• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airspeed Restriction Below "B"

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
it could be a decent program, if it weren't another piece of paper to fill out / complete post flight, and therefore it understandably gets dropped by the wayside. Oh, and it doesn't work underway...

This brings up a thread jack I've been wondering about. Do all of the other communities have to deal with the admin nightmare post flight? Since we lost Nalcomis, we now have to log the flight in OOMA, then strip the mntx card, then upstairs to log the flight again in SHARP and then log an ASAP report as well. Basically it's 30 minutes before we can even start our de-brief process.

KBayDog

This brings up a thread jack I've been wondering about. Do all of the other communities have to deal with the admin nightmare post flight? Since we lost Nalcomis, we now have to log the flight in OOMA, then strip the mntx card, then upstairs to log the flight again in SHARP and then log an ASAP report as well. Basically it's 30 minutes before we can even start our de-brief process.

We started out that way - NALCOMIS...then OOMA...then OOMA for maintenance and MSHARP for Ops (and stand the hell by if OOMA and MSHARP weren't a perfect match)...and finally MSHARP only (Maint Admin would download MSHARP NAVFLIRS into OOMA for the maintenance side of things).

Now I've moved on to TIMS.

NALCOMIS, OOMA, SHARP, MSHARP, and TIMS...oh, and Yellow Sheets. Have I missed any flight records systems?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I miss the multiple quote button...

We have a program similar to the NASA ASRS called "ASAP" (Aviation Safety Awareness Program). It's similar to ASRS in that it's a way to anonymously report aviation safety/procedural/etc. issues, with no retribution. One "shall" be completed after each flight, even if there is nothing to report.

Unlike ASRS, however, there is no online database of "So there I was..." stories (yet?). Certain personnel in the squadron safety departments have access to ASAP narratives, and will sometimes use them for squadron training or to address trends with the appropriate agencies, but it seems that ASAP is more about data collection (at least for now). Are there any ASAP ninjas out there who could inform us of the inner workings of ASAP?

Unfortunately, ASAP doesn't actually prevent anything bad happening to you. Yes it's anonymous, but as such, it's not like you can't still get violated unanonymously...or at least yelled at by the Wing for doing something that may have been perfectly legal.

phrog73 said:
Nope. Quantico is considered "local area" for us, so the only thing we have to do is file an SFRA flight plan. Problem is - you have to file an entry flight plan, and an exit flight plan...
Your story sounds like something similar that happened to me working out of Opa Locka a few months ago (sans CAP). We did everything right and talked to Approach to let them know we were leaving the ADIZ (for a gunnex) and would need to reenter. They gave us a squawk and said to call them when we were back up (I explained we'd be out of radio due to altitude for an hour). When we came back up and checked in, again explaining why we were there, they let us come back into the ADIZ w/out incident. Turns out FASFAC was freaked out about something (the same FASFAC I've tried to call when flying off the boat in previous experience and who wouldn't answer) and wondered where we were coming from. They called the Coast Guard station (our base) to see what was going on, since they assumed it was them. Contrary to popular belief, you don't actually need MODE 4 to penetrate an ADIZ and that was WAY beyond FASFAC's SA (among other things). In the end it wasn't that big a deal (I was the HAC and had the CO as my co-pilot, so he knew we did everything right), but still annoying.

RLSO said:
Slow it down on a TACAN into NSE....!? That controller should be fired for not being able to keep up with a turboprop.

The controller in question is actually a VERY good controller and would come in for IGS and always had/has the IP's best interest in mind. He was able to keep up just fine, he was just reminding by buddy about the rules, which was completely within reason.

This sounds more like bored controllers trying to make sure those danged navy boys know who's in charge! I mean really, if they're sweating the speed of T-34s and T-6's around NW FL.... Sucks to be you guys.

I don't pretend to equate a T-34 or even a T-6 with a pointy-nose and its speed, but the sheer volume of traffic combined with a person at the controls whose brain is operating at about 80 knots makes this a completely reasonable request. While I was there, there was on giant asshole who ususally worked the southern area, otherwise the controllers were pretty forgiving and pretty good considering they were moving Class B levels of traffic with Class C manning. And when they needed to in order to fix a problem, you would get the "I need all instructors to answer radio calls..." and things would get sorted.

MasterBates

I've never in my life heard of this ASAP program. Am I supposed to be using it?

It sounds like yet another Safety Center attempt to collect a billion data points, do absolutely ZERO analysis on that data, and then hide all anecdotal lessons learned from all of us because of "privilege".

Does that about cover it?
Nailed it

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

KBayDog

Unfortunately, ASAP doesn't actually prevent anything bad happening to you. Yes it's anonymous, but as such, it's not like you can't still get violated unanonymously...or at least yelled at by the Wing for doing something that may have been perfectly legal.

Really? That's unfortunate.

I realize that "anonymous" is a misnomer, especially when one ASAP is submitted from the only line on the schedule, but that leaves the possibility that potentially important information isn't going to be shared (due to possible retribution). Oh well.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

I think Gator meant that in the sense that ASAP is not a get-out-of-jail-free card (which a NASA report can be under most circumstances).

When it comes to retribution, anecdotally I've seen some training commands treat a particularly ASAP juicy report a lot like privileged information and avoid trying to narrow down whodunnit- while strongly hinting with, "If you write something in an ASAP report then you can still come forward and talk to someone in Safety about it." (As it turned out the report in question really was a big misunderstanding.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I realize that "anonymous" is a misnomer, especially when one ASAP is submitted from the only line on the schedule, but that leaves the possibility that potentially important information isn't going to be shared (due to possible retribution). Oh well.

Yeah, it gets billed as a program "like the airlines use, where if you report something, it gives you some leeway..." but that's not how it's actually managed. And talk to an airline pilot sometime about how their program works compared to ASAP and it's nowhere near the same.

My question was always: if it's anonymous, how do you know I haven't done it? Apparently the answer is if NO ONE is doing it in your command, then they know. True story.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Just an msharp. Unless you dropped a GBU or fired the laser

KBayDog

Eh, my only gripe with ASAP is that (thanks to NMCI...or TIMS...) it takes foooooreeeeevvvvveeeerrrr to log on and sign in just to click a button that says that nothing happened, and then it takes foooooorrreeeeevvvveeeerrrr to log off of the computer. It's seriously taken 10+ minutes at times, especially depending on which computer you're stuck with at the time. (There's one slow mofo computer in particular that I'm going to go all "Resurrection" on...some of you know which one I'm talking about...) :mad:

6a00d83422658053ef00e54f62e4358834-800wi1.jpg

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If nothing happened, you have up to 5 days after the fact to say that nothing happened - and you can access ASAP from your home computer/NMCI/TIMS/smartphone/what have you to do it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I think ASAP will make more "sense" when it's paired with HUMS/IMDS/whatever flight recorder you have in the unholy alliance of Military Flight Operations Quality Assurance (MFOQA). Your aircraft will be recording all the stupid things you're not telling Mom and Dad about, but after the flight it will flag maintenance control that limits have been exceeded.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
My question was always: if it's anonymous, how do you know I haven't done it? Apparently the answer is if NO ONE is doing it in your command, then they know. True story.
Xs less than ASAPs = people aren't doing it.