• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airspeed Restriction Below "B"

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Xs less than ASAPs = people aren't doing it.

Yeah.....but WHO didn't do theirs.

Plausible deniability is awesome.

Then again, I don't think anybody on my base, much less in my squadron has ever heard of ASAP so I don't really give a shit.

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
I always enjoyed writing funny comments in the ASAP knowing that someone in safety had to go through and read them all, anonymity is great

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think ASAP will make more "sense" when it's paired with HUMS/IMDS/whatever flight recorder you have in the unholy alliance of Military Flight Operations Quality Assurance (MFOQA). Your aircraft will be recording all the stupid things you're not telling Mom and Dad about, but after the flight it will flag maintenance control that limits have been exceeded.

I'm waiting for the day when people start getting stupid about exceeding AOB limits. How do I know if I've exceeded it when there's not tick mark for it? I guess you should just put that on every ASAP at that point.

"Possibly exceeded AOB limits."

Xs less than ASAPs = people aren't doing it.

Shouldn't that be Xs more than ASAPs? Regardless, pretty much the entire squadron was on the same page as Harrier Dude. The problem was that no one was doing them, which eventually was "noticed" by higher ups (higher than the squadron or wing).

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Toward the end of my first tour, our squadron briefly dabbled in ASAP. When I say briefly, I mean it was mentioned at an AOM, people did one or two, found it annoying, realized that since it was anonymous, there was no way to tell if you'd done it, and filling out another report to say "nothing happened" is a waste of time. With that, the problem sorted itself out and we never heard of it again. I seem to remember something like that.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Toward the end of my first tour, our squadron briefly dabbled in ASAP. When I say briefly, I mean it was mentioned at an AOM, people did one or two, found it annoying, realized that since it was anonymous, there was no way to tell if you'd done it, and filling out another report to say "nothing happened" is a waste of time. With that, the problem sorted itself out and we never heard of it again. I seem to remember something like that.

Common sense triumphing over redundant bureaucracy?

I love it! That can't last, though. That's exactly how we were about ORM worksheets for the first year or so that they existed.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Common sense triumphing over redundant bureaucracy?

I love it! That can't last, though. That's exactly how we were about ORM worksheets for the first year or so that they existed.

Heresy! How can you possibly be safe unless you assign a letter to your flight?!? You couldn't possibly plan and brief to your audience without labeling the flight a VL, L, M, or H.

SAFETY VIOLATOR!

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
My favorite from some of the youguns I've flown with recently, "we'll call today's flight a Medium, but with after a good brief it'll be down to a Low..." :confused:

(what happens if its a terrible brief? Should I cancel?)

MasterBates

It's a Hawkeye. Our props suck, and don't like to feather. And our engines randomly shit themselves requiring the prop to work.

All flights are a H UFN.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I've never adhered to </= 200 kts in the Hornet anywhere, except the landing pattern. That being said, I'm probably one of the only guys out there who pays attention to 250 below 10k while in socal airspace....at least if I'm a singleton. I think there is a broad misconception that we have a blanket waiver everywhere to exceed that, which we don't, and I don't buy the safety card.....250 is plenty safe in a Hornet.

You must not like gas. Do you take off with the dumps on also?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
My understanding for the airspeed waiver is also for nose visibility. At 250 knots the nose is parked up higher than it is at 300 kts. At least that what was told to me in Fams. Clearly, Lemoore isn't class B but unless specifically requested to slow, I wouldn't think of being at 200 clean, and I wouldn't want to dirty that early.

gotta_fly

pilot
... FASFAC ...

I work with them all the time and have nothing positive to say about them. GIANT KILLER I believe is a part of this organization and they are by far the least capable ATC I've encountered. The downright stupid stuff they do would be laughable if it weren't so dangerous. On the topic of ASAP, fly with GIANT KILLER if you want some actual safety scenarios to write about.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I work with them all the time and have nothing positive to say about them. GIANT KILLER I believe is a part of this organization and they are by far the least capable ATC I've encountered. The downright stupid stuff they do would be laughable if it weren't so dangerous. On the topic of ASAP, fly with GIANT KILLER if you want some actual safety scenarios to write about.

A certain run-in with a KC-10 comes to mind, yes? That was mostly their (Giant Killer's) fuck up, right?

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
I was only ever in a position to be beneath class B two times. Both were doing the San Francisco Bay tour while in a Viper. I filed and called before taking off. Both times I told them my aircraft type and was able to get 230 knots instead of the 200. They were pretty cool about it, but I had coordinated ahead of time.

As far as the 250 below 10k feet I would typically depart the runway in a max AB take off. Climbing out in mil power at 250 doesn't give you much forward visibility in a Hornet, Rhino, or Viper. Rather than claim my 350 knots for visibility over the nose from NATOPS, I would just stand up the throttles and climb at a lower VSI going 250 knots. At joint use fields that were less busy I would still do the 350 climb out.