• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airsickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laxanation

what's the deal with airsickness? Are aviators allowed to get airsick? Are they allowed to take pills for it before a flight?
Are the restrictions the same for NFO?

Why would anyone want to be an NFO or pilot if they have uncontrollable airsickness...but if they can control it with medicine, is that allowed?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A guy I know that was a 1/C when I was a 4/C got sick on EVERY flight. They eventually sent him to "boot school", where they put him in a centerfuge I believe, and made him throw up twice a day. After 6 weeks of that, he was ok. HOWEVER, he was completely precluded from high-performance aircraft (i.e. jets). Sucked too, because when he selected, he had the scores and the slot was there for him. Oh well. He flies SH-60B now.

jaerose

Just to clarify, what's a 1/C and 4/C etc? That would be funny if they weren't allowed to get airsick...'now listen here, if you puke you eat it!' On second thought, it's not that funny.

JR

Laxanation

I agree with jaerose. Too bad for the guy in the centerfuge....he probably has to get weekly treatments in that thing. Poor guy hahhha. Sorry

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A 1/C is a senior midshipman, a 4/C is a freshman midshipman.

He doesn't puke anymore, but used to all the time. One time he ALMOST made it through a flight without puking, then while turning base-final on approach he threw up all over the cockpit. The instructor said something to the effect of "WHAT THE F&CK?! DID YOUR F*CKING HEAD JUST EXPLODE?!" LOL

Laxanation

well i didn't know you could "cure" airsickness. that's cool. doesn't sound fun to do it, but cool none the less.

goldwingdreams

On base to final?!? Either he had a REALLY weak stomach or he had been doing a good job of holding it in the whole flight.

My pops told me a story about when he was in Primary back in 66, the intructors used to love to f with the newguys on their intro flights. They would take them up and pull a whole bunch of negative Gs and stuff to try and get them to lose their lunch. My dad was smart enough to lay off the heavy lunch before hand but still pissed himself pretty good when the intructor pushed the nose over into a dive. That sucks. Thank god for cabin air or he would have been given a pretty embarrasing callsign.

farkle84

i have heard of midshipman getting their summer tour rides in the hornet and they puke the first couple of times, and then after a while they get the hang of the feeling of the jet, some never get used to it and throwup all the time. but i know you can put a puke bag in your G-suit just incase. that way you dont have to swallow it or puke down your flight suit or piss off the MOs by throwing up in the cockpit.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, friend of mine threw up on a Hornet flight on his CORTRAMID. He had a puke bag thankfully. Guess what happens if you puke in the cockpit? You clean it. Ick. A good warning sign is profuse sweating. You'll start that RIGHT before you puke.

Courtney

Anyone have any experience in the centerfuge? I have to take my first ride in one this fall. Do they only have one axes, or is their some lateral motion? Any info would be great. Also, how does the average person feel once they get out?

Thanks, Courtney

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Originally posted by jaerose
Couldn't that be just an elaborate way to cover up his bulimia?

JR

That's about the funniest thing I've seen all day...but I mean, you gotta what you gotta do right?

jaerose

Ryoukai, you know it probably gets uncomfortable sticking your finger down your throat and if you're lazy, but want to keep your weight within Navy regs...why not just pull G's until you purge due to motion sickness...who's gonna know?

FlyNavy, what if you sweat profusely anyways? I, er, this guy I know pours out sweat bending over to tie his shoes...so how will I, er, he know when he's going to vomit? Seriously, the guy's pores are like an intricate sprinkler system set to 'high' all the time...freakin' Niagra Falls!

JR

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
LOL I like you jaerose. You're funny.

What happened to him (and is fairly standard) is he wasn't sweating, was actually cotton mouth, and then out of NO WHERE he had like a sweat dump. Poooooooured out of his helmet, right before he puked.

farkle84

i am one of those sweaty guys. i sweat like a mother f**ker. even when i am sitting in the cockpit doing nothing, you should see me after the freaking gym. but at least i know my pores are working

Status
Not open for further replies.