't be a moron? GLOCKs got a name because they were the lowest bidder for law enforcement contracts...same as the European 9mm configuration. Sure I've shot tight groupings with them in the past, but they really lack in ergonomics and, often, ingenuity. If you want to use a gun Hollywood likes to film, then you should definitely get one. But if you want an extaordinary gun, check out a few of the other big namers first.

GLOCK is to spectacular guns as Kenny G is to great jazz. I'm pretty sure that allusion was on the ASTB somewhere.

Glock has a name because it has been used by European military and police units. Just because you don't like a firearm, don't right it off for someone else. Glock is as tough a firearm as SIG or Walther or anyone else. You have way too much personal bias.

I know where you are coming from, I used to hate Glocks. First time I shot one, I just did not like it, period. I got a 2nd chance and it was ok. I bought one for the hell of it (good price). I love it now. Very accurate, very reliable, and hell, so easy to maintain. I'm still a SIG man at heart, but I'd easily trust my life with a Glock.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You guys over-simplify ..... the root of this discussion goes much deeper than the mere asthetics and operation of a pistol :

How would YOU like to be saddled with a name like -- *gasp!!* ... GASTON GLOCK ??? Not going to get many girls with a moniker like that .... AW :)'ing lamp is lit ?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
You guys over-simplify ..... the root of this discussion goes much deeper than the mere asthetics and operation of a pistol :

How would YOU like to be saddled with a name like -- *gasp!!* ... GASTON GLOCK ??? Not going to get many girls with a moniker like that .... AW :)'ing lamp is lit ?

LOL that's funny

Now it doesn't matter though... he's rich and armed :)

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
eddie said:
What did it taste like?

Goat meat is tasty. We eat it all the time back home, heck we even served it at our wedding. We've been missing it, but I think they'll frown on me for slaughtering a goat here at Base Housing....some poor kid would never be the same.

I don't like Glocks, but I have to admit, they have a pretty good service record. Take a look at the tests a couple of organizations ran on them. Very reliable weapon, just doesn't fit my hand. Browning Hi Power has always been a favorite, along with single action revolvers like the ruger Blackhawk.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
E5B said:
I don't like Glocks ......

Ditto ...... so then why have I had one for over 10 years ??? Go figure .....

A GLOCK 19 has cycled into/out of my main carry pistols for that 10 year period. I filed down that ridiculous "finger-forward" hold on the front edge of the trigger guard (i.e., "rounded" it) , put Trijicons on it, and had an "enlarged" custom magazine release and slide-lock put on it. With drop-free magazines --- a great semi-little pistol. Indestructible ... and I'm STILL and always WILL be a Colt man ......

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
SoICanBeFree said:
On a simliar note, what handfun does a Marine Corps officer/aviator have to qual with... I was putting some rounds through a 9mm Berrata today the guy at my range told me that was what id qual with @ Quantico. True or false?

Jesus, none of you guys answered his question, thanks to the typical "glocks suck no they don't" argument. YES you will qual on the M9 (equivalent to Beretta 92fs). It's a decent pistol, but if I were choosing a hi-cap 9mm sidearm it would definitely be a Glock 17/19 or a Sig 226/228. In my shooting experience (and I used to teach people to shoot the M9) the Glocks and the Sigs beat the Berettas in EVERY way, but alot of that is personal preference.

Going farther into the old argument, I think the Sig is more ergonomic than the Glock but it has that heavy DA pull on the first round. I like that Glocks have a consistent pull. In the end, though, I chose to own only two handguns, both 1911s. A Colt and a Wilson.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Let's keep this very simple.

First, do what they said and take a safety class.

Second, get familiar with the Beretta if that is what you will qualify with.

Third, shoot as many models as you can till you find the one that you can hit the target with most consistently and that you would carry. If you can't hit what you aim at, you are wasting your time/money. And if you won't carry it because it's too uncomfortable, then you have violated rule #1 of a gunfight: BRING A GUN.

Any of the aformentioned weapons will serve you well if you practice and take care of it.

Steve

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RockyMtnNFO said:
And if you won't carry it because it's too uncomfortable, then you have violated rule #1 of a gunfight: BRING A GUN.

Corollary to said rule: Never bring a handgun to a gun fight if a rifle is available :)

Status
Not open for further replies.