• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

alcohol abuse

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
I'd say be honest and focus on the things you can control. I know quite a
few fellas that admitted to some "experimentation" and are now pilots/nfos. Consistency in your interviews and paperwork regarding said experimentation is important though...err so I'm told ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You seem to be obsessed w/ how much and how often you can underage-drink and how it will 'affect' your future ...

EVERYTHING COUNTS.

If you're gonna' be 'obsessed' w/ the question: JUST DO IT or go somewhere else.

Life lesson: the chips (and you) will fall where they may ...

The mere fact you're 'questioning' this and trying to 'sea lawyer' the answers means you have 'larger' problems. And I've screened/trained/flown with/hired/fired a lot of young men (not fired 'a lot' -- just some), so I know whereof I speak.

Good luck. And I'll drink to that ...

maitai.jpg
ALOHA !!!

Stellardark

Alright well thanks for all your help. I know I came across as an irresponsible kid focused on cheap thrills but I swear I'm not like that. These questions delved into my "skeletons" an apart from this history I get great grades, play lots of sports and am involved in leadership and volunteering. I still haven't given up the dream but maybe considering my current attitude/history I could use a few years to mature. OCS here I come!

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
Citizenship - I was in a squadron with a gent who had dual citizenship, US and Israeli. He was Jewish, and after college, before joining Marines, he enlisted in the Israeli army and fought on the Lebanese border with them. So AFAIK, the issue didn't rear its ugly head until he was going through the clearance process for TS. At that point he was already flying Hornets in a fleet squadron with a Secret clearance.

Drugs - I have never, ever, not once, done illegal drugs. I was surrounded by them in college, and when I would walk into a fraternity brother's room, they would tell me "hey Sam, we're about to smoke a bowl." My response was always "ok, thanks, I'll be back in 15-20 minutes." No big deal.

Drinking - I had a few drinks my freshman year, but didn't really get into it until my sophomore year. Obviously that means I drank under age. Reality here is you want agressive type A personalities doing what we do. Aggressive type A personalities tend to drink a little, maybe speed a little, etc, etc. You're not going to get kicked out because you go home and have a few beers or if you speed 10 over. What gets guys kicked out is when they get arrested for public intoxication and then resisting arrest, or for driving their sports car or crotch rocket at 100 mph+. I've known guys who have done that. Drinking is one of the few areas in society where there is a double standard on the law for college students. If you are somewhat responsible/careful, you can get away with it. If you are not in college or enlisted, you tend to get the book thrown at you.

My opinion only, and based on my experience, is that if you are careful and don't over do it, you will be ok. That said, if anybody ever asks you if you've been drinking though, and you have, you have got to fess up about it. There's room in the service for guys who do things they shouldn't be doing, but not for guys who lie about it.

My opinion only, and based on my experience, is that if you are going to do something you know you shouldn't be doing, be a man and just do it and keep your mouth shut, don't go looking for endorsements to break the rules. There's a 5 letter word that starts with p and ends with y associated with doing that.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
In other words I'm screwed. Does anyone know any naval officers who have made the cut with underage drinking admitted?

I had two Minor in Posession of Alcohol charges on my record. Still got in. Granted, I wasn't trying to get into the Academy, nor was OCS as competitive as it is today, but I ended up as a Naval Officer even though I had screwed up in a previous life. (By 'screwed up' I mean that I got caught. I probably would do it again, given the chance. Damn, high school was fun!)

I may not be the best one to seek advice from.