• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ALERT !!! Retro Gun Thread !!! As it should be .....

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Just out of curiosity... is 357 Sig as available as 40 S&W? I haven't really seen that much 357 Sig, but then I have no real reason to keep my eyes out for it.

How does the price compare w/ 40 S&W? You'll probably want to shoot a great deal to get familiar.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
However, the Texas Dept. of Public Safety has gone .357 SIG and they "average" about 60 +/- shootings/year. They seem to like the cartridge, but shooting through "barriers" seems to be one of their criteria. Probably NOT one of mine in a defensive scenario ....

Precisely. The 357sig was developed with penetration in mind. One of the criteria was penetration of glass (i.e. cars). Windshield glass is a tricky thing to penetrate, as you know. They wanted to give 357sig enough velocity and energy to be able to punch through windshields reliably. Unfortunately, that kind of criteria doesn't always fit well in a defensive application where you want to reduce over-penetration. Like you said though, they like it, and it seems to be working. How are the quality JHPs with bonded jackets, etc holding up to fragmentation?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
Just out of curiosity... is 357 Sig as available as 40 S&W? I haven't really seen that much 357 Sig, but then I have no real reason to keep my eyes out for it.

How does the price compare w/ 40 S&W? You'll probably want to shoot a great deal to get familiar.

Depends where you go, but short answer: no. Since .40 is used by the FBI and a load of police departments, it's more readily available.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Depends where you go, but short answer: no. Since .40 is used by the FBI and a load of police departments, it's more readily available.

Correct-o-mondo ..... I have to go off the "Rock" to get .357 SIG HP's, or go to the hassle of ordering it. The local harware store stocks Federal red-box and Winchester white, but no quality hollow-points.

Cost is about the same as .40 S&W --- but the .40 has been around for a while now and probably will be as long as LEO bureaucrats don't want to move back to the .45 (?). We will see how the .357 SIG matures --- maybe I should give up and change the order to .40 caliber.

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
A4s,

It seems like overpenetration is a pretty big deal for you. In that case then just go with the .40. If you do that you won't have to worry about the over penetration issue (with the right ammo of course). The 357sig is a man stopper for sure, so I wouldn't worry about that as long as you are firing good ammo. If the over pen issue is going to bother you then get the .40 and that will give you peace of mind. Since it is going to be a carry gun then peace of mind is paramount as you must be fully confident iin the pistol and ammo that you choose to carry.
I have the P2000 in .40 and I love it. I carry it with 155 grain Gold Dots in a Galco holster. The Galco skyops holster makes the full size P2000 very concealable, and once I add the P2000SK to the inventory then I will be set for any clothing an weather.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?ProductID=2751&CatalogID=7

Once again, I think the choice comes down to peace of mind. The .357 sig is a cool caliber, and hell I even want one myself, and it is a man stopper for sure. But if you need to go with the .40, which is still a cool caliber and man stopper, to have peace of mind, then go with the .40.

Lawman

None
Why not just buy a .357 Barrel and you've essentially got both. They feed off the same mags, and have no changes to any internals except the barrel. And that way you can shoot .357 when you want to do really long range target shooting (granted a box of 50 is alot more expensive then a box of .40 cal) but you can keep the .40 loaded for your self defense ammo.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lawman said:
Why not just buy a .357 Barrel and you've essentially got both.

Yeah, I've done that with two pistols and the results are very satisfactory. I suspect, however, that it will be a LONG time before Bar-Sto or anyone else comes up with aftermarket .357 SIG barrels for the H&K P2000 SK , don't you .... ??

Lawman

None
A4sForever said:
Yeah, I've done that with two pistols and the results are very satisfactory. I suspect, however, that it will be a LONG time before Bar-Sto or anyone else comes up with aftermarket .357 SIG barrels for the H&K P2000 SK , don't you .... ??

Ill get back to you in September, I think I might know a guy back in Akron.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lawman said:
Ill get back to you in September, I think I might know a guy back in Akron.

Hey, LawDog .... if you know some magician and/or can come up with a line on an H&K P2000SK .357 barrel @ SEP time frame --- you will become my newest, best friend. In SEP, anyway ..... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hey !!! They told me 4-6 weeks for delivery a couple of days ago .... now I just got a call that the H&K P2000SK is in !!!! I switched the order to .40 S&W so that may explain it. Pickup tomorrow or the next day .... if it pleases me. It does .......

p2000sk.jpg
logo.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Hey !!! They told me 4-6 weeks for delivery a couple of days ago .... now I just got a call that the H&K P2000SK is in !!!! I switched the order to .40 S&W so that may explain it. Pickup tomorrow or the next day .... if it pleases me. It does .......

p2000sk.jpg
logo.jpg

Excellent! The Grasshopper Corps (that's a great term) would appreciate a range report.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
p2000sk.jpg
logo.jpg
p2000us.jpg

Sold the P2000 SK last week ... ordered a .40 S&W P2000 today .... supposedly here Monday or Tuesday. A form 1040 present to myself.

Obla-dee-obla-da .... la-la-la-la life goes on .... :) ... or maybe Jack Bauer has convinced me???

T

TXHusker05

The .40 S&W P2000 is a great gun. Picked one up about a week ago (mostly after re-reading this thread), it is a beautiful piece of work. Any gun good enough for Jack Bauer is good enough for me :)