• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airspace and Chart geekery

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Tracking all that. Thanks, @Jim123 . I was expecting a South flow, which is why I figured I might given an Arrival, especially since I'll probably file for 10K' to knock another .5 GPH off the flow for the same speed. I won't have much slop left on fuel before minimums if there's much wind. And yes, I have multiple fuel diverts along the way.

Your GPS might depict the altitude at SASIE as mandatory. Some of the boxes are sort of programmed to do that- you're just supposed to know what the chart says and not press the buttons too quickly when you're programming the STAR. Or it might depict the altitude using slightly smaller numbers (to indicate advisory instead of mandatory) and you're supposed to go "ah, these numbers look a little different."

Yeah, not sure what it will say. I also don't have the altitude function turned on the map screen, so unless I hang out in the FPL mode, I may not even see those. I was thinking that the SASIE altitude was mandatory, since it has the double lines, but saw the "Expect" on there, as well, which was part of why I was asking.

I'm fully expecting a SID out, which will be to the SW, but won't really interfere with DFW. I think it has more to do with the MOA to the west, although it should be a 3-day weekend, so I'm expecting it to be cold. We'll see!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At the time Commerce Sec Ron Brown was killed in the USAF crash in the Balkans, I was a Reservist on the staff of NAVEUR. The ADM's NATO hat was Commander Allied Forces Southern Europe, so he was fighting that "war". As some may recall a factor was misreading a non-DOD approach plate. SECDEF ultimately decreed all US military flights would only use DOD charts. No allied country charts. Especially no Jepps. There was a very high reliance on non DOD charts in Europe. Could not even use them for diverts. So we practically became a VFR air force over night. I drilled in the UK and happened to be in the office (flex drill) for several days when the news broke. The airboss thought as an airline pilot I had a better handle on IFR stuff and Jepps in particular, so he told me to find a way around the SECDEF's order. I learned a lot real quick about what it takes to publish a DOD procedure and validate even NATO military procedures and pubs. We could use each others ammo and fuel and operate from each other's bases, but the aviation chart world was separate from everything. Funniest thing was the first call I made on getting the assignment. I called USAFE in Stuttgart and asked them what they were doing about the problem. "Nothing" they said. The USAF was incredulous that we were trying to find a way to return to normal ops. For DOD to validate NATO procedures or get training designed and approved for Jepps usage would have taken many months. They were just going to sit it out.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Tracking all that. Thanks, @Jim123 . I was expecting a South flow, which is why I figured I might given an Arrival, especially since I'll probably file for 10K' to knock another .5 GPH off the flow for the same speed. I won't have much slop left on fuel before minimums if there's much wind. And yes, I have multiple fuel diverts along the way.
Pro tip for piston airplane/general aviation CCX in the eastern part of the country. 10k and up usually means you're talking to Center, which means fewer frequency changes when your hands are busy, uh... taking a drink of water.

For a long, westbound flight, don't forget your window sunshades (available in the aviation supply section of the local auto parts store).

I mentioned the avionics mandatory-vs-expect symbology thing just in case it might save a "what the...?" moment in the cockpit.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
For something unique, the owner of my airfield (a bit of a nut, but in a fun way) painted FCLP markings on our runway because there are a number of former navy guys flying there. He had to place a notice in the AFD! The landing area is about 100 feet shorter than a Nimitz Class and 125 more than the old Essex Class.

I can’t seem to post a screen shot, but you can find in on Google Maps by typing in Potomac Airfield, Friendly MD. The FCLP is RW 24.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For something unique, the owner of my airfield (a bit of a nut, but in a fun way) painted FCLP markings on our runway because there are a number of former navy guys flying there. He had to place a notice in the AFD! The landing area is about 100 feet shorter than a Nimitz Class and 125 more than the old Essex Class.

I can’t seem to post a screen shot, but you can find in on Google Maps by typing in Potomac Airfield, Friendly MD. The FCLP is RW 24.
So what you're saying is someone took the old joke about "the ball is just a crutch for a poor deck-spotter" a little too literally. :)

jmcquate

Contributor
That's hilarious, What are those unicom calls like..........."Potomac traffic, 27T in the break, Potomac traffic"....."Potomac traffic, 27T in the 180, Potomac traffic"....."Potomac traffic, Skyhawk ball .13, Potomac traffic".

jmcquate

Contributor
The math is out there- couldn’t one be fashioned? That’s a weekend project and a half...

Pags

N/A
pilot
That's hilarious, What are those unicom calls like..........."Potomac traffic, 27T in the break, Potomac traffic"....."Potomac traffic, 27T in the 180, Potomac traffic"....."Potomac traffic, Skyhawk ball .13, Potomac traffic".
Ad in a few more "uhs" and some ad hominems and it's about right.