• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

alcohol abuse

Stellardark

Hey all so I'm currently filling out my forms for the air force, (navy soon) for entrance into USAFA if I can get in and I ran into something I am unclear about. I admitted I had tried marijuana twice in grade 11 and before I wrote down the circumstances I noticed this:

What were the dates (approximate) and circumstances surrounding each drug and/or alcohol use occurrence? Include the reason for each incident. (3000 characters max)

I have drank alcohol underage more than twice it was something really stupid that I never even really thought would affect my future but here I am today. My worst fears were that I would be disqualified for the marijuana but now I fear the same for the alcohol. The previous form didn't even ask if you drank but know you have to describe each time? I do not even know the exact number of times as it was spread out over two years but it was less than 10 times for sure. Is my military career over before it has even started?

Also I live in Canada and the drinking age here is 18. I was told that even here I would have to wait until I was 21 to drink before it was acceptable to the military is this true? Thank you for any information.

GreenLantern330

You live in Canada? Are you a citizen of Canada? I could be wrong, but I think you can't have dual citizenship to be an officer in the United States Military. As far as the alcohol/drug questions, use the search function. There's an entire thread about drugs and waivers.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You're thinking way too hard. Talk about the mari-jewana, but until it says "Have you ever been under the influence of alcohol, and if so, what were the cicrumstances?" then you don't even need to talk about it. If your sweaty teenager palm is still feaking out about it, then own up to an approximate number of times and a time frame. Be brief, be brilliant, and be done. You don't need a 5 paragraph essay about the 10 times you got buzzed on hard apple cider.

You're not screwed. If you're freaking out over this then you need to be slapped.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You live in Canada? Are you a citizen of Canada? I could be wrong, but I think you can't have dual citizenship to be an officer in the United States Military. As far as the alcohol/drug questions, use the search function. There's an entire thread about drugs and waivers.

You can keep your dual citizen ship up through the end of your sophomore year. If you decide to sign your 2-for-7 (the agreement that says "Should I finish the course of study at the academy, I'll serve 5 years active duty. If I can't finish, the Navy can do with me what it will), you have to formally renounce your citizen ship to the other nation. (I know this b/c I have a couple friends I went through USNA with that held dual citizenship... one Brazilian, one Canadian).

GreenLantern330

You can keep your dual citizen ship up through the end of your sophomore year. If you decide to sign your 2-for-7 (the agreement that says "Should I finish the course of study at the academy, I'll serve 5 years active duty. If I can't finish, the Navy can do with me what it will), you have to formally renounce your citizen ship to the other nation. (I know this b/c I have a couple friends I went through USNA with that held dual citizenship... one Brazilian, one Canadian).

Thanks for the clarification, bubba!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If I drink in Canada where I am legal is that still grounds for denial or expulsion from the academies?

Seriously? Yes... it's grounds for immediate expulsion or denial of admission without a retry.

Me thinks you should worry less about how to get a quick drink in and more about making your package look better. You're already at a disadvantage because of your past drug use. There are enough of us (myself included) that have NEVER used an illegal drug. I'd worry about that more than how you're going to scam a drink.

That being said, if you drink in Canada when not on official Academy business, no one's going to say anything as long as you're smart about it. But like I said, maybe you should stop trying to figure out how to scam your next drink and more about making your package better. (You may sense a trend here...)

Stellardark

Seriously? Yes... it's grounds for immediate expulsion or denial of admission without a retry.

Me thinks you should worry less about how to get a quick drink in and more about making your package look better. You're already at a disadvantage because of your past drug use. There are enough of us (myself included) that have NEVER used an illegal drug. I'd worry about that more than how you're going to scam a drink.

That being said, if you drink in Canada when not on official Academy business, no one's going to say anything as long as you're smart about it. But like I said, maybe you should stop trying to figure out how to scam your next drink and more about making your package better. (You may sense a trend here...)

Ok thanks I wasn't sure on that but you just confirmed my initial thoughts. I was just verifying to make sure I don't make an even bigger mistake later. (it's my 18th birthday soon and my cousins are talking about taking me out to the bar.)

Thank you for all of your input.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Isn't the pending purchase of Canada in it's entirety part of the President's stimulus 2 plan? You know- part of the opaque plan.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Ok thanks I wasn't sure on that but you just confirmed my initial thoughts. I was just verifying to make sure I don't make an even bigger mistake later. (it's my 18th birthday soon and my cousins are talking about taking me out to the bar.)

Thank you for all of your input.

You do realize I was being sarcastic in the first line, right?

Stellardark

Oh haha, now I'm confused.

Technically I already know the answer and just wanted to see your responses. A lady from DoDmerb already told me the answer :"Yes, the same philosophy holds true for countries where marijuana is legal. Here in the US, marijuana is illegal and the legal drinking age is 21. "

It caught me off guard a bit because I always figured the issue was illegal consumption not any consumption. I figured I'd ask because its going to be a bit weird when all of my friends go to the bar, clubs and I can't join them.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
when all of my friends go to the bar, clubs and I can't join them.

A great time to hit the books, engage in some PT, community service, or anything to improve your chances for acceptance into the program.
BzB