• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Cruising the interwebs, I stumbled on this. Happened less than 24 hours ago and the d-bags are already on this like white on rice. Bad on the site survey team and the PAO for allowing crowds on the ingress. I figure a couple pilots will have sore cornholes this week anyways, though.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Looking at some other footage, which I'm not sure was at the same demo site, there may have been a Phrog and a couple of Cobras. Those aren't nearly as windy as a V-22.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Cruising the interwebs, I stumbled on this. Happened less than 24 hours ago and the d-bags are already on this like white on rice. Bad on the site survey team and the PAO for allowing crowds on the ingress. I figure a couple pilots will have sore cornholes this week anyways, though.

That thing really fucked those trees up! Damn!

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Little more up close and personal perspective. Standby for updated demo LZ restrictions/parameters.

[video]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ec8_1275337765&p=1[/video]

Pariel

Repost from the thread in General Aviation, in case people weren't looking there:

Pariel said:
I was talking to a VMM-266 pilot on the Iwo Jima today at NY Fleet Week, who said that the spectators were actually in a roped off area (it was one of his squadronmates flying).

Unfortunately didn't get to see the Osprey flying, though.

If Birdog is right, that would be unfortunate.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Little more up close and personal perspective. Standby for updated demo LZ restrictions/parameters.

[video]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ec8_1275337765&p=1[/video]

I can't stop laughing at this video! All the firemen, security, and the dudes with the stretcher! Plus all the kids screaming. That's some funny shit! You should have heard all the Osprey haters at work today. We all had a lot of fun at these poor pilots expense.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor

Makes sense on the spacial-D of the crew chief. But how much do a pair of .50s stickin out of the waist of the Phrog or Shitter weigh? Seems comparable WRT deleting a few troops from the sticks.

What about lookin into this option again now that we have some theater experience to draw from? Why was this dropped in the first place; was it weight, CG, piss off skid guys, combo of all 3...? It also seems that this would eliminate issue of being able to fire while on the ground in the LZ.

V-22 Nose Gun.JPG

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
^^ If they're complaining about 800lbs, do you think a gatling gun setup with the ammo for it is going to fair much better?

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
It says the turret weight is 456#. 456<800.

I don't know why the idea was dropped. I'd suspect money and time, though. An integrated system like that is going to require a lot more development. It's a major airframe change, for one, and for another, the systems integration piece is what always bites one in the ass. A gun like that has to be tied in to a very complicated set of electronics.

Because a system like that would require the nose to be reworked, it would've had to have been integrated earlier in the development process. Since they were already behind timeline, they probably wouldn't want to wait to perfect a turreted gun.

I'd also speculate that such a gun would have an aerodynamic penalty, too.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
4733280332_825032f2a1.jpg

GUN CONTROL
Marine Corps MV-22 Osprey aircraft lifts a 7,000-pound M777 Lightweight Howitzer with the help of Combat Logistics Battalion 46 during an airlift operation at Landing Zone Sandhill aboard the training area of the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, Calif., July 10.(photo courtesy of Marines.Mil)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
4733280332_825032f2a1.jpg

GUN CONTROL
Marine Corps MV-22 Osprey aircraft lifts a 7,000-pound M777 Lightweight Howitzer with the help of Combat Logistics Battalion 46 during an airlift operation at Landing Zone Sandhill aboard the training area of the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, Calif., July 10.(photo courtesy of Marines.Mil)

Well...The triple 7 is "lightweight." If you can get the gun bunnies to agree to it, you can just use this as the belly gun.