• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ALERT !!! Retro Gun Thread !!! As it should be .....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Being out of the loop for the past few weeks, I noticed on return to the computer a paucity of recent AirWarriors gun threads -- you know -- GUNS -- which, for the uninitiated, relate to the military ....

Soooooooo .... to celebrate my recent "advancement" in life, I ordered one of these in .357 SIG w/Trijicons. I LIKE .........

p2000sk.jpg
logo.jpg

Specifications for the .357 SIG caliber:

Capacity : 9
Length : 6.42
Width : 1.28
Height : 4.61
Sight Radius : 5.20
Barrel Length : 2.48
Weight : 1.30lb

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Being out of the loop for the past few weeks, I noticed on return to the computer a paucity of recent AirWarriors gun threads -- you know -- GUNS -- which, for the uninitiated, relate to the military ....

Soooooooo .... to celebrate my recent "advancement" in life, I ordered one of these in .357 SIG w/Trijicons. I LIKE .........

p2000sk.jpg
logo.jpg

Specifications for the .357 SIG caliber:

Capacity : 9
Length : 6.42
Width : 1.28
Height : 4.61
Sight Radius : 5.20
Barrel Length : 2.48
Weight : 1.30lb

Ummmm......What recent 'advancement'? Maybe membership in AARP? :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
Embrace the urge... it is the inner "you" trying to surface.
Amen, Brother ..... release the "inner you". And I like your new (?) avatar .... and the "5 o'clock somewhere" allusion. Together they represent my "Happy Place" theme-song-mindset @ 1500 hours on sunny days. Of course, for practical reasons, I modified the "5" in "5 o'clock" to "1500" --- figured it was close enough --- and it gives me a two hour, fresh lime squeezin' head start on the rest of the fools.

Minus the H&K P2000 and cherry, of course .....

mvc771x17kw.jpg

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
Awesome choice. I dont know if you saw my thread but I just picked up a P2000(full size) in .40. I love the thing already. I am going to get the same gun that you had as my summer concealed carry gun in a few days. I have one on order but it has been on order for 2 months now, so good luck with getting yours. This of course means that my .40 cal Springfield XD Sub-Compact is being taken out of active duty.

Lawman

None
VetteMuscle427 said:
Embrace the urge... it is the inner "you" trying to surface.

Yeah but the Inner me doesnt have to pay for my vacation the way the outer me does.

Speaking of which (thread Hijack) anybody know any good spots to go see while Im in Pensecola? Other then the flight line! :icon_smil

RevnR6

Hey Lawman, looks like everyone on Airwarriors.com is getting a P2000. You mentioned that you like that particular pistol. I think it is time to get yourself one so that you can post up some pictures. :D :icon_smil

Lawman

None
RevnR6 said:
Hey Lawman, looks like everyone on Airwarriors.com is getting a P2000. You mentioned that you like that particular pistol. I think it is time to get yourself one so that you can post up some pictures. :D :icon_smil

You know I really havent been in the market for a new handgun, but I think If I do get one it will have to be this.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/AZC15P97.html

Somebody find me a triple retention holster for that bad boy and Ill write a check today. It'll be great to see all the bangers down on the wrong side of the river ask me If I carry a glock and then see that thing.

Lawman

None
Actually now that Ive sat around thinking about it for a few hours, Ive kinda been in the mood for a big angry wheel gun. And seeing some of those S&W Model 629's is really starting to sound good. I mean I gotta have some company in the safe for the Model 19, or all the other automatics will make fun of it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Since we're talking a short barreled semi-auto ... specifically the H&K P2000SK ... and given the preface that I thought I'd done my homework and prefered the .357 SIG cartridge to the 9mm or the .40 S&W:

What is the prevailing opinion regarding the relative effectiveness (and EVERYTHING is relative, BTW) of these three cartridges in a short barrel??? I ordered a .357 SIG, but it ain't locked in concrete. Then I read an article the other day that poo-poo'ed the .357 SIG .... TOO hot --- bullet fragmentation and overpenetration --- and I've been softly crying myself to sleep for the past two days as I had given my heart to this new "designer" cartridge. (Don't go to the .45 ACP -- my favorite -- we're talking H&K P2000SK model here and John Browning's baby ain't available ..... )

Any measured input slightly more significant that "I HAVE ... or ... I LIKE" .... ???

SpecialPurposeGreenline.jpg
.... Maraming salamat....

RevnR6

If you look at muzzle energy and velocity (which are the two biggest parts of the "stopping power equation) then you see that the .40 and .357 sig are the ways to go. What you want to look for in any caliber is the round itself. Read some articles about the different types of ammo that you are looking to shoot. I used to shoot 180 grain .40 cal but now after having done some research I am down to 155 grain bullets for my .40. I used to think "bigger bullet is better". But now I realize that what you want is a compromise between bullet weight and speed, and of course the quality of the bullet. The 155 grain bullet still provides a good amount of weight but gives you about 300fps faster speed at the muzzle. With the .357 sig I would actually go with the higher weights available for the round because it is going to have more than 1200 fps no matter what bullet you fire, and that is enough speed. That said, I have heard that there are problems with the bullets not expanding after hitting clothing, so make sure that you research the ammo that you are going to use. Its all about the ammo, not the caliber.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I've been reading that .357 SIG (*sniff*-- which I thought was my newest, best friend -- *sniff*) --- has a tendency towards OVERpenetration and fragmentation --- even with the "new" design bullets compared to .40 S&W. Underexpansion as well through clothing, as you point out. So if true, that kind of puts .357 SIG back into the arena of problems already available to anyone who chooses 9mm ..... ???

However, the Texas Dept. of Public Safety has gone .357 SIG and they "average" about 60 +/- shootings/year. They seem to like the cartridge, but shooting through "barriers" seems to be one of their criteria. Probably NOT one of mine in a defensive scenario ....

I like big, slow bullets that make big holes, slowly. But .45 is not an option is this pistol. The bullet weights depicted are all lighter than I would choose --- I just included the graphic for illustration, not as a recommendation. The jury is still out for me, I guess .....