• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All DoD personnel accounted for and safe in Japan...

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
No mention of Atsugi? Maybe I shouldn't have answered my phone.

That being said, there really isn't that much damage that I have seen here. The only thing I am watching the situation with the nuclear power plant. The news back home must really be hyping it up the situation out here.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
No mention of Atsugi? Maybe I shouldn't have answered my phone.

That being said, there really isn't that much damage that I have seen here. The only thing I am watching the situation with the nuclear power plant. The news back home must really be hyping it up the situation out here.

CNN would have you believe that Japan is sinking into the Pacific as we speak.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The only thing I am watching the situation with the nuclear power plant.

Yeah, this is a little concerning. Sounds like they've got the plants under control - but waiting on all the anit-nuke power folks back here in the States to point to this as a "see, see, see - we shouldn't have nuke power" moment. All that aside - glad to hear you guys are fine - looks like a complete disaster up north though.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Yeah, this is a little concerning. Sounds like they've got the plants under control - but waiting on all the anit-nuke power folks back here in the States to point to this as a "see, see, see - we shouldn't have nuke power" moment. All that aside - glad to hear you guys are fine - looks like a complete disaster up north though.

Wait until the anti-nuclear folks here roll in on it.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
CNN would have you believe that Japan is sinking into the Pacific as we speak.

Actually, I think the reverse is true, that the island(s) are being pushed upward. I am told by folks at our NRC that all Nuke powerplants are safe, that fuel rods were withdrawn from the core at first signs of an "event". But there is some radiation leakage of cooling water from pipe breakage, serious but not catastrophic. I understand that Yokota AFB was being used as a divert for Haneda and Narita? THANK YOU USA MILITARY.

Pitiful Army Times reporting said the USS Blue Ridge had sortied from the area. Truth is the C7F Flagship was in Singapore, immediately isued an emergency recall of all personnel and began loading relief supplies and would get underway early Saturday morning bound "for the area" not out of the area. THANK YOU USA MILITARY.

jmcquate

Contributor
Japanese Earthquake

Thoughts and Prayers to our Japanese allies.

Anybody hear any news from Futenma, Iwauni or Atsugi?

boobcheese

Actually, I think the reverse is true, that the island(s) are being pushed upward. I am told by folks at our NRC that all Nuke powerplants are safe, that fuel rods were withdrawn from the core at first signs of an "event". But there is some radiation leakage of cooling water from pipe breakage, serious but not catastrophic.

Generally you insert control rods, you don't withdraw the fuel. Even with control rods inserted and the reactor shutdown, there is still a significant amount of heat that has to removed. That process takes hours (maybe days with a large commercial reactor), hence the need for coolant pumps to continue to run. Not to be an alarmist but without the ability to cool the reactor, there is a real potential for meltdown and or overpressure in the reactor vessel. There are reports that pressure levels in the affected reactor at Fukushima are 1.5 times normal and rising. This is potentially very bad.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Generally you insert control rods, you don't withdraw the fuel. .....

No argument in this corner re fuel vs control rods.

Government originally evacuated a 3 km area around Fukushima, recently expanded to 10 KM. I understand the decision to vent has been made due to exteme pressures. I also understand that it was not cooling pipes leaking, rather backup generators that provided no backup, hence no cooling pumps. I do not think the Japanese authorities would bet on the outer dome holding given the high pressures they seem to be seeing. If that outer dome fails, I think, well I hate to think.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Atsugi is fine. No damage, or at least not on any meaningful scale. Someone may have lost a lamp (which happened at the house I was in during the quake) or some glassware, but all is generally well.

I am now attempting to figure out whether I am up or down wind from the reactors, while doing laundry and packing a sea for Husband, who is on alert. But everything here is generally normal and fine.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
We're standing by for HA/DR. Thoughts are with the Japanese. Luckily there was no tsunami to speak of in Guahan.