• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All you gun owners give me some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I'm new to the whole gun thing, not a very experienced shooter and am looking to get into it. Would it be a good or bad idea to go get some trigger time/lessons before OCC 190 in October? Or should I just wait and let the Marines teach me how to shoot properly.

Any advice on a good first pistol, getting into the sport in general would be awesome cause I know how much everyone on this forum loves their firearms.

vvmountainvv

if you want to buy a pistol so you can shoot, go for it. i don't think you will gain any leg up on rifle/pistol qualifications in the Corps by shooting for a few months before you go to OCS though. if you think it would be fun, do it. the Marine Corps will teach you to shoot their way though, so if you develop bad habits they might be tough to break when you go to the range.

On a simliar note, what handfun does a Marine Corps officer/aviator have to qual with... I was putting some rounds through a 9mm Berrata today the guy at my range told me that was what id qual with @ Quantico. True or false?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Since you said "ALL" gun owners I feel compelled to respond as I fall under that umbrella. But the only one of your questions that I can answer is that it's never a "bad" idea to learn about firearms ---- for a person in/going into the military --- or anyone else, for that matter ....

Where to start?? Go to a local gun store or hardware store that sells firearms and/or licenses and get connected with the local NRA. Then go to a NRA firearms safety course and that will open the doors for you ....

oztin79

Next question...which .45 to buy...

As a Taurus Millennium PT 145 concealed carrier, I recommend the their 24/7 .45 for a full-size modernized 1911. Though if you want to spend a bit more and have a top of the line piece that you're distant descendants can treasure, check out the Para Ordnance LTC. Awesome!

Good luck and stay away from GLOCKs.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
why do you say stay away from glocks? I own one and am very satisfied with it from a pp/pleasure to shoot perspective.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Alright, I've always used the old Browning High-Power just cause I don't know any better...

I've never been a "gun nut" like some of y'all, though I'd like to think I'm competent with the 9mm

Any chance we can get a "Handguns for Dummies" post on the pros/cons? I realize this could go on for days, but hey...

Reactions: E5B
I'm with you on that one turn and burn.. I need a handguns for dummies post... I looked into the aformentioned taurus subcompact apparently some problems with frames cracking overtime... I think i've got my heart set on a Glock 27 .40 cal as my first handgun/for future concealed use.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
If you find yourself enjoying your new pistol (or whatever) try hunting. What a great sport. Ask your local gun store about a hunters safety class. You have to have it now days to hunt. Good learning experience involving gun safety, clean kills, tracking wounded animals, cleaning the animal, rules and regs etc. When I went through, we had a pretty nice range set up, and they killed a goat, showed us how to field dress then we BBQd it. Good times.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Many gun ranges have handguns that you can "check out" and use at that range. This is a great way to try different calibers/manufacturers/etc. Also, I've found that people shooting at the ranges tend to be very friendly and eager to help. Many times I've admired someone's handgun and they offered to let me put a few rounds through it.

A great time to find out about places like this is at a handgun safety course...

oztin79

Fly Navy said:
Don't be a moron. Glock is a very fine firearm, it's just not for everyone.

Don't be a moron? GLOCKs got a name because they were the lowest bidder for law enforcement contracts...same as the European 9mm configuration. Sure I've shot tight groupings with them in the past, but they really lack in ergonomics and, often, ingenuity. If you want to use a gun Hollywood likes to film, then you should definitely get one. But if you want an extaordinary gun, check out a few of the other big namers first.

GLOCK is to spectacular guns as Kenny G is to great jazz. I'm pretty sure that allusion was on the ASTB somewhere.

Charles9t4

NUPOC 30 July OCS
I carry a Glock 27 .40 cal andd I like it. I like my Taurus .357 mag better though. Personally if I had the money I would probably get an H&K .45 or .40

Status
Not open for further replies.