• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

airsickness prognosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
kray1395 said:
.......... I do try and make sure that I'm not flying on an empty stomach. I also have taken to drinking a can of Canada Dry Ginger Ale during the brief. ........Long live the Pukin' Dogs and maybe one day I can be part of them again, albeit, in a different aircraft.

HOOOOAH !!! (that is how we used to phonetically "pronounce" it when the "term" first came out, BTW) .... I am glad to see you found something that works. Empty stomach (unless you counted a cup of black coffee, chocolate covered donut, and a cigarette) worked for me ......

Hope you do the Pukin' Dogs proud someday ....

kray1395

Did them proud today!!! Again!!! First BI flight. The recovery from unusual attitudes got me started in the wrong the direction and the spatial disorientation demo finished me off. Filled up another Sic Sac® in honor of VF-143. I suupose there's only so much acclimation you can be expected to have accomplished having only had 5 flights in the aircraft. Good news is, no more unusual attitude recoveries, at least the kind we do on purpose. Certainly not too worried. If you ask someone to close their eyes, twist the airplane around in ways it would not normally be maneuvered, and have them put their head down towards their knee, then back up to look at the AOA indicator, what can you expect?? I'll tell you what you can expect. Expect the controls to be handed right back to you for about 2-3 minutes. Ahhhh, good times.

AprilFool

All right kiddo -
I used to do a lot of offshore sailing and these are the things that I noticed about motion sickness. That rapid onset of nausea is very typical. General health is the key - the more tired, hot/cold, wet, hungry, sick (like infected), HUNGOVER - the worse life is. Combat what you can - be well rested, well fed, and clear headed. As for food, I always had my guys eat nutritious (sp?) food in moderation - nothing heavy like burgers. Grease is great for hangovers, lousy for motion sickness. Lots of carbs probably are not a great idea either. I would probably eat a piece of fruit, like a banana. It has lots of good stuff, plus if you can't keep it down, it tastes the same coming up (I'm not kidding). The stuff you can't control (heat, cramped space), blow it off - you'll get used to it. That is part of the mind game aspect. The mind will control, to a certain extent, your body. Take a couple of deep breaths, reduce the urge to panic about the oncoming hurl, and it just might go away. Finally, tell the IP to knock it off, get your eyes on the horizon, and put your hand on the stick (even if it just involves feeling the inputs that the IP is making). Almost everyone gets a little queasy their first time flying and it usually is not the last time it happens.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Hehehe... just wait until BFMs... oooh boy... all that twisting and turning your head around... I threw up like no other...

And they're now VFA-143... F/A-18Es ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.